Mini 500 Turbine Conversion A BIG SUCCESS.

Old September 10th 13, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Mini 500 Turbine Conversion A BIG SUCCESS.

On Thursday, June 19, 2003 11:56:09 PM UTC-4, Dennis Chitwood wrote:
Today was a very good day

We have solved the solution to making the T62-2A1, which is a

constant speed turbine, able to have pilot controlable rpm. This

allows us to start the turbine at 66% rpm, then engage the clutch

(which works flawlessly), and then drive the rpm up to 100%. It

works perfectly. We have no egt's over 850. There will be a movie

of today's startup on www.stittind.com . You will see some shaking

after rotor engagement, but that is due to the fact that the craft is

brand new and has never had the blades balanced. The shaking almost

dissapears at 100% rpm, and you will see Rick Stitt come under my

rotor disk to mark the blades for alignment. The helicopter is well

secured to the tarmack by two straps from the belly tiedowns to an

aircraft tiedown. If you look close you will see that I lifted the

skids off about 1/2 inch to cone the blades up for proper marking.

Pretty cool, huh?

Dennis Chitwood

N500XT

Serial # 5230T

I'm using a T62-2A1 in a Turboprop BD5. I'm interested in knowing how to reduce the engine RPM for fuel savings while taxiing. I'm interested to know how you were able to accomplish this. Right now the acceleration schedule speed control has been modified to be able to manipulate the RPM from 80% to 100% but obviously I'd like to get it as low as possible. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick G.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
386-882-2603