Clarification - Does everyone teach this way?

Old October 23rd 03, 08:11 PM
Mark James Boyd

I suggest two things:

Take the Fundamentals of Instructing (FOI) and the Advanced Ground
Instructor (AGI) written tests. Then take them to the
Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) and get a ground
instructor license. This may help you understand the basics
of flight instructing and help you with some self-awareness
as a student (and what you want from your instructors).

If you meet the requirements for time, train for and
get a commercial instead of a private glider license.
I especially recommend this for transition pilots that
can just take ten extra tows to meet the minimums.
The US PTS standards are so close (+- 5 kts
instead of +- 10 kts, +- 5 deg instead of +- 10 deg of bank) that
it's negligible.

Winter is the best time for training. Less competition for
tows, gliders, instructors, traffic, runways. And none of
that icky bumpy air to make you sick on your first few
flights. Enjoy it!

Old October 23rd 03, 08:34 PM
Mark James Boyd

Knowledge of the fundamentals of instructing is a common
requirement for all flight instructors. The FAA has produced
FAA-H-8083-9, "Aviation Instructor's Handbook" to provide
information about this subject.

For US FAA instructors, the standard for teaching is
outlined in

http://www.fergworld.com/cfi/pdf/FOI..._Reference.pdf

The Gleim FOI prep book is excellent and cheap ($9 or so).

From reading some of the posts, it seems some students do
not get enough explanation or demonstration before being
asked to do the manuever (and then doing it wrong).
It is much better to do it right the first time (the
Law of Primacy).

I like and use the technique of programmed instruction,
and do my best to get students to do things right the
first time. Key to this has been having the students
tell me what to do while I fly the plane, or sometimes
dividing duties (they do flaps and I do stick) so
they aren't overwhelmed.

Teaching is rich with techniques, principles, and
diversity. When you find an instructor that
fits your best way of learning, you'll feel comfortable.
Old October 23rd 03, 08:36 PM
Shoulbe

Section 61.123(h) requires commercial applicants to have already obtained a
private ticket (unspecified) unless they qualify under 61.73 as military pilots
- but then only for the category and class in which those military pilots are
already qualified. So, a student pilot can not proceed immediately to the
commercial level.
Old October 23rd 03, 09:00 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Shoulbe wrote:
Section 61.123(h) requires commercial applicants to have already obtained a
private ticket (unspecified) unless they qualify under 61.73 as military pilots
- but then only for the category and class in which those military pilots are
already qualified. So, a student pilot can not proceed immediately to the
commercial level.

Transition pilots can do this (transition from a private ASEL,
for example). And as you mention military. Don't know about foriegn
pilots.

But yes,

(h) Hold at least a private pilot certificate issued under this part or
meet the requirements of Sec. |61.73|

does seem to apply to those who have never held any previous pilot
certificate...

Thanks for the clarification...

Old October 23rd 03, 09:40 PM
Mark James Boyd

Actually, I recommend this to high school students and community
college students who have an interest as well. And to FBO
owners who are not otherwise instructors. I think it helps them
understanding the process of teaching and learning, even if they don't
act as instructors themselves.

I think it's also an excellent way to practice for the actual
written tests for the private or commercial license, since the questions
are so similar.

Old October 24th 03, 01:37 AM
Lennie the Lurker

Jack Glendening wrote in message ink.net...
Lennie the Lurker wrote:
Jack Glendening wrote in message k.net...

J Goode wrote:

Oh come on. Anyone that has been around the hang gliding community (on the
web anyway) already knows what a boob "Dancebert" can be. A short Deja
search will clue anyone in on it..........

But on RAS the maturity level is a bit higher so we try to help others
who need it, not jump on them.

ROFLMAO

Of course, that's not to say that there are _no_ juviniles on RAS.

"juviniles" eh? I would hope that even a juvenile could do better
than that.

However, you might have to put up with me until the half truths here
quit being the norm. Surrrrre, you try to help others, as long as
their ideas of what they might like aren't different than those
dictated by the mentality of the group. But, that's the nice part of
a hobby, I don't have to do it.
Old October 24th 03, 05:14 AM
Dancebert

I've been doing this since about day three. By telling the instructor
why I'm doing what I'm doing I figure he'll be able to give better
feedback - everything from 'atta boy' to 'you just did the right thing
for the wrong reason' (though that hasn't happened yet). Thanks for
the tip.

Dancebert

p.s. BLIPMAPS rock! Thanks for all your effort.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:28:10 GMT, Jack Glendening
no one mentioned the idea of continually saying, out loud, what you
are thinking (as least much as you can, whatever seems most important at
the time - normally you are thinking about more things than can be fully
verbailized).

Old November 2nd 03, 03:43 AM
HL Falbaum

I'm surprised it has not been mentioned here yet. Excellent books exist on
"what, why, how and when" to do the things needed to fly a glider,
step-by-step. Read the "lesson for the day", discuss it, then go fly it with
an Instructor, then ask for explanations about what actually happened. Being
proactive requires knowlege.

"Gliding" by Piggott, "Flying Sailplanes" by Reichmann, and "Glider Basics"
by Knauff are such books.
Buy them all if you can.

Cheer up-there is a "learning plateau" period from time to time, which
usually occurs just before the "breakthrough".

--
Hartley Falbaum, CFIG

Knowledge of the fundamentals of instructing is a common
requirement for all flight instructors. The FAA has produced
FAA-H-8083-9, "Aviation Instructor's Handbook" to provide
information about this subject.

For US FAA instructors, the standard for teaching is
outlined in

http://www.fergworld.com/cfi/pdf/FOI..._Reference.pdf

The Gleim FOI prep book is excellent and cheap ($9 or so).

From reading some of the posts, it seems some students do