Check your gas.

Old December 1st 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flaps_50!

Default Check your gas.

On Dec 1, 2:00*pm, Mark wrote:
On Nov 30, 1:53*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Meticulous pilot runs out of gas and can't land in a corn field!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...travel_brief_f...

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.
Ken

That's what happened to a Beech King Air turbo a
couple of weeks ago near me. Ran out of gas, for
as yet undetermined reasons. Shame to see such
a nice plane totalled, but at least no fatalities.

The guys at Stevens have a good reputation.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...11110344/1004/...

I'd like to know how many fuel exhaustions were associated with a
successful emergency off-field landing. Running out of fuel should
not automatically lead to a crash/fatality if the pilot practices his
emergency procedures regularly. This does not excuse the need to have
30+ mins excess over plan of course.

Cheers
Cheers

Old December 1st 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Flaps_50!" wrote:
I'd like to know how many fuel exhaustions were associated with a
successful emergency off-field landing.

The AOPA writes a yearly report on accidents (see
http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/nall.html) that addresses questions
like that; here's the latest one:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/08nall.pdf

Go to page 14 and you should find an approximate answer - at least for the
year they examined in that report.
Old December 1st 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flaps_50!

On Dec 1, 4:59*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
"Flaps_50!" wrote:
I'd like to know how many fuel exhaustions were associated with a
successful emergency off-field *landing.

The AOPA writes a yearly report on accidents (seehttp://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/nall.html) that addresses questions
like that; here's the latest one:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/08nall.pdf

Go to page 14 and you should find an approximate answer - at least for the
year they examined in that report.

Thnx. So many fuel incidents!

Cheers
Old December 1st 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 30, 9:02*pm, "Flaps_50!" wrote:

if the pilot practices his
emergency procedures regularly.

Since you allegedly fly a plane, when was the last time you practiced
your emergency procedures OUTSIDE a simulator?

How often do you practice OUTSIDE a simulator to define regularly?
Once a day, once a month, once a year?

Very direct questions above. Can you give me direct answers?
Old December 2nd 09, 10:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flaps_50!

On Dec 2, 6:08*am, " wrote:
On Nov 30, 9:02*pm, "Flaps_50!" wrote:

if the pilot practices his
emergency procedures regularly.

Since you allegedly fly a plane, when was the last time you practiced
your emergency procedures OUTSIDE a simulator?

3 weeks ago. I don't sim -although that might save me $$ -unless I
were to pay to use a full cockpit 737 sim!

How often do you practice OUTSIDE a simulator to define regularly?
Once a day, once a month, once a year?

About every 2 months. What about you?

Very direct questions above. *Can you give me direct answers?

If you are trying to 'prove' I don't fly real planes you should just
give up.

Cheers
Old December 1st 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

On Nov 30, 5:00 pm, Mark wrote:
On Nov 30, 1:53 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Meticulous pilot runs out of gas and can't land in a corn field!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...travel_brief_f...

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.
Ken

That's what happened to a Beech King Air turbo a
couple of weeks ago near me. Ran out of gas, for
as yet undetermined reasons. Shame to see such
a nice plane totalled, but at least no fatalities.

The guys at Stevens have a good reputation.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...11110344/1004/...
Mark

OOPs....
Well for small a/c (I'm Cessna 152), I fill my own and
check for water and of course color.
Otherwise, read the meter of the gas input or trust the
fella loading you.
Every Flight Manual has a fuel consumption rate graph
as a function of power/rpm/cruising speed, so at flight
planning, a time and range can be estimated that does
not rely on the fuel gauge, which is accurate to +/- 10%.
So a cross check of a wrist watch with the fuel gauge
is a no-brainer.
Ken
Old December 1st 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_2_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
Well for small a/c (I'm Cessna 152), I fill my own and
check for water and of course color.
Otherwise, read the meter of the gas input or trust the
fella loading you.

No way! (I suspect Ken is another who flies about as much as Mx) I don't care
if you watched the guy top off your tank and now both guages read full. The
wise pilot still visually checks the fuel level before flight (eyeball, finger,
or dip stick). While you are at it, make sure that both filler caps are on
tight.

Every Flight Manual has a fuel consumption rate graph
as a function of power/rpm/cruising speed, so at flight
planning, a time and range can be estimated that does
not rely on the fuel gauge, which is accurate to +/- 10%.

I would LOVE to have a Cessna with a fuel guage that was accurate to +/- 10%.
On every Cessna I have ever flown, the fuel guages were best described as
semi-usless crap. Do I look at them? Yes; because in-flight they are your only
direct evidence of remaining fuel. Do I trust them? No!

Old December 1st 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Dec 1, 4:09*pm, "vaughn"
wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in ...

[...]

The real worry I have about fuel exhaustion, since I almost always
take off with full tanks visually confirmed, is a leak or mis leaning
the engine on a long flight. Not being exact in leaning -- say, going
from 5 to 11 thousand feet without adjusting things -- can change burn
from 9 to 11 or 12 gallons an hour. I do my tank switching by fuel
gauge or clock, whichever is more conservative. As it happens the fuel
gauges on the Mooney are within a few gallons of 16 gallons when they
are indicating half full (they are effectively being calibrated each
time fuel is put into a tank that is thought to be half full) so that
time or gauge redundancy offers some comfort.

Many of the suggestions/comments here may actually cause thoughtful
pilots to modify their check list -- that would mean this newsgroup is
serving a useful purpose.

check this... billybeer Owning 0 December 1st 04 01:28 AM
Check it out [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 November 30th 04 09:35 PM
Check it out! [email protected] Soaring 1 November 30th 04 01:21 AM
Check this out! [email protected] Aerobatics 0 November 30th 04 12:58 AM
check this out Tony Verhulst Soaring 0 February 27th 04 04:04 PM