US: Soaring Magazine 1937 through 1967 available online

Old November 25th 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Default Soaring Magazine 1937 through 1967 available online

I am too dense to figure this out on my own. Could you explain the
steps to take to get to the scanned issues? I am not having much luck
getting there from the listings by year.

John Leibacher wrote:
Sorry, Andy. The content is linked everywhere BUT the search tool,
for the moment. I'll get it there over the T'Day holidays I hope.
Just go to the listings by year, for the moment.

John L

On Nov 25, 7:55 am, Andy wrote:
On Nov 25, 2:09 pm, John Leibacher wrote:

http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Indexisthe top level URL for the
index. For any of the listings (by Issue, Subject, Author, etc...)
for a year in this interval, click on a highlighted page number to get
the scanned page. Or you can select "Content" to get links to the
whole year, page by page.

Thanks for making this available. I found the search easy to use and
found several references I wanted to look at. That's as far as I was
able to go. I tried clicking all over the place but never found out
how to get to the search results. I saw no highlighted page numbers.

Is IE 6.x supported ?

Yes, it works fine. The search isn't supported quite yet, that's all.

Andy

Old November 25th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Nov 25, 10:09*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
Andy wrote:
On Nov 25, 2:09 pm, John Leibacher wrote:
http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Indexisthe top level URL for the
index. *For any of the listings (by Issue, Subject, Author, etc...)
for a year in this interval, click on a highlighted page number to get
the scanned page. *Or you can select "Content" to get links to the
whole year, page by page.

Thanks for making this available. *I found the search easy to use and
found several references I wanted to look at. *That's as far as I was
able to go. *I tried clicking all over the place but never found out
how to get to the search results. *I saw no highlighted page numbers.

Is IE 6.x supported ?

Andy

No highlighted page numbers in Firefox.

Greg,

Try:

http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/listings.html

Then pick any year from 1937 to 1967. Or click on the "Contents" link
for those years and you should access the images of the pages in pdf
format. Make sure you have a good pdf viewer installed on your
computer.

If you need a viewer try Adobe or any of the other free viewers out
there.

http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/

Old November 25th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Thanks. We are making progress, but I see that the URL of the scanned
pages ends with .html rather than .pdf. See, for example, any of the
links at:
http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/...pdf_index.html.

I don't know anything about computers, but wouldn't you use a .pdf
suffix for a PDF file? Or am I still looking in the wrong place?

Trying to open a link either crashes Firefox, or I get a message that my
pdf reader (FoxIt) refuses to load.

Old November 25th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

Thanks Kathy.

This is really great!

Mike C

make for extremely interesting reading.

This is a "beta" release, and there are bound to be glitches in
getting
the pages of the scan matched up with the index, so please pass along
any problems that you encounter and suggestions for the improvement of
access to this wonderful resource.

Thanks also to Bertha Ryan for helping making all of this happen.

MANY THANKS Kathy, the rest of you enjoy!

John Leibacher

Old November 25th 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Nov 25, 1:01*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
Thanks. *We are making progress, but I see that the URL of the scanned
pages ends with .html rather than .pdf. *See, for example, any of the
links at:http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/...pdf_index.html..

I don't know anything about computers, but wouldn't you use a .pdf
suffix for a PDF file? *Or am I still looking in the wrong place?

Trying to open a link either crashes Firefox, or I get a message that my
pdf reader (FoxIt) refuses to load.

Greg,

Sounds like your pdf reader, FOXIT, is not working with the webpages.
Mine works fine with Adobe Acrobat Plug-in turned on.

You cna load adobe acrobate and then make sure that the plug in is
turned on in FireFox.

Follw these menues in FireFox

Tools
Add-ons

Old November 25th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Andy wrote:
[...]

You can load adobe acrobat and then make sure that the plug in is
turned on in FireFox.

Follow these menus in FireFox

Tools
Add-ons
Manage Add-ons
Click the plug-in tab and make sure that Adobe Acrobat Plug-in
is enabled.

Good luck
Old November 25th 09, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Snip

No highlighted page numbers in Firefox.

I must admit I was confused until I read more carefully that only 1937
to 1967 has the hot links on the page numbers, and they show in
Firefox, and from there you get to page through the entire issue. The
links take you to 'standard' html pages, not pdf's... at least for me.

What a great job! Well done!

For those wanting even more to read, the Canadian journal, Free
Flight, thanks to Tony Burton,
is available from 1981 forward at: http://www.sac.ca/index.php?option=c...18&Itemi d=26

Old November 25th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

snipks at:http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/1945/PDF/
1945_pdf_index.html.

I don't know anything about computers, but wouldn't you use a .pdf
suffix for a PDF file?

*snip

Looks like all links are to an html page which in turn will launch an
embedded pdf file. Working for me in Firefox 3.5.5 and Acrobat reader.

Here's March 1965 page 21 as an example:
http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/...65_Mar_21.html
It's an html link, but that has the embedded page 21 scan in it. Once
there, you move page to page using the top controls.
Old November 25th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Danewid

I also have Firefox 3.5.5 and Acrobat Reader 6.0 , and it does not work.
It says "Operation is not allowed".
/Robert