Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

Old July 8th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

Default Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:58:20 GMT, john smith wrote:

Austrian schools do not have football fields with running tracks around

not generally, but we have running tracks around our socker fields.
but a running track around a field does not neccessarily point out a
school.

them. One has to be familiar with what one is looking at to recognize it.

and if I had 100% positive ID of highschool, how do I know that it is the
mentioned highschool? It was not painted on their roof or something to that
effect. *g*

#m
--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
Old July 8th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"john smith" wrote

"The Little French Girl" flew from Ohio to Montreal a year or so ago.
The locals were talking to the tower in the local French dialect. She, a
native French speaker, could not understand them.

From what I understand, the French spoken in Montreal is enough different
that it should be considered its own language. The Montrealites are quite
proud of that.

It was my observation that the French of Montreal were more rude and
uncooperative than the French of Paris. Weird, huh?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 8th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Emily" wrote

LOL! I've been lurking and sometimes posting for well over five years.
I'm sure he ended up kill filed at some point (ok, so a lot of people
had), but a recent computer crashed wiped all that out. g

Yep. I think I am about to be in the same place. :-((

I give everyone a new chance at life, every once-in-a-while. Funny, how
most of them go back in, within the first week, or two.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 8th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Emily" wrote)
LOL! I've been lurking and sometimes posting for well over five years.
I'm sure he ended up kill filed at some point (ok, so a lot of people
had), but a recent computer crashed wiped all that out. g

No, no, no. Don't kill-file Larry.

Read him. Try to understand him ...understanding that he has his (inspired?
in love?) "up" months, and his more ...serious, somber, literal, "not so up"
months. He ebbs and he flows over time.

The thing I like about Larry is - you can seldom, if ever, accuse him of
"drinking the Kool-Aid." He's a thinker, well, maybe more of a data
analyzer, ...not a believer or a follower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool-aid
Interesting "Drinking The Kool-Aid" history - since I was just reading about
Ken Kesey's bus, Furthur. Kesey wrote One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest -
which, as a movie in 1975, earned 5 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

Montblack
"The movie [One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest] was the first to win all five
major Academy Awards since It Happened One Night in 1934. This
accomplishment was not repeated until 1991, with The Silence of the Lambs."

Old July 8th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Larry Dighera" wrote)
...I'm pulling a Stephen King in "Creepshow" (1982)

Have you ever considered dwelling in the real world instead of the realm
of fiction? Fictional accounts are so vastly inferior to real life
events, that I find them (and hence most of your cinematic references)
unworthy of notice.

I paint from a different palette than you - that's all. In the end, it's
what sticks to the wall that counts.

The Odd couple (1968)
Oscar Madison: Now kindly remove that spaghetti from my poker table.
[Felix laughs]
Oscar Madison: The hell's so funny?
Felix Ungar: It's not spaghetti, it's linguini.
[Oscar picks up the linguini and hurls it against the kitchen wall]
Oscar Madison: Now it's garbage.

Montblack :-)
Oscar Madison: "You can't spend the rest of your life crying. It annoys
people in the movies."

Old July 8th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Montblack wrote:
("Emily" wrote)
LOL! I've been lurking and sometimes posting for well over five years.
I'm sure he ended up kill filed at some point (ok, so a lot of people
had), but a recent computer crashed wiped all that out. g

No, no, no. Don't kill-file Larry.

I haven't. My statement was simply saying that probably everyone
posting here has been in mine at one point in time. g

snip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool-aid
Interesting "Drinking The Kool-Aid" history - since I was just reading
about
Ken Kesey's bus, Furthur. Kesey wrote One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest -
which, as a movie in 1975, earned 5 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

And here I only associated it with Jim Jones...
Old July 8th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Martin,

I've been to some smaller airports in the US and there has been almost some
form of local 'slang' and wording,

You mean like "climbing fortyfivehundred"? ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 8th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Larry,

I would think the aerial view of a high school would be distinctive
enough to be recognized by most folks; just look for the oval track in
the grass surrounded by classrooms.

Not if you come from a country where schools don't center on jocks.

As an aside, I once asked a first year student at MIT what she liked
best about MIT. "No jocks" was the immediate answer. She went on to
explain that MIT was a true meritocraty (sp?) as opposed to
sport-centric schools. Made sense to me. I'm not good at sports, either
;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 8th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Martin,

Austrian schools do not have football fields with running tracks around

not generally, but we have running tracks around our socker fields.
but a running track around a field does not neccessarily point out a
school.

Forget about the running track, look for muzzle flashes, listen for gun
fire.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 8th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Larry,

I would think the aerial view of a high school would be distinctive
enough to be recognized by most folks; just look for the oval track in
the grass surrounded by classrooms.

Not if you come from a country where schools don't center on jocks.

Schools in the US center on jocks? I must have been out of it.