Hey You Californians

Old October 29th 03, 05:26 AM
Scott

Default Hey You Californians

Is that fire producing a nice thermal out there? It is a tragic event, but
why not make some use of it?

Old October 29th 03, 06:58 AM
Lennie the Lurker

"Scott" wrote in message ...
Is that fire producing a nice thermal out there? It is a tragic event, but
why not make some use of it?

Because there may be nasty things like patrol aircraft and fire bombers in the area.
Old October 29th 03, 07:25 AM
Marcel Duenner

you'd probably suffocate.

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/g...1.1825.1km.jpg
Old October 29th 03, 04:13 PM
Burt Compton

"Scott" wrote in message
Is that fire producing a nice thermal out there? It is a tragic event, but
why not make some use of it?

Breathing products of combustion of unknown fuels (old tires, houses,
fertilizers) is very hazardous. If you didn;t become imparied while
thermalling in it, you might suffer long

Old October 29th 03, 09:21 PM
Brian Case

I did this one a couple years ago in Sun Valley, Idaho. A grass fire
had started on the hill just before I launched. Had a great Thermal
right in next to the smoke. Was climbing throug 15,500 when the Tower
called me and told me I had to leave because the Fire Bombers were
inbound. One would think that at 15,500 I would be out of the way of
any Fire Bombers but I had to leave anyway as I watch the 1st bombers
(Single Engine, Crop Dusters) make the 1st few passes at 500 AGL or
less.

Brian

Old October 29th 03, 11:48 PM
BTIZ

One of the 1-26 Assoc members, Merlybird, has lost his home in the fire..
One of the fires is reported to be about 15miles from Warner Springs and
another fire is about 10 miles from Warner Springs. This is where the "Skid
Row" gang from the 1-26 Assoc flies.

Merle was able to save his weapons, his parrot and his 1-26 log books. The
aircraft is currently safely in a hanger at Gillespie Field in San Diego

BT

Old October 30th 03, 06:01 AM
Lennie the Lurker

There is a good reason. Those guys are putting their lives on the
line everytime they make a run. They're low, the air is anything but
smooth, and they're carrying max loads every time. They don't need to
have to even think that there may be someone else in the area, and how
high you are doesn't matter. They've got all they can do to
concentrate on delivering the load of retardant to the target without
worrying about turning someone else into ground meat. I think calif
has or had a law about overflying a forest or brush fire anyhow, but
don't have any way of looking it up. That was more than 40 years ago.

Old October 30th 03, 06:13 AM
BTIZ

Part two... the 1-26, I think it is serial number 019 was going through some
rebuild. The bulk of the glider was in the hanger, but the instrument panel,
horizontal stab and tail cone were at the house.. gone..

Does anyone have a 1-26A horizontal stab? Don't know if he needs both stab
and elevator, but I suspect he does.

BT

Old October 30th 03, 02:19 PM
Brian Case

I really wasn't complaining, I was happy to do my part to help them
out. It was more just an observation that it didn't seem to make a lot
of sense to make me move out of the top of the smoke cloud back to the
airport for a landing where they were taking off and landing from.