A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Jonathan Leal's big day! 1000km 126 attempt from Mifflin

Old April 20th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Jonathan Leal's big day! 1000km 126 attempt from Mifflin

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 9:13:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 8:58:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Annnnd he's up! John Bird, the deputy official observer reports Jonathan launched at 7:11am. SPOT shows him now driving along the Tuscorara. It's 8:50 and it looks like he's just about rounded the first turnpoint. That puts him around 35 minutes behind his planned schedule, but with an hour and 15 of buffer built into the task, he's got plenty of margin.

Now he'll be looking at making some speed along the long, flat run on the Tuscarora toward the Susquehanna River. He'll have two small transitions to make; one downwind at Sidneys Knob and an upwind run at Honey Grove. But these jumps are not all that big and they probably won't even require turning.

The tricky bit kicks into gear when he will have to negotiate the major transitions after the Susquehanna River toward Hawk Mountain. However, the TAFs report cloudbase at 4000ft and rising, so the thermals should be working solid once he gets there.

- Daniel

All the best,
Daniel

Here is the direct SPOT link: https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...qAltJnJlc9 qz

Shucks! Jonathan landed out near Millerstown on the downwind jump from Tuscarora to the Mahantango. Oh well .

Jonathan reported a safe landout, in a beautiful field, uphill.

All the best,
Daniel
Old April 21st 18, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

There is a place marked on map with link to OLC of a ASW-24E that comes within 29 ft of ground while attempting a transition.

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 4:14:41 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Howdy,

There is a separate layer for the crash sites over the years and a description as to what happened and why... so the same mistakes can be avoided.

The orange and yellow boxes are landing options. Yellow options are places where people had successfully landed or has been walked on the ground. Orange are places that have been marked, either from a flying glider or by Google Earth as a possible viable option. The plan is to walk those sites when practicable.

All the best,
Daniel

Old April 21st 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 10:33:13 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
There is a place marked on map with link to OLC of a ASW-24E that comes within 29 ft of ground while attempting a transition.

There's a reason why that layer is called "Crash Sites/Close Calls"

People make mistakes. My attitude (and that of the safety committee of ACA) is to make sure that folks learn from mistakes and not make them again... and help other folks avoid those errors too.

Ridge flying is risky business and you have to treat it very seriously if you want to do it for a long time and not wreck an airplane (or hurt yourself). That layer exists also to make a point that the consequences are severe if you stop respecting this.

Lastly, I believe that sharing information and stories helps everyone. I am the one that has compiled a lot of the data on the Ridge Map (and the flight you're referring to). Please don't make me regret putting the more embarrassing moments people had experienced as learning tools for others by calling those pilots out on a public forum...

Best Regards,
Daniel
Old April 21st 18, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Why would you "regret putting the more embarrassing moments..." ? This map is a good tool. Would love to have something like this for the Sierra's and Nephi region.
Jon

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 8:14:11 PM UTC-7, Daniel Sazhin wrote:

People make mistakes. My attitude (and that of the safety committee of ACA) is to make sure that folks learn from mistakes and not make them again.... and help other folks avoid those errors too.

Ridge flying is risky business and you have to treat it very seriously if you want to do it for a long time and not wreck an airplane (or hurt yourself). That layer exists also to make a point that the consequences are severe if you stop respecting this.

Lastly, I believe that sharing information and stories helps everyone. I am the one that has compiled a lot of the data on the Ridge Map (and the flight you're referring to). Please don't make me regret putting the more embarrassing moments people had experienced as learning tools for others by calling those pilots out on a public forum...

Best Regards,
Daniel

Old April 21st 18, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Very cool map, Daniel.
I was always concerned about the Sharp Mountain / Second Mountain ridges.
Jonathon, try this link to an incomplete map for the Sierras and a bit into the Great Basin, started by Michael Reid.
Jim

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m....27124&t=p&z=7

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 8:38:06 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Why would you "regret putting the more embarrassing moments..." ? This map is a good tool. Would love to have something like this for the Sierra's and Nephi region.
Jon

People make mistakes. My attitude (and that of the safety committee of ACA) is to make sure that folks learn from mistakes and not make them again.... and help other folks avoid those errors too.

Best Regards,
Daniel

Old April 22nd 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Thank you so much!

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 9:07:09 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Very cool map, Daniel.
I was always concerned about the Sharp Mountain / Second Mountain ridges.
Jonathon, try this link to an incomplete map for the Sierras and a bit into the Great Basin, started by Michael Reid.
Jim

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m....27124&t=p&z=7

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 8:38:06 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Jon

People make mistakes. My attitude (and that of the safety committee of ACA) is to make sure that folks learn from mistakes and not make them again... and help other folks avoid those errors too.

Lastly, I believe that sharing information and stories helps everyone.. I am the one that has compiled a lot of the data on the Ridge Map (and the flight you're referring to). Please don't make me regret putting the more embarrassing moments people had experienced as learning tools for others by calling those pilots out on a public forum...

Best Regards,
Daniel