Eccentric cam wing assembly tools

Old October 30th 16, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Eccentric cam wing assembly tools

Steve Bralla used to make and sell tools used to help align the wing spar pin bushings during assembly. He contacted me recently and said he had lost access to the machine shop. He graciously offered me the opportunity to take over the product line, and I am now in production. I will add them to my website shortly (www.mmfabrication.com) If you need one, please contact me through the website.

And a big "Thank You" to Steve!
Old October 30th 16, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 9:24:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Steve Bralla used to make and sell tools used to help align the wing spar pin bushings during assembly. He contacted me recently and said he had lost access to the machine shop. He graciously offered me the opportunity to take over the product line, and I am now in production. I will add them to my website shortly (www.mmfabrication.com) If you need one, please contact me through the website.

And a big "Thank You" to Steve!

Mark, In 2002, I bought one from Spindleburger that shipped with my trailer.. I made my own "improved" version and sold the one I bought.

Mine was made of black Delrin (as is the original) with the reinforcement a pressed in stainless steel pin. I made the outer large diameter a bit longer and have that cross drilled at 0 - 60 - 120 degrees for 6 handle hole options total, though the handle is rarely used. The 3 cross drilled holes provide plenty of purchase for turning to assist initial pin alignment.

On the face of the handle portion, in line with the eccentric end of the tool, I drilled a small dimple, filled with white paint, it shows where the eccentric is when the tool is fully inserted. This proved to be invaluable when using the tool to show which way the wing needs to be moved.

best,

bumper
Old October 31st 16, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bumper- Thanks for the tips. I think the reinforcing pin is a good idea on the pins with a small eccentric. The witness mark on the face is also something I will consider incorporating.

Now that I am going into production, can RAS readers help me by sending me the diameter of their main spar pins? I'd like to set up a glider database so I can anticipate the demand.

Thanks. I can be emailed at: info (at) mmfabrication (dot) com

Old October 31st 16, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 9:24:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Steve Bralla used to make and sell tools used to help align the wing spar pin bushings during assembly. He contacted me recently and said he had lost access to the machine shop. He graciously offered me the opportunity to take over the product line, and I am now in production. I will add them to my website shortly (www.mmfabrication.com) If you need one, please contact me through the website.

And a big "Thank You" to Steve!

Mark,
I've been using Steve's alignment tool for several years now on my ASW 20. I love it however I'd like to suggest an improvement. I suggest installing a large Hex head (use a standard bolt/wrench size) on the end. Instead of using the sliding handle/pin which sometimes is awkward, the Hex end would allow the use of a ratcheting wrench. Easier to turn and more leverage!
Hope that helps,
Dan Rihn
Old October 31st 16, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan- The only problem with that is the bolthead would try to unscrew if turned counterclockwise. Schempp-Hirth provided a rigging tool with the Arcus that has an allen head bolt inset in the face of the tool and we ran into that issue.

If you only turn it clockwise, it isn't a problem. I might incorporate that idea if people request it.
Old October 31st 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 8:57:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Dan- The only problem with that is the bolthead would try to unscrew if turned counterclockwise. Schempp-Hirth provided a rigging tool with the Arcus that has an allen head bolt inset in the face of the tool and we ran into that issue.

If you only turn it clockwise, it isn't a problem. I might incorporate that idea if people request it.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I didn't mean to use a threaded bolt per say. I agree it would have to be a "solid" installation that could be turned either way and not unscrew.
It would be a nice option. It's a great tool.
Good luck,
Dan
Old October 31st 16, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

glue the bolt into the threads.
Old October 31st 16, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 10:41:14 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
glue the bolt into the threads.

Should it take that much effort to require a ratchet?
For a Schleicher, the hex key used for the tail works in the holes of the Bralla/MM or Cobra wing alignment tools. Sometimes turning the tool by hand is sufficient.
The dump handle should be in the closed position. From experience, ASW27/G29 is more difficult with the valve handle in the open position. Using excess force with a Schempp dump valve misalignment may end in tears.
Jim
Old October 31st 16, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Nope. The best way to incorporate a hex head is to drill an undersized pilot hole in the tool end. Then press in a length of hex bar stock that has a bevel ground onto the end so it won't "shave" the Delrin as it is forced in with a press. The Delrin will "flow" enough and lock the hex in place.

Note I did not incorporate the above on the tool I made as I considered a hex wrench to be too "fiddly" to reverse direction. In use, there are times when the eccentric tool wants to be moved back and forth and the ratchet wrench is near hopeless for this. I (of course!) think my design with the three cross holes is functionally better. The 1/2" stainless steel handle rod is bent at it's center, the bend is such that it splits the angle between the three cross holes that provide 6 handle positions - so with the bent handle there are 12 discrete firm positions, the bend also acts as a handle "stop" when inserting the handle, as designed, it works flawlessly (and I'm not one known for leaving well enough alone - sigh .
Old October 31st 16, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 2:35:26 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
Using excess force with a Schempp dump valve misalignment may end in tears.

Oh dear, how do we know this???