1976 Overhaul, 1100 Hours..Pass???/

Old September 10th 05, 09:28 PM

Default 1976 Overhaul, 1100 Hours..Pass???/

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at at 172 that has 1100 hours since overhaul, holding 73/90
++ on all cylinders...the only thing holding me back, last overhaul was
1976...

I've talked to several seasoned pilots / aircraft owners that say as
long as it's holding good compressions, don't sweat it....

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Jamie A. Landers
PP-ASEL
Looking for a 172

Old September 10th 05, 10:10 PM
JJS

I'm looking at at 172 that has 1100 hours since overhaul, holding 73/90
++ on all cylinders...the only thing holding me back, last overhaul was
1976...

Don't pass yet!
Are you sure that's not supposed to read 73 / 80 compressions on all cylinders?
How many hours has it flown in the last year?
In the last 6 months?
Does it have chrome cylinders?
Does the static run-up meet the type certificate minimum rpm?
How many major overhauls and was the last one a quality job?
Is the engine on a low to mid time airframe?
Is the price discounted enough to account for the fact you may need an overhaul soon?

I'm gonna get flamed here, but if it has been flying quite a bit recently, makes good static rpm, has chrome
cylinders and good logbooks, you may be on to a good buy. I'd have a pre-buy inspection done including a borescope
of the cylinders. You should also consider asking the trusted A&P to pull a jug and inspect the camshaft. If
everything checks out okay make an offer based on the above considerations.
--
Joe Schneider
8437R

Old September 10th 05, 11:34 PM
RST Engineering

That is patent bull****.

Jim

1100 hours in 29 years? That's 38 hours a year. The insides of that
engine are full of rust and everything is going to go to hell all at once.

Old September 11th 05, 12:08 AM
mike regish

I'd probably want to get a look at the camshaft. That sits out of the oil
and can get pitted by lack of use. Might want to take off a jug and have a
look.

mike

Old September 11th 05, 01:15 AM
pbc76049

Start it, get it warm and pull an oil sample. If the cam it tits up,
the metal will be visable in the sample. Also, pulling a single jug
won't get ALL the lobes visable, and I've never seen ALL the lobes have
trouble
at the same time.

Old September 11th 05, 02:31 AM
tony roberts

Don't ask us if it's any good. The ONLY way to tell that is with a
thorough pre-buy inspection by someone who knows what they are doing.
How long since annual? If you are serious it may be worth negotiating
with the owner to put it through annual and you pay the prebuy portion.

As you describe it, the plane may be in great shape - it may not -
thaqt's why you need at least the pre-buy.
But you do have a great bargaining chip!

Good luck with it.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old September 11th 05, 03:48 AM

whats the recient history.
Time sucks for normal things, but an engines history can tell a lot.
When was the time put on?
was it all in the first years or was it in the last years?
If it was in the first few years, i would be more suspect. if it was in
the last few years, i would feel very comfortable.
If it was mostly old time, that should reflect in the asking price, ie
engine rebuild time may be near.

Fly it and then get a good prebuy
Dave

Old September 11th 05, 04:38 AM
Jay Honeck

I'm looking at at 172 that has 1100 hours since overhaul, holding 73/90
++ on all cylinders...the only thing holding me back, last overhaul was
1976...

What year 172? Does it have the H2AD engine?

How many hours in RECENT years is most important. If it got 1000 hours from
'76 to '86, and then 100 hours since '87, run like hell.

If, on the other hand, it's flown a lot in the last five years, you may be
okay.

Study the logs, young Grasshopper, as they will tell the tale.

:-)

(And get a thorough pre-buy inspection!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 11th 05, 04:20 PM
No Spam

On 9/10/05 15:28, " wrote:

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at at 172 that has 1100 hours since overhaul, holding 73/90
++ on all cylinders...the only thing holding me back, last overhaul was
1976...

I've talked to several seasoned pilots / aircraft owners that say as
long as it's holding good compressions, don't sweat it....

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Jamie A. Landers
PP-ASEL
Looking for a 172

1100 hours in 30 years. Can you say, "Rust"? I knew you could...

- Don
To confine our attention to terrestrial matters
would be to limit the spirit - Stephen Hawking