LS4 - LS6 Fuselage size

Old October 30th 03, 07:13 PM
Stewart Kissel

If you fit in a 6, you probably will be ok in the Ventus.
I am 5'11' and found length was not an issue for the
6. I have sat but not flown the 2a and it did not
seem narrower but may have less length. My suggeston
is to find one to sit in if you are considering the
purchase of one. Good luck.

At 18:06 30 October 2003, Ernie Schneider wrote:
thanks Robert, and what would your 'size' be ?

I fit comfortably in a LS6(had one for a year) and
I am 178 cm/5'10'

Ernie

--
'When we come to the place where the road and sky collide'
'Throw me over the edge and watch my spirit fly'

'Robert Ehrlich' wrote in message
Ernie Schneider wrote:

how would a LS6 cockpit compare with a Ventus 2a
in width and height

As far as I remember (flown a Ventus 2a twice in September,
LS6 last
Saturday and a lot of other times) there is a little
more space in
the LS6. The Ventus 2a didn't have an adjustable back
rest, so I
had to add a cushion behind the parachute.

Old October 30th 03, 07:33 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Ernie Schneider wrote:

thanks Robert, and what would your "size" be ?

I fit comfortably in a LS6(had one for a year) and I am 178 cm/5'10"

I am 165 cm & 62 kg. While in some domains this small size may
be an inconvenient, in gliders it is clearly an advantage, except
for the frequent need of cushions and sometime ballast.
Old October 31st 03, 01:23 AM
Andreas Maurer

On 30 Oct 2003 19:13:33 GMT, Stewart Kissel
wrote:

If you fit in a 6, you probably will be ok in the Ventus.
I am 5'11' and found length was not an issue for the
6. I have sat but not flown the 2a and it did not
seem narrower but may have less length. My suggeston
is to find one to sit in if you are considering the
purchase of one. Good luck.

I fit fine in the LS-6 (the cockpit could be a little wider though).
In the Ventus2a/Discus2a my whole head would stand out of the canopy.
I'm 6'7''.

I'd estimate that maximum possible pilot size in a Ventus2a/Discus2a
is about 6'.

Bye
Andreas
Old October 31st 03, 04:04 AM
Andy Blackburn

I'm 5'9', 180 lbs. and I find the S-H 'a' models way
too narrow - I had to twist my upper body sideways
to fit between the canopy rails. There is both a height
and width limit for these cockpits. For me it was width.

Also look out for the high 'ape factor' requirement
on S-H designs ('a' and 'b' models alike). I found
I had to loosen the shoulder straps to reach the instrument
panel - which was a problem with all the modern computer
equipment demanding knob-twisting. Others with longer
arms may not find this to be an issue. Some owners
have installed panel extensions to deal with this.

My advice: Don't buy a glider without at least sitting
in one first.

9B

Old October 31st 03, 05:11 AM
VentusDriver

Ernie,

The Ventus A fus is noticable smaller than the LS-6. I fit into my
V2A fuse line to line and at 180lbs and 5'10" I dont think you can be
more than an inch taller and comfortably make it into the small Shempp
fuselage. The LS 6 has about 5cm more width and is also longer.
B model Ventus fuselages are similar to the LS6 in width and length.

Jim

"Ernie Schneider" wrote in message news:4%1ob.1795$EY3.1046@edtnps84...
how would a LS6 cockpit compare with a Ventus 2a in width and height

thanks

Ernie

--
"When we come to the place where the road and sky collide"
"Throw me over the edge and watch my spirit fly"

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Thanks Stewart and JJ............exactly what I was after.

Cheers

Mark

(JJ Sinclair) wrote in message

In respect to pilot seating, is the fuselage on the LS4 the same as

LS6a ?

Hi Mark,
I measured the difference when we had a 4 and a 6 in the shop. The LS-6

is 2
inches less in width and 2 inched lass in height.
JJ Sinclair

Old November 3rd 03, 03:47 AM
Mike Borgelt

On 31 Oct 2003 04:04:31 GMT, Andy Blackburn
wrote:

I'm 5'9', 180 lbs. and I find the S-H 'a' models way
too narrow - I had to twist my upper body sideways
to fit between the canopy rails. There is both a height
and width limit for these cockpits. For me it was width.

Also look out for the high 'ape factor' requirement
on S-H designs ('a' and 'b' models alike). I found
I had to loosen the shoulder straps to reach the instrument
panel - which was a problem with all the modern computer
equipment demanding knob-twisting. Others with longer
arms may not find this to be an issue. Some owners
have installed panel extensions to deal with this.

My advice: Don't buy a glider without at least sitting
in one first.

9B

Good advice.

re the ape factor. This is removed if you wear a back pack parachute
and sit on a very thin cushion. It really is comfortable and you can
reach the panel.

Some of us in Australia have modified the Ventus a seat pan to place
your backside further forward. You can actually cut it in half and
add 30mm and re-organise the front part. This helps if you are long in
the body and have short legs.

Mike Borgelt

Who can identify this tube frame aircraft fuselage? Rob de Bie Home Built 5 January 13th 05 09:45 PM
Trike wing bolt size Aaron Smith Home Built 0 September 30th 03 03:02 AM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM
Fitting canopy frame to fuselage advice Deputy Dog Soaring 5 July 27th 03 04:08 AM