Country Conversion

Old March 22nd 13, 07:48 PM
Ganonman Ganonman is offline
Junior Member

Default Country Conversion

Hey everybody!

I am 17 years old and i received my GPL in 2011. I am Canadian but I am currently living in Stockholm, Sweden for a year. My question is, how can I fly a glider in another country? I figured that I would probably need some sort of conversion but who or where do I contact to start the process? I will be going to Austria during the summer and il have the chance to fly with a friend I one of the other students here in Sweden (he's on of the redbull glider pilots). Thanks everybody and I look forward to hearing your responses!

-Jacob
Old March 23rd 13, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

--
Ganonman

Depends on your medical category. If you self-declared (Canadian
Category IV), it is not recognized by most states. If you have a
Canadian Cat III, it is equivalent to an ICAO Class II, which you'll
need, but the fact it is not explicitly stated on the licence can be
problematic.
See more on medical cats at http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...42402-1412.htm

With a bit of aggressive googling, you find an equivalency chart for
medicals:
Canada issues the following medical certificates:
Category 1–equivalent to ICAO Class 1 Medical Assessment. Includes
flight engineer licence.
Category 2–equivalent to ICAO Class 3 Medical Assessment.
Category 3–equivalent to ICAO Class 2 Medical Assessment. Excludes
flight engineer licence and glider pilot licence.
Category 4–non-ICAO, valid only in Canadian Airspace. Applies to:
glider pilot licences, recreational pilot permits, and ultra-light
aeroplane permits.
This was found at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...70.htm#lar-1-8,
specifically, para 1.8.
Probably worth copying this LRA excerpt and bringing it with you -
some SAC members have had difficulty getting this accepted.

The other thing you've got to watch is time - in Canada, medical is
good for 60 months, ICAO, 24. If you get a foreign licence based on
your Canadian licence by similarity, some states stick to 24 months,
some say your foreign licence is good as long as your Canadian one is
(therefore, 60 months). I lived outside of Canada for 8 years, and it
varies by state, and at times, by region within states.

If you search http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio....htm#lar-1-8-1,
you'll find:
"The CARs or any Bilateral Flight Crew Licensing Agreement with an
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) contracting State,
contain complete licensing requirements and specific details for
individual permits, licences, ratings and medical requirements. Flight
crew licensing regulations and standards are found in:

a) Part IV— CAR 401 and 421, Flight Crew Permits, Licences and
Ratings;

b) Part IV— CAR 404 and 424, Medical Requirements; or

c) Bilateral Flight Crew Licensing Agreement. "

Good sources of information are pilot's associations such as the
Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (COPA) and the International
Council of Aircraft Owner and Pilot Associations (IAOPA).

Looks like you're in for a thrilling read through the Canadian Air
Regulations! It might be smart to bite the bullet and get an Euro ICAO
Class II medical if you intend to fly over there... If you licenced in
2011, you'll be up against the 24 months of Cat III (ours)/II (ICAOs).

Good luck.

Dan

Old March 23rd 13, 03:03 PM
Ganonman Ganonman is offline
Junior Member

I have a Canadian category 3 medical but it has been more then 24 months. And il only be Austria for a week this summer so I am thinking maybe that flying wont happen this time. Jeez I got my license through the royal Canadian air cadets and I haven't gotten any chance to fly since (I live in New Brunswick so I have to go quite far to get to the nearest site). Thanks though I appreciate your help!
Old March 23rd 13, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I don't know about the medical stuff but I fly Gliders in Uppsala (also living in Stockholm) We have a couple of two seaters and I'd be happy to take you for a ride if you get in touch.
Peder (+46-70-566-5226)
Old March 23rd 13, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, March 22, 2013 3:48:09 PM UTC-4, Ganonman wrote:
I will be going to Austria during the summer and il have the
chance to fly with a friend

Best to not overlook the obvious. If you fly in a two place glider and the other pilot is PIC, then why would you need a license? If you want to solo, that is another matter, but I'd rather fly tandem with a Red Bull sponsored pilot (assuming that I had a parachute
Old March 23rd 13, 09:32 PM
Ganonman Ganonman is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I don't know about the medical stuff but I fly Gliders in Uppsala (also living in Stockholm) We have a couple of two seaters and I'd be happy to take you for a ride if you get in touch.
Peder (+46-70-566-5226)
I will certainly do that! Tack så mycket!

-Jacob

VHS to DVD conversion tom Home Built 0 October 21st 07 04:50 AM
VW Conversion [email protected] Home Built 4 June 3rd 07 07:43 PM
cub to sua conversion Tuno Soaring 2 March 23rd 07 12:23 PM
LS-4 to LS-4a conversion Dan Peters Soaring 1 September 1st 06 01:29 AM
LS-4 to LS-4a conversion Dan Peters Soaring 1 August 29th 06 06:50 AM