New RAS game: Name that Googleport and add your own

Old April 13th 05, 01:56 PM

Whats the status of the old Vacaville gliderport? I learned to fly
gliders there back in the mid 70's. Looks kinda deserted now...

66

Old April 13th 05, 03:32 PM

Hey, where's my trailer hanger?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hillto...7703&t=k&hl=en

Old April 13th 05, 04:17 PM
Marc Ramsey

Whats the status of the old Vacaville gliderport? I learned to fly
gliders there back in the mid 70's. Looks kinda deserted now...

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.15...0940&t=k&hl=en

Resolution not so great, but Williams Soaring Center (run by Rex and
Noelle Mayes) is adjacent to the rectangular dirt field in upper left
quadrant of the image. They were forced out of Lagoon Valley a decade
or so ago, due to the "imminent" start of construction on an office park
(which never happened). They then moved 10 miles north on I80 to the
former Vaca-Dixon airport, but were chased out within a year due to
noise complaints. Next they bought Williams Airport (about 45 miles
north of Sacramento on I5), and have been there since. Now, if the
satellite photo was a bit more recent, it would show housing
developments in the large green fields to the west and southwest of the
airport, another move is likely within a year or two...

http://williamssoaring.com/

Marc
Old April 13th 05, 07:20 PM
For Example John Smith

World Trade Center?
"Harbin" wrote in message
news

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.426...5525&t=k&hl=en

Old April 13th 05, 11:11 PM

Interesting. I used to fly Citabrias out of Vaca-Dixon; I mainly
remember a short strip with I-80 at one end (short final over a semi is
fun!) and trees/powerlines at the other. Must have been sporting
towing gliders out of there!

66

Old April 15th 05, 08:34 AM
Andy Blackburn

At 07:00 12 April 2005, John Leibacher wrote:
I have added links to the Google satellite maps in
the 'Worldwide Soaring
Turnpoint Exchange' [ http://soaring.aerobatics.ws
], as well as Google's
road maps, Rand McNally's road maps and - most useful
of all for the
landoutacholics - driving instructions from the home
'drom to the turnpoints
and other waypoints for all of the US sites [I'll install
a little form for
your crew to enter your lat/lon if you don't make it
to an airport,
'shortly']. The links are G and g for the Google maps
and satellite images,
R and r for the Rand McNally maps and driving.

VERY cool - though I can't find the 'D' links for driving
directions.

Would be great to have this available at the retrieve
office at every contest... well at least at every contest
with broadband on the airport... oh, never mind.

Nice job John.

9B

Old April 15th 05, 03:12 PM
Eric Greenwell

Andy Blackburn wrote:

VERY cool - though I can't find the 'D' links for driving
directions.

Would be great to have this available at the retrieve
office at every contest... well at least at every contest
with broadband on the airport... oh, never mind.

I can't find any of them. Can you give me directions or a direct link?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old April 15th 05, 04:40 PM
Andy Blackburn

At 14:30 15 April 2005, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I can't find any of them. Can you give me directions
or a direct link?

http://soaring.xinqu.net/TP/Ephrata/control_points.html

For you - personalized service - Ephrata...remember
to scroll down.

It's in the actual control points file/link.

9B