Lassie:The Flying Machine

Old December 3rd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,alt.fan.furry

Default Lassie:The Flying Machine

As some of you* already know, I am building a webpage that lists
appearances of gliders in movies and TV shows. After some googling, I
have determined that "The Flying Machine", an episode from season 6 of
"Lassie", has some scenes with a glider, and should be included. I am
therefore trying to get some screen-shots of the episode.
Unfortunately, it does not appear to have made it to the new DVD sets.
Is there in the audience a dedicated Lassie fan with off-the-air
recordings of the series who could give me a hand?

Johan Larson
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso.../onscreen.html
[*] ...particularly in RAS...

Old December 5th 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Bahlinger

Hi,

schrieb:
As some of you* already know, I am building a webpage that lists
appearances of gliders in movies and TV shows.

[...]
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso.../onscreen.html

did you notice the canopy being opened to the wrong side in your last
picture of the Duo-Discus in "The Thomas Crown Affair"? You can see the
opened hinges at the frame. Let's hope they did at least not enter or
leave the cockpit at this "wrong" side of the plane :-)

Martin
Old December 5th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Martin Bahlinger wrote:
Hi,

schrieb:
As some of you* already know, I am building a webpage that lists
appearances of gliders in movies and TV shows.

[...]
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso.../onscreen.html

did you notice the canopy being opened to the wrong side in your last
picture of the Duo-Discus in "The Thomas Crown Affair"? You can see the
opened hinges at the frame. Let's hope they did at least not enter or
leave the cockpit at this "wrong" side of the plane :-)

According to the rumour mill, Pierce Brosnan is vain enough about
being filmed on his good side that they modified the aircraft to have
the canopy open to the other side. But that's unconfirmed.

Johan Larson

Old December 5th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

wrote in message
ups.com...

Martin Bahlinger wrote:
Hi,

schrieb:
As some of you* already know, I am building a webpage that lists
appearances of gliders in movies and TV shows.

[...]
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso.../onscreen.html

did you notice the canopy being opened to the wrong side in your last
picture of the Duo-Discus in "The Thomas Crown Affair"? You can see the
opened hinges at the frame. Let's hope they did at least not enter or
leave the cockpit at this "wrong" side of the plane :-)

According to the rumour mill, Pierce Brosnan is vain enough about
being filmed on his good side that they modified the aircraft to have
the canopy open to the other side. But that's unconfirmed.

Johan Larson

At one time Tom Knauff had information relating to the making of the movie
posted on his website. The cockpit used in the studio shots had many
modifications including the one mentioned above.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old December 5th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

Nope, as a filmmaker in another life, I can tell you it was simply done
for visual continuity. Besides, there are plenty of scenes in the movie
where they deliberately filmed Brosnan's left side where they certainly
had a choice of which side to shoot.

Larry

" wrote in message
ups.com:

Martin Bahlinger wrote:
Hi,

Old December 5th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

01-- Zero One wrote:
[Regarding the claim that the canopy in the Duo Discus used in The
Thomas Crown Affair opens to the right rather than left because Pierce
Brosnan preferes to be shot from that side...]
Nope, as a filmmaker in another life, I can tell you it was simply done
for visual continuity. Besides, there are plenty of scenes in the movie
where they deliberately filmed Brosnan's left side where they certainly
had a choice of which side to shoot.

scratches head Continuity with what?

Johan Larson

Old December 6th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

Johan,

There are visual rules for action, camera placement, cutting between two
different views of the same scene, etc. within the craft of filmmaking.
While one may not be aware of them, they are used nonetheless. And it
is those nuances that keep the flow in the action apparent and unstilted
or not interrupted.

For instance, in this particular scene, the director is trying to make
the ultimate statement that they have flown straight out and landed a
long way from home. Most of the shots in this particular scene are
taken from the right side of the sailplane - hence, they are flying left
to right in the frame. If you cut to a shot of them in the field with
the glider pointed to the left, you might easily make the visual
assumption that they had turned around at the last minute and flown back
home. Hence, keeping the scene "continuity" proper, they needed to take
the shot from the right side of the sailplane.

Larry Goddard

"01" USA

PS: "Continuity" also refers to making sure that items that are in one
shot of the scene are also there in a shot from another angle so that it
doesn't appear that the "magic coffee cup" disappears from the table
every time the camera angle changes.

" wrote in message
ps.com:

Old December 7th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MickiMinner

In watching the new version of the Thomas Crown Affair, I keep thinking
of Paul Weedin, who spent weeks of his life, merely putting Rene Russo
and Pierce Brosnan in and out of the mockup glider for filming. I
think Paul said it was "easy money". I also watch the segment watching
the glider from above, where supposedly Pierce Brosnan puts his hand on
the head of Rene Russo and wonder if Tom Knauff was straightening
Doris' wig! Ahhhhhh....the magic of movies and Hollyweird!
micki