We don't need no steenkeeng one-man rig

Old March 20th 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default We don't need no steenkeeng one-man rig

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:42:18 PM UTC-6, Ralph Jones wrote:
Actually the guns, which

accounted for about 350 lb per wing, wouldn't have been installed

until after assembly.

Yep. I tried to say just the mounting hardware not the guns themselves but I wasn't clear. The gun mounting hardware is heavy.
I found a reference saying each P-47 blade weighed 110 Lbs so maybe 500 lbs including the hub. That's still a lot for those guys to be lifting as high as they did. Greatest generation indeed.
Old March 21st 13, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:44:01 PM UTC+1, Bill D wrote:

That P-47 wing had a self-sealing fuel tank, 4, .50 cal gun mounts with ammunition trays and numerous hard points for bombs and rockets. It also had a main gear leg to support all that weight. The fuselage had pilot armor and heavy vacuum tube avionics. "Civilianized" WWII fighters often weighed a ton less than the GI versions after they were stripped of the mil-stuff..

Minor detail - P-47s didn't get internal wing tanks until the late-war P-47N model. If this is a C, it wouldn't even have wing bomb/drop tank racks.

Still a big hunk of metal!

Kirk
66