FWD: Look at this internet patch for Microsoft Internet Explorer

Old September 25th 03, 04:14 PM
Charles S

Default FWD: Look at this internet patch for Microsoft Internet Explorer

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...me=WORM_GIBE.B

Above is a link to the FIX and a description.
"Big John" wrote in message
Watch this one. Looks like a scam that has been going around. Don't
get sucked in.

If in doubt, go to MS site and download direct from them. Best odds of
gettng a clean down load.

Big John

On 23 Sep 2003 06:09:27 GMT, "yuumiee ebihara"
wrote:

Microsoft Customer

this is the latest version of security update, the
"September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes
all known security vulnerabilities affecting
MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express
as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities.
Install now to maintain the security of your computer
from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could
allow an attacker to run code on your system.
This update includes the functionality of all previously released

patches.

Old September 25th 03, 07:22 PM
Big John

Jim

You can look at the e-mail address on thread and it almost guarantees
it to be dangerous.

Hope you get cleaned up.

I installed "Mailwasher" and it checks on your ISP and lets you
preview and mark those you want for download and the rest to be
deleted from ISP and not downloaded to you system.

Look up via Google. Believe they have a 30 day test mode you can try.
Costs $29.95 if you buy.

If you mark any "blacklist" then they are bounced back to sender
without any effort on your part and never show up on your computer.

It's not 1000% but does pretty good.

I have no monetary interest in company which is in NZ.

Big John

wrote:

Microsoft Customer

this is the latest version of security update, the
"September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes
all known security vulnerabilities affecting
MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express
as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities.
Install now to maintain the security of your computer
from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could
allow an attacker to run code on your system.
This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.

Don't even think about executing that link. It contains SWEN virus.
My email is only now settling down to normal levels, and I didn't
execute it, but others did that had my email address in their systems.
Jim Stockton

Old September 25th 03, 08:03 PM
Jim Stockton

wrote:

Microsoft Customer

this is the latest version of security update, the
"September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes
all known security vulnerabilities affecting
MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express
as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities.
Install now to maintain the security of your computer
from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could
allow an attacker to run code on your system.
This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.

Don't even think about executing that link. It contains SWEN virus.
My email is only now settling down to normal levels, and I didn't
execute it, but others did that had my email address in their systems.
Jim Stockton

I already have that with PDQ but have been too lazy to use it until this
started. My mailbox was going over 10Meg about once an hour the second
day. I finally started letting it bounce. I think PDQ finally got a
filter going or it slowly died off because I haven't had one for a
couple of days.
Later
Jim Stockton
Old September 25th 03, 09:34 PM
Barnyard BOb --

I installed "Mailwasher" and it checks on your ISP and lets you
preview and mark those you want for download and the rest to be
deleted from ISP and not downloaded to you system.

Look up via Google. Believe they have a 30 day test mode you can try.
Costs $29.95 if you buy.

If you mark any "blacklist" then they are bounced back to sender
without any effort on your part and never show up on your computer.

It's not 1000% but does pretty good.

I have no monetary interest in company which is in NZ.

Big John

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mailwasher is... FREE.
Mailwasher PRO is not.

See....
http://www.mailwasher.net/

Barnyard BOb --
Old September 26th 03, 09:44 PM
Big John

BOb

I bought the 'Pro' based on the advice of my Guru.

Has done pretty good so far.

I also run a router and Firewall which is automatically updated each
day.

Road Runner also has a filter and my back up ISP also has a filter.
Hot Mail is only used on the News Groups and since there are no
attachments that I would open, feel pretty well covered. I call it my
double 'rubber' approach. If one system is good, two are better and
three is even better G

With all that, I still say a prayer each night before I go to bed G

Big John

Old September 26th 03, 11:52 PM
nuke

Sometimes the email address is [superficially] believable. The rule to
remember is that MS does not email patches out to you. So is you get
anything purporting to be such a beast - DELETE IT. If you get an email
from someone you don't know, or bearing an attachment you didn't expect, be
very suspicious.

I've received about 100 emails in the last couple of weeks in my "junk"
addresses. They were from "Microsoft", "System Admin", "Email Admin",
"Postmaster", "Inet Security", etc etc. They all had 141 kb or 154 kb
attachments. They were all the same trojan.
nuke

Old September 28th 03, 06:02 PM
Leanne

I've received about 100 emails in the last couple of weeks in my "junk"
addresses. They were from "Microsoft", "System Admin", "Email Admin",
"Postmaster", "Inet Security", etc etc. They all had 141 kb or 154 kb
attachments. They were all the same trojan.

I have been getting about 100 a day. Luckily my isp filters them and I have to
go the Postini site to see what is there along with all of the spam that is also
filtered.

Leanne

Old September 29th 03, 11:50 AM
Model Flyer

"Big John" wrote in message
Watch this one. Looks like a scam that has been going around. Don't
get sucked in.

If in doubt, go to MS site and download direct from them. Best odds

of
gettng a clean down load.

Big John

I feel sorry for anybody who fell for that one, Microsoft never send
out unsolicited e-mail all updates are request only. Anyhow all
updates would never fit in a 155Kb file, however good antivirus
software usually catches that one immediately. Mailwasher is good at
marking suspect email, however it takes too long bouncing mail to be
anygood to me. I'm on a pay per second service so the time it spends
bouncing mail is too long. I haven't found a way to set it to only
delete from my ISP's server to reduce time.

I managed to get around my spam problem by using a dummy return
address and never placing my real email address in the body of a
message or my sig. I beleive you can protect your own address book by
placing a dummy address as the first one in the list, when a worm
tries to process this it fails. This simple step is supposed to
prevent a worm from trying further addresses in you book.
--

..

Old September 29th 03, 10:12 PM
nafod40

I feel sorry for anybody who fell for that one, Microsoft never send
out unsolicited e-mail all updates are request only. Anyhow all
updates would never fit in a 155Kb file, however good antivirus
software usually catches that one immediately. Mailwasher is good at
marking suspect email, however it takes too long bouncing mail to be
anygood to me. I'm on a pay per second service so the time it spends
bouncing mail is too long. I haven't found a way to set it to only
delete from my ISP's server to reduce time.

Do a google search for Swendeleter. It is a program that can go to a
POP3 server and delete emails that closely fit the profile. Not perfect,
but it gets about 80% of them. Saves on download time.

Never mind on the google...here it is.

http://www.hashref.com/prj/swendeleter/

Old September 30th 03, 01:06 AM
Warren & Nancy