Lowrance GPS

Old January 18th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Lowrance GPS

Hello all,

I put away a few pennies here and there and now its time to invest in a
good GPS receiver. I've decided that the Lowrance will give me all I need.
And maybe more since I won't be doing any IFR. (Yes, I know it isn't IFR
rated anyway. The point is I won't need it for IFR backup, etc..)

Q1 -- Why should I buy the color system over the B&W?

Q2 -- Can either the 1000 or 2000c be loaded with the land database and used
to navigate on the ground?

Q3 -- Anybody ever time out a set of fresh alkaline batteries?
How long did they last?
Same question(s) for NiMH, please

Q4 -- Any druthers on a different brand?

Go Fly!

Casey

Old January 18th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A1 -- I bought the B&W because I was able to get the brand new one for
$399. Don't have much use for the color really. The only positive
that I can think of is that I hear rumors that the 2000C will be able
to get the realtime weather upgrade in the future and the 1000 will
not.

A2-- Both can. It comes with a program called Map Create. You just
compile the map and put it on the SD Card in the unit. You will need
a MUCH bigger chip than the dinky one that come with the unit. I got
a 1G SD chip and it holds what I need.

A3-- Have not timed it out, but I know that I put a set of Alkaline
batteries in my unit and used them for about 2 hours and the unit
indicated under 1/2 power left. HAve not used NiCAD in the unit.

A4 -- I Can not answer this one.

Q1 -- Why should I buy the color system over the B&W?

Q2 -- Can either the 1000 or 2000c be loaded with the land database and used
to navigate on the ground?

Q3 -- Anybody ever time out a set of fresh alkaline batteries?
How long did they last?
Same question(s) for NiMH, please

Q4 -- Any druthers on a different brand?

Go Fly!

Casey

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old January 18th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Interspersed comments below.....

Q1 -- Why should I buy the color system over the B&W?

Brighter, easier to read screen, in all light conditions, with a
wider angle of viewing...pilot can read it on co-pilots yoke..

Q2 -- Can either the 1000 or 2000c be loaded with the land database and used
to navigate on the ground?

Yes, it is included, unless you want the Canadian data, it's extra..

Q3 -- Anybody ever time out a set of fresh alkaline batteries?

Yup!
How long did they last?

3 hrs for colour, 4 hrs B&W

Same question(s) for NiMH, please

dono, never used them

Q4 -- Any druthers on a different brand?

Once you get out of the "Garmin, Garmin, Garmin' mind set, the 2000
wins hands down, IMHO

We had the B&W for a year, got the colour 5 mos ago.

On a Warrior's yoke, we have yet to plug in the remote antenna.
Waiting for the terrain 1GB card, (end of Jan), and will be loading
the Canadian database then as well. Lowrance support in Canada has
been the very best.. Unit is easy to learn and use.

We like it very much, has exceeded our expectations....

And NO FREAKING MAGNETS in the antenna with instructions to mount it
on the cowl!! (beside the compass) !!

WHAT was Garmin thinking??

Glad we made the choice we did..

YMMV

Cheers!

Dave

Go Fly!

Casey

Old January 18th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Q1 -- Why should I buy the color system over the B&W?

We went from the Airmap 300 to the 2000c.

Color makes a world of difference. You can simply display much more (and
more easily interpreted at a glance) information with color than you can
with grayscale.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 18th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bought the 1000 about 6 months ago for $250 by using my 300 trade in.
The 2000 was $300 more. I have wondered if I should have gotten the
2000, but I am perfectly happy with the 1000. It is a very nice unit.
Actually I think the bw may be easier to read. From the pictures I've
seen it appears less cluttered. YMMV

Old January 18th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Casey,

Q1 -- Why should I buy the color system over the B&W?

Many people feel that the different colors add to clarity and decluttering of
the image. If the plane(s) you normally fly have a color GPS (e.g. Garmin 430)
anyway, I would say you can do withou color. If the Lowrance is going to be
your only moving map, I'd prefer color.

Q2 -- Can either the 1000 or 2000c be loaded with the land database and used
to navigate on the ground?

Absolutely. In fact, you can generate land maps for the US of areas that are of
interest to you with the MapCreate software that's included on your PC. You
then transfer those files to an SD card and put that into the Airmap. If you
load a Jepp update onto that same SD card, both will be displayed together. In
that case, you can finely tune what should be displayed and what not. Or you
simply switch SD cards once you want to navigate on the ground. It all happens
on SD card, and both the card reader and detailed customizable road maps for
the US are included with the unit.

Q3 -- Anybody ever time out a set of fresh alkaline batteries?
How long did they last?

What they say on the site is accurate. The 1000 will last several hours,
depending on how much you use back lighting.

The 2000c will last 1 to 2 hours, so you'll want external power.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 18th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Casey,

Oh, one more thing: The color variant comes with terrain, if you want
that.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 18th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Just FYI, the 1000 is great for basic VFR. I just sold mine to get a Garmin
196, as the 196 includes published approaches from the FAF (no VNAV). The
1000 has waypoints only. I know you cannot legally fly an approach with the
196, but if it all goes dark, then this could be a real help. I liked the
fact that the 1000 could take standard memory cards, I hate Garmin for the
way they rip you a new one for their proprietary memory.

- Barney

Old January 19th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Color displays eat up batteries. I you power it off the airplane, thats
not an issue. I have a Garmin 195 which is Black and White and it has
served me well. If you fly a lot, batteries are a hassle. I would try
and get a solution that doesnt mean batteries, if possible. If that is
not possible, I'd get a Black and White unit. They do the job, and you
are waaaay better off with a B&W working unit than a color that has run
out of power and is now shut down.

Old January 19th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Doug" wrote:

Color displays eat up batteries. I you power it off the airplane, thats
not an issue. I have a Garmin 195 which is Black and White and it has
served me well. If you fly a lot, batteries are a hassle. I would try
and get a solution that doesnt mean batteries, if possible. If that is
not possible, I'd get a Black and White unit. They do the job, and you
are waaaay better off with a B&W working unit than a color that has run
out of power and is now shut down.

How long does it run on a set of batteries? With Rechargeable NiMH
batteries affordable this may not be that big of an issue.

Ron Lee