1960 pictures of Singapore. Help wanted

Old October 6th 03, 06:53 AM
George Bell

Default 1960 pictures of Singapore. Help wanted

I have posted a lot of old pictures of Singapore - taken when I was at
RAF Changi in 1960. I can't remember what the subjects were, or where
they were located, in a lot of cases. Anyone who was there at the time
and who has a better memory could maybe help?
www.maribelecosystems.com look in Personal Stuff.

Thanks for any help George Bell.
Old October 6th 03, 05:18 PM
Gordon

When you were stationed on Gan, did you make it to Diego Garcia? Just
wondering if you ever visited, or took photos of DG "back in the day".

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."
Old October 8th 03, 07:06 AM
Gordon

Gan
was only a short way from the equator (it still is!) and I was told by
the Captain of one of the SAR Target Towing Launches that we had
"crossed the line" one day on a Sarah test run. That was my first
time!

You always remember your first - thankfully, there weren't any Shelbacks in
range of you when you flew over!

Gan was certainly pristine back then, I'd imagine. We often flew fuel-burn
missions up and around the little island chains to the north of Diego, and most
looked like little bits of heaven.

sure miss it...

Old October 12th 03, 06:39 PM
Gordon

Did you read the section about going back to Gan in 1996? It's tacked
on to the end of "Dear Mum", which has now reached it's 11 th. Chapter
! I was not ecpecting so much to be the same. We are planning to go
back again with the kids, If I can only make the fare and find the
time.

I'm glad it was a cool "homecoming". The Navy fought me when I attempted to
change my home of record to Diego Garcia - but the truth is, I just loved the
place! Gorgeous chicks behind every mountain... only rains on days that end in
the letter Y... etc., etc. Truth is, I thought it was like Gilligans
Island, with a bar and proper fishing tackle. )

have a good weekend, George.
v/r
Gordon