Selling my airplane

Old February 16th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

Default Selling my airplane

I've decided to sell '87D (anyone interested can see it on
rec.aviation.marketplace).

Whether I'll buy another airplane is uncertain, but right now I'm doubtful.
There are just too many negatives associated with owning an airplane in the
Mobile area -- principally hangar and mechanic problems. Most likely I'll go
back to renting from the Flight School, as the local aero club doesn't have
anything more capable than Skyhawks.

For the most part, I've loved having my own airplane, but it looks like soon
I'll be faced with either parking it outdoors or paying $320/mo. for a T
hangar at Fairhope, neither of which is acceptable. Put that together with
the fact that I've been unable to find a mechanic I can really trust, and you
have a situation I just can't enjoy. The FBO monopoly around here keeps fuel
prices high, too, another aggravation.

You folks that have cheap fuel, good mechanics or good hangar deals count your
blessings.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 16th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 2/16/2007 9:34:07 AM, "Dan Luke" wrote:

I've decided to sell '87D (anyone interested can see it on
rec.aviation.marketplace).

And you just had the interior and exterior redone, no?

An active Angel Flight pilot you were, too. What a loss all the way around.
Sorry for that, Dan.

--
Peter
Old February 16th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Peter R." wrote:

I've decided to sell '87D (anyone interested can see it on
rec.aviation.marketplace).

And you just had the interior and exterior redone, no?

Yep. For some reason, I thought having a pretty airplane would make me feel
differently about things. Go figure.

An active Angel Flight pilot you were, too.

I can still do AFs in a rental.

What a loss all the way around.
Sorry for that, Dan.

Yeah, it sucks. It's been coming for a year or so. The attitude towards
light GA around here really gets old after a while.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old February 16th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

On Feb 16, 10:34 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
I've decided to sell '87D (anyone interested can see it on
rec.aviation.marketplace).

Whether I'll buy another airplane is uncertain, but right now I'm doubtful.
There are just too many negatives associated with owning an airplane in the
Mobile area -- principally hangar and mechanic problems. Most likely I'll go
back to renting from the Flight School, as the local aero club doesn't have
anything more capable than Skyhawks.

For the most part, I've loved having my own airplane, but it looks like soon
I'll be faced with either parking it outdoors or paying $320/mo. for a T
hangar at Fairhope, neither of which is acceptable. Put that together with
the fact that I've been unable to find a mechanic I can really trust, and you
have a situation I just can't enjoy. The FBO monopoly around here keeps fuel
prices high, too, another aggravation.

Boy you really know how to make a sales pitch

Old February 16th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"xyzzy" wrote:

[...]

Heh!

It's a great airplane. Mobile's just not a great place to be an airplane
owner.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old February 16th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

On Feb 16, 1:01 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"xyzzy" wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear that.

I am a longtime club pilot and often have ownership aspirations.
However one factor against it is a steady drumbeat of emails and
magazine articles from AOPA talking about how bad things have the
potential to get (user fees, airport closings, etc.) if things break
the wrong way politically. I know they want to urge people to action
but in my case it has the opposite effect, making me more gun-shy
about making such a large financial commitment to ownership. I
wonder how many other people it has the same effect on. I have no
idea if it is as dire as AOPA claims but even if it gets half as bad
as they suggest...

I'm not saying this is the only thing stopping me, but it is something
to make an aspiring owner go hmmmmm, maybe I'll just keep renting
until all this stuff settles down.

Old February 16th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Dan Luke" wrote:

[snip]
For the most part, I've loved having my own airplane, but it looks like soon
I'll be faced with either parking it outdoors or paying $320/mo. for a T
hangar

man, I'd love to have a hangar at only $320/month.

Ma$$port raised the hangar rates to over $600/month!

You folks that have cheap fuel, good mechanics or good hangar deals count
your
blessings.

amen

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old February 16th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

I'd love to have a hangar at only $320/month.

I recently sold my 172M of 31 years. What you coast guys have to put
up with! You can rent my Shell Lake WI hangar (KSSQ) (single, new,
tight, solid, power door etc, and carpeted) for $90/month.

Old February 16th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Bob Noel" wrote:

only $320/month.

AAAAARRRGGHHH!

Old February 16th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 2/16/2007 4:07:40 PM, "nrp" wrote:

You can rent my Shell Lake WI hangar (KSSQ) (single, new,
tight, solid, power door etc, and carpeted) for $90/month.

Wow.... excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth.

I pay $260/month for a mice infested, drafty, manual door that won't close
completely in the winter, never gets plowed, 1960s tin relic in Syracuse, NY.
Well, OK, electricity is included.

--
Peter

Selling airplane Doug Owning 5 March 4th 06 02:24 PM
New Company selling Airplane Propellers for Experimental, Display and Air Plane Pieces Inc Owning 8 September 18th 04 05:02 PM
Selling our O-320-E2D optics student Aviation Marketplace 0 October 29th 03 04:29 AM