Reading List

Old March 14th 04, 12:55 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Default Reading List

Folks,

After spending many hours waiting for a retrieve after
land-outs and waiting on a grid for a couple or more
hours each day at last year's Region Six race, I realized
it would be really great to have a book on board.

So, what books should I put on my reading list. A
small, paperback book that can be easily stuffed into
the glider would be the ticket.

While glider related books would be on top of the list,
what else do you think would be great reading material
while sitting in a field with nobody but crows looking
(and laughing) at you?

Thanks,
Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old March 14th 04, 01:17 PM
Robertmudd1u

After spending many hours waiting for a retrieve after
land-outs and waiting on a grid for a couple or more
hours each day at last year's Region Six race, I realized
it would be really great to have a book on board.

Self-Launch! Retractable Engine Sailplanes by Pete Williams

Sorry Ray, I could not resist.

Robert Mudd
Old March 14th 04, 03:56 PM
John Shelton

I used to carry a copy of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales for landout reading. I
cannot tell you how that knowledge has made me try just a little harder to
find something and center it and get the hell up and out of there.

Old March 14th 04, 04:11 PM
Nyal Williams

At 13:00 14 March 2004, Ray Lovinggood wrote:
Folks,

After spending many hours waiting for a retrieve after
land-outs and waiting on a grid for a couple or more
hours each day at last year's Region Six race, I realized
it would be really great to have a book on board.

So, what books should I put on my reading list. A
small, paperback book that can be easily stuffed into
the glider would be the ticket.

While glider related books would be on top of the list,
what else do you think would be great reading material
while sitting in a field with nobody but crows looking
(and laughing) at you?

Thanks,
Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Ray,

You might try Jacques Barzun's 'Dawn to Decadence;
500 Years of Western Cultural Life.' If that's too
heavy try PhilipWill's 'On Beinga Bird'; you can find
it in used book stores on the net.

Old March 14th 04, 05:27 PM
Shawn Curry

John Shelton wrote:

I used to carry a copy of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales for landout reading. I
cannot tell you how that knowledge has made me try just a little harder to
find something and center it and get the hell up and out of there.

Really? I'd think some of those stories would give you some good ideas
for Pez.
Have you seen the 2001 version of "A Knight's Tale" good movie, great
soundtrack.
http://tinyurl.com/3h4g2

Cheers,
Shawn
Old March 14th 04, 06:09 PM
Olivier Bertoe

After spending many hours waiting for a retrieve after
land-outs and waiting on a grid for a couple or more
hours each day at last year's Region Six race, I realized
it would be really great to have a book on board.

Self-Launch! Retractable Engine Sailplanes by Pete Williams

Sorry Ray, I could not resist.

Robert Mudd

Along the same lines:

A Field Guide to Cows: How to Identify and Appreciate
America's 52 Breeds

by John Pukite

(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...481224-1578260)
Old March 14th 04, 08:12 PM
Mark James Boyd

Olivier Bertoe wrote:

After spending many hours waiting for a retrieve after
land-outs and waiting on a grid for a couple or more
hours each day at last year's Region Six race, I realized
it would be really great to have a book on board.

How about the Holy Bible? And maybe one of them collars, so
if the farmer drives up reeel fast and asks why you landed there,
you can tell him you were brought there by a higher power G...

I'm tellin' ya, a "Caddyshack" glider movie would do
more for the sport than trying to do an "adventure" version...
--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old March 15th 04, 03:15 AM
Papa3

I always had the problem of reading the first 3 chapters of the same book
over and over. With long gaps (hopefully) between landouts, novels had a
way of never getting finished. My solution was to move to short stories.
I now carry along the anthology "Best American Short Stories of [year]".
A particularly bad year of landouts in remote places sees me finishing the
majority of a single edition. A good year sees the book safely stowed and
never opened.

Short stories are also great for short-haul airline travel and similar
adventures.

You'll find the specific series (Edited by Katrina Kenison) on Amazon and
usually stocked at local booksellers.

P3

Old March 15th 04, 03:19 PM
303pilot

No recommendations on What to read, but I've got one on How--
Install Microsoft Reader and AvantGo on your handheld.
AvantGo lets you get copies of lots of newspapers and magazines on your
handheld.
With MS Reader and the files on the Gutenburg Project (kind of a KaZaa for
people who read), you can put just about any classic book on your handheld.

When I land out, I've got:
BBC News
Reuters
Cato Daily Commentary
Alternet.org
Financial Times
NY Times
Washington Post
....all from AvantGo. And from Project Gutenburg & MS Reader I've got:
The Importance of Being Earnest - Wilde
The Law - Bastiat
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Twain
No Treason - Spooner

No need to carry anything that you're not already carrying.

Old March 16th 04, 02:08 PM
Jim Vincent

So, what books should I put on my reading list. A
small, paperback book that can be easily stuffed into
the glider would be the ticket

A Gift of Wings by Richard Bach. About 30 stories, 300 pages total. Great
read.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ