US: Soaring Magazine 1937 through 1967 available online

Old November 25th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Soaring Magazine 1937 through 1967 available online

I am seeing failed linksin search results, the target link has an
extra "soaringweb.org/cgi-bin/" within the URL, if you remove that the
page displays.

Example: a search on the word "test" shows the first result:

....The soaring test pilot flies the Franklin PS-1 utility glider, Dec,
1937, page 9 [Sailplanes\Franklin; Test Flying]

with a URL of: http://soaringweb.org/cgi-bin/soarin...37_Dec_09.html
for the highlighted page 9

the link fails, but if you edit the URL in your browser address line
by removing exactly "soaringweb.org/cgi-bin/" from the left side... it
works fine.

Resulting in a URL of: http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/...37_Dec_09.html

My guess is they can fix that soon.

Bob
Old November 25th 09, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Nov 25, 3:58*pm, Robert Danewid
wrote:
I also have Firefox 3.5.5 and Acrobat Reader 6.0 , and it does not work.
It says "Operation is not allowed".
/Robert

Bob skrev:

snipks at:http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/1945/PDF/
1945_pdf_index.html.
I don't know anything about computers, but wouldn't you use a .pdf
suffix for a PDF file?

*snip

Looks like all links are to an html page which in turn will launch an
embedded pdf file. Working for me in Firefox 3.5.5 and Acrobat reader.

Here's March 1965 page 21 as an example:
http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/...65_Mar_21.html
It's an html link, but that has the embedded page 21 scan in it. Once
there, you move page to page using the top controls.- Hide quoted text -

I can see the pages just fine, but with Acrobar reader 8 and IE8 the
individual pages are not embedded in the web page. Instead they
display in a seperate Acrobat window.

Other than that i't absolutely wonderful to have access to this
resource.

Thanks!

Peter
Old November 25th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

snip
My guess is they can fix that soon.

Bob

WOW! That was fast, it is working now, minutes later! So ignore that
last post.
Old November 26th 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Leibacher

Bob skrev:

snipks at:http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/1945/PDF/
1945_pdf_index.html.
I don't know anything about computers, but wouldn't you use a .pdf
suffix for a PDF file?

*snip

Looks like all links are to an html page which in turn will launch an
embedded pdf file. Working for me in Firefox 3.5.5 and Acrobat reader..

Here's March 1965 page 21 as an example:
http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/...65_Mar_21.html
It's an html link, but that has the embedded page 21 scan in it. Once
there, you move page to page using the top controls.- Hide quoted text -

I can see the pages just fine, but with Acrobar reader 8 and IE8 the
individual pages are not embedded in the web page. Instead they
display in a seperate Acrobat window.

Yes, that is what we call "a feature"! ;-) Seriously, I hate having
pop-up windows or separate windows that you have to close later, but
if the links just opened the new page in the same window and you then
page forward or backward to view other pages of contents, it was a
real pain to backtrack to where you started from. So I figured that
the new window (or tab if you have your browser set up that way) was
the lesser evil. I went with a new window/tab, rather that a pop-up
window, as I have those blocked in my browser and assume most other
folks do as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

John Leibacher

Old November 26th 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Leibacher

On Nov 25, 9:01*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
Thanks. *We are making progress, but I see that the URL of the scanned
pages ends with .html rather than .pdf. *See, for example, any of the
links at:http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/...pdf_index.html..

I don't know anything about computers, but wouldn't you use a .pdf
suffix for a PDF file? *Or am I still looking in the wrong place?

In order to be able to move backward and forward from a given page to
another, I ended up embedding each page's PDF in a little HTML wrapper
that has links to other pages. OK?

Any and all suggestions are encouraged, straight to
to keep the newsgroup lean.

Trying to open a link either crashes Firefox, or I get a message that my
pdf reader (FoxIt) refuses to load.

Tim Taylor wrote:
On Nov 25, 10:09 am, Greg Arnold wrote:
Andy wrote:
On Nov 25, 2:09 pm, John Leibacher wrote:
http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Indexisthetop level URL for the
index. *For any of the listings (by Issue, Subject, Author, etc...)
for a year in this interval, click on a highlighted page number to get
the scanned page. *Or you can select "Content" to get links to the
whole year, page by page.
Thanks for making this available. *I found the search easy to use and
found several references I wanted to look at. *That's as far as I was
able to go. *I tried clicking all over the place but never found out
how to get to the search results. *I saw no highlighted page numbers.
Is IE 6.x supported ?
Andy
No highlighted page numbers in Firefox.

Greg,

Try:

http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/listings.html

Then pick any year from 1937 to 1967. *Or click on the "Contents" link
for those years and you should access the images of the pages in pdf
format. *Make sure you have a good pdf viewer installed on your
computer.

If you need a viewer try Adobe or any of the other free viewers out
there.

http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/

Old November 26th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

On Nov 24, 11:17*pm, John Leibacher wrote:
Kathleen K. Taylor has scanned in all of the issues and they now
available
online at soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index. *30 years of the most
formative
years of our sport!! *This treasure trove of content is now available
to everyone thanks to her extraordinary gracious contribution, and
they
make for extremely interesting reading.

This is a "beta" release, and there are bound to be glitches in
getting
the pages of the scan matched up with the index, so please pass along
any problems that you encounter and suggestions for the improvement of
access to this wonderful resource.

Thanks also to Bertha Ryan for helping making all of this happen.

MANY THANKS Kathy, the rest of you enjoy!

John Leibacher

SUPER!!

Thanks so much!

/Adam