SSA Convention Tentative Schedule?

Old November 22nd 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default SSA Convention Tentative Schedule?

Could not find one on the SSA web site. Is this available anyplace?

Old November 23rd 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mechelle

On Nov 21, 10:06*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
Could not find one on the SSA web site. Is this available anyplace?

What are you looking for? The schedule hasn't been finalized yet.
Old November 24th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno

On Nov 23, 12:11*pm, Mechelle wrote:
On Nov 21, 10:06*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:

Could not find one on the SSA web site. Is this available anyplace?

What are you looking for? The schedule hasn't been finalized yet.

We would all love to see even a tentative list of seminar topics and
presenters.

Thanks,
Bruno -B4
Old November 24th 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

On Nov 23, 2:11*pm, Mechelle wrote:
On Nov 21, 10:06*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:

Could not find one on the SSA web site. Is this available anyplace?

What are you looking for? The schedule hasn't been finalized yet.

I don't know about others, but it would help for planning purposes.
I'm probably not going to be able to go for the full convention. If I
had an idea of the schedule, I could make reservations, being awre of
the possibility of changes.

Charlie
Old November 24th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

I'm not going to make reservations to a convention if I don't have any idea
what is being offered.

Mike Schumann

Old November 24th 09, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

SSA CONVENTION JAN 27 - 30, 2010
Little Rock, Arkansas USA

SOARING SAFETY FOUNDATION Activities.
(If you think training and safety does not apply to you, note that
based on recent history, one of every 2,000 SSA members will die in a
glider related accident in 2010.)

JAN 26 - 27 (Tuesday & Wednesday) 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM FIRC
The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) conducts a FAA approved glider-
specific Flight Instructor Refresher Clinic (FIRC) all day on Tuesday
and Wednesday, JAN 26 and 27. CFIG's wanting to renew their
certificates, CFI wanna-be's and all pilots interested in the latest
procedures and teaching techniques are welcome to attend.
Registration required via the SSA website.

JAN 27 (Wednesday) 6:00 PM SSF Safety Seminar (open / free).
Meeting room will be well-signed.

JAN 28 (Thursday) 7:30 AM SSF Flight Instructors and Towpilots
Breakfast / aerotow training discussion. Registration required.

OSTIV international training and safety track speakers:

JAN 28 (Thursday)
0900 Prof. Ir. Loek Boermans-Delft University, The Netherlands
1000 Rich Carlson, SSF Chairman
1100 ^Capt. Stephen Dee^-SSF Trustee
1330 Adrian Schwitalla-Germany-LBA
1430 ^Dipl. Ing. Ian Oldaker^-Canada-OSTIV TSP Chairman
1530 ^Capt. Ron Ridenour^-SSF Trustee
1630 SSF Trustee Panel - Carlson, Compton, Dee, Ridenour, Smith

JAN 29 (Friday)
*0900 Dipl. Ing. Helmut Fendt-Germany-OSTIV SDP Chairman, LBA
*1000 Prof. Dr. Mark Maughmer-PSU; Dan Somers, President-Airfoils Inc.
*1100 ^Ernst Schoeberl^#-Germany (may be given by Fendt)
*1330 *Kempton Izuno*
*1430 Dan Armstrong, President-ESA
*1530 Gunter Bertram-Germany DAeC

JAN 30 (Saturday)
0900 OSTIV Panel - Boermans-Holland, Maughmer, Hindman, Fendt-Germany,
Oldaker-Canada
1000 Lukas Popelka-Czechia
1100 Prof. emeritus Dr. Ward Hindman-CCNY
1330 Dan Cook-Canada, SAC Flight Training & Safety Committee Chairman
1430 *Walt Rogers*-Meteorologist in Charge, NWS, Los Angeles ARTCC
1530 ADS-B/Transponder Panel- Northcraft, Becker, Smith
1630 Dipl. Ing. Boudewijn Deuss, Initial Airworthiness Rulemaking
Officer, EASA
Rulemaking Directorate, European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA)

Many more speakers / tracks are being arranged by the SSA convention
committee.

Besides the speakers, you can visit the dozens of vendor booths and 20
sailplanes on display on the convention hall floor.

You'll miss the PEOPLE if you don't attend. For me the most important
aspect is the face-to-face encounters with soaring legends,
historians, your SSA Directors, sailplane designers, equipment
dealers, commercial gliderport owners, old-timers as well as the
newest soaring enthusiasts and simply making new friends in person,
rather than over the internet. Our SSA Convention is an old-fashioned
gathering of kindred spirits. It is our Oshkosh and Woodstock
combined. I wish it was held every year instead of only every two
years. So look me up -- I'll arrive on Monday afternoon to start
schmoozin' and minglin'.

Let's all meet at Little Rock!

Burt Compton
SSF Trustee / SSA Director at Large
Marfa, west Texas USA

Old November 24th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

Thanks Burt. That helps a lot. See you there.

Charlie
Old November 24th 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

There are a lot of names, most of whom I don't recognize, but no topics.
Why isn't this kind of info available on the SSA website.

Mike Schumann

Old November 24th 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Nov 24, 8:00*am, "Mike Schumann" mike-nos...@traditions-
nospam.com wrote:
[...]

Marfa, west Texas * USA- Hide quoted text -

I just talked with the gals at SSA. They have a number of people who
said they were considering speaking but have not yet committed to
speaking, so the schedule is slow in getting finalized. The gals
promised that the final listing and schedule will be posted on the SSA
web site by Tuesday December 1. So... you folks that are still
'thinking" of speaking... get you butts in gear and commit one way or
another... speaking or not speaking.

I will be giving a talk on soaring over Southwestern Colorado, sharing
about 100 powerpoint photos of the spectacular scenery, and providing
some tips on getting photos from gliders, and what is looked for by
the editor of Soaring Magazine. Looking down on incredibly colorful
and rugged scenery from 17,000', yet only 3,000' AGL, and 40 miles
from the nearest possible landing area, ought to catch the attention
of a few folks.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the presentation schedule, too. For
you eager folks, hang in there til next week.

Bob Thompson
19
Old November 25th 09, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_12_]

On Nov 23, 7:52*pm, Bruno wrote:
On Nov 23, 12:11*pm, Mechelle wrote:

On Nov 21, 10:06*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:

Could not find one on the SSA web site. Is this available anyplace?

What are you looking for? The schedule hasn't been finalized yet.

We would all love to see even a tentative list of seminar topics and
presenters.

Thanks,
Bruno -B4

Mark Hawkins (OA) and I will be giving a talk on SPOT Sailplane
Tracking. We plan to present the latest on the new SPOT gear, how it
can be used to improve soaring safety and enhance participation in
club/contest X-C flying. I believe we are currently scheduled for
Thursday afternoon. We will also have a booth presence to demonstrate
Mark's very cool real-time sailplane tracking software.

Frank Paynter (TA)