Beautiful weather in the NW!

Old November 15th 05, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Beautiful weather in the NW!

A big ol' high pressure has taken over the Northwest and I've been flying!
Yesterday I rolled out the Savannah and headed for the Oregon coast. I flew
straight to Siletz airstrip, got rid of excess coffee and then headed up the
coast. At 1000 MSL I could watch sea lions, gulls, pellicans, and humans
walking on the beach. We have had some wet weather, so lots of water falls
could be seen cascading into the ocean around Cascade head and Cape Lookout.
I did touch and goes at Seaside and Astoria, then crossed the Columbia and
did another T&G at Ilwaco. There was lots of ship and barge traffic on the
river as I headed inland. Another full stop for bio break and a drink at
Kelso/Longview. My last stop before heading home was a T&G at Woodland.
This is a neat little strip just yards east of I5. As I was on final, at
only 45 mph, the cars were passing me by, but then when I touched down, and
punched the throttle, I quickly accelerated to pass those cars. Going home
I followed the Columbia down to Portland, then the Willamette to Corvallis,
my home. All in all, 345 miles, 4.7 hours of pure joy. Yeah, if you did
the math, my plane is slow. All the better for sight seeing. Did I mention
that this trip only took 17 gallons of premium Mogas?
tom pettit

Old November 15th 05, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2005-11-15, tom pettit wrote:
My last stop before heading home was a T&G at Woodland.
This is a neat little strip just yards east of I5.

Wow, I thought *landing* at W27 took courage. I didn't know anyone was
crazy enough to do T&Gs!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 15th 05, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm cheating with my little airplane. While slow at 80-90 mph cruise speed,
the slatted wings give lots of lift and the beauty will take off in less
than 150 feet and land in about 200.

tom: crazy, but safe

Old November 16th 05, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Old November 16th 05, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2005-11-16, Chris G. nospam@noemail wrote:

Any suggestions for landing at Siletz Bay? That's on of the
destinations I want to go to with my wife.

It's a great coast destination. If you walk out of the the parking area
to 101 you can cross one direction of the highway, climb a set of stairs
set in the hill and cross the other side. There's a restaurant right
there, and you can get to the beach by walking through the nearby
neighborhoods.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 16th 05, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"tom pettit peak org" tompetatdot wrote in message
I'm cheating with my little airplane. While slow at 80-90 mph cruise
speed, the slatted wings give lots of lift and the beauty will take off in
less than 150 feet and land in about 200.

tom: crazy, but safe

OK, What is it?

Mike
MU-2

Old November 16th 05, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It's a Savannah kitplane by ICP. See http://www.skykits.com/ for details.
Some would say it's a rip-off of the Zenith CH701 STOL, while the more
enlightened would say it's an improvement. 8-)

tom pettit

nk.net...

Old November 16th 05, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"tom pettit peak org" tompetatdot wrote in message
It's a Savannah kitplane by ICP. See http://www.skykits.com/ for details.
Some would say it's a rip-off of the Zenith CH701 STOL, while the more
enlightened would say it's an improvement. 8-)

tom pettit

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...

"tom pettit peak org" tompetatdot wrote in message
I'm cheating with my little airplane. While slow at 80-90 mph cruise
speed, the slatted wings give lots of lift and the beauty will take off
in less than 150 feet and land in about 200.

tom: crazy, but safe

OK, What is it?

Mike
MU-2

Cool airplane. I am particularly impressed by the claim that the parts are
so dimensionally accurate that no fabrication is required!

Mike
MU-2

Old November 16th 05, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Cool airplane. I am particularly impressed by the claim that the parts
are so dimensionally accurate that no fabrication is required!

See Tom and his plane he

http://alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery_i_-_p.htm#P
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 16th 05, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A big ol' high pressure has taken over the Northwest and I've been flying!

Enjoy it, man. We've been socked in here for a week, and last night we got
hit with a nasty ice/snow storm.

I'm expecting FEMA to roll in any minute...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA