ILS critical area when the tower is closed?

Old November 21st 05, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default ILS critical area when the tower is closed?

People may be taxiing around the airport with no intention of taking off,
for example, to fuel up, to do maintanance, or to more the aircraft.

With all that activity it's a wonder the tower is closed.

One aircraft is sufficient.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 21st 05, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

With weather below 800/2, the only people in the vicinity of the
ILS critical area would be IFR departures, right?

I don't know. Therefore I wouldn't count on it. I suspect it depends
on the specific geography of the airport.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 21st 05, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

I believe ELM switches the ILS from 6 to 24 depending on the wind
direction.

Both localizers are on 109.1, only one can be selected at any time.

I've never landed after midnight when the tower closes, but I wonder if
they leave the ILS on and leave an ATIS message as to which runway is ILS
active?

Possibly, but all they'd have to do is advise New York Center which ILS is
up.

Never thought about it before this thread. I guess I always assumed they
would turn off the approach when the controllers go home, but maybe not.

These things are turned off for maintenance or runway closures, that's
pretty much it.

Old November 21st 05, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..

One aircraft is sufficient.

It's typically not enough to keep the fuel vendor open.

Old November 21st 05, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
Jose wrote:

People may be taxiing around the airport with no intention of taking off,
for example, to fuel up, to do maintanance, or to more the aircraft.

With all that activity it's a wonder the tower is closed.

One aircraft is sufficient.

Jose

Doesn't even have to be an aircraft. A car or truck would disrupt the
signal too. Some uncontrolled airports have some pretty strange stuff
going on.
Old November 21st 05, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:13:54 -0600, A Lieberman
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:36:38 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

Does HKS have an ILS critical area?

I don't see an ILS hold line on my charts.

Ron,

You had me pull out my NACO charts. I can't say about HKS as I am not
intimately familiar with their airport, but I know KJAN has an critical ILS
hold short line, but I don't see it depicted on the chart.

Nor do I see any symbols on the airport diagram / airport sketch legend on
page K1 of the MS / LA terminal procedures.

Does NACO depict ILS hold lines on the airport diagrams would be my
question.

Don't forget, the premise of this particular sub-thread is that making the
GS unusable when the tower is closed is a method of protecting the ILS
critical area. But if the GS is unusable for some other reason, then ...

Of course the chart doesn't say why the GS is unusable, just that it is
WHEN tower is closed.

Allen

Both Jepp and NACO depict something they call ILS Hold Lines at some
airports. Jepp does not define anything on their airport view with the
term "ILS Critical Area" so I don't know if these ILS hold lines have
anything to do with the ILS Critical area.

Old November 21st 05, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..

Sure it is. The fuel vendor is a machine. It doesn't sleep, and never
leaves the airport.

The fuel vendor is typically a person.

Old November 21st 05, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The fuel vendor is typically a person.

The fuel vendor is typically a machine.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 21st 05, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Up until 2 months ago, there was an ILS critical area at an untowered
field.. KGLS Galveston, TX, and it had been there since i started flying
in 2000.

Galveston now has a part time tower.

Dave

wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
news

How many fields are there where this is a concern? I would expect
most fields with the congestion to require marked ILS critical areas
to have full-time towers.

I can't provide a cite, but I was told recently that there are ILS
critical areas at part-time towered airports.

Old November 21st 05, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
wrote in message news:CX9gf.1261$pF.1153@fed1read04...

It's a problem during a coupled approach especially if the pilot is
planning to do an autoland.

It's not a problem if the weather is good.

Not so, Steve. It can cause control problems and certainly adversely
affect an autoland. That is why your handbook contains a caveat about
such approaches.

Approach couplers and autoland systems are weather independent.~