Diamond DA20-C1 pirep

Old January 9th 05, 03:44 PM
Dan Luke

Default Diamond DA20-C1 pirep

The local flight school bought one of these and I took a checkout in it
last Friday. I didn't plan on ever renting it, but I wanted to try it
out because it looks so cute and I'd never flown a new airplane before.

It's probably unfair--after all, the DA20 is a much newer design--but I
was mentally comparing it to a C-152 the whole time. There were few
respects in which I thought the 152 would be superior, for instance IFR
certification and the ability to take off after soaking in the sun in
100+ deg. F temperatures (the DA20 has a sensor in the cabin that
advises the pilot if the airplane has become too hot to fly). Other
than that, I found the DA20 superior in nearly every respect, especially
comfort and visibility-wise. The DA20 is roomier for two. The
semi-reclining seats are comfortable and the rudder pedals adjust to
suit the pilot. Visibility from the bubble canopy is astounding for
someone used to flying Cessnas

Starting requires a bit of a dance on the primer and throttle because
the little Continental is fuel injected. I had no trouble, but the
owner of the flight school who was giving me the checkout said it was
one of the few times he had ever seen it start on the first try.

There's no nose gear steering, but the airplane taxis well with an
occasional tap on the toe brakes.

Advancing the throttle for takeoff, I found its response very
non-linear. The handle throw is quite long, but nothing much happens in
the first half, then the power comes up abruptly. There was a bit of a
crosswind, and I had to use a little downwind brake to stay aligned
until the rudder was effective. This is a minor disadvantage of the
castoring nose gear, IMO, in that it could reduce short field takeoff
performance slightly. Even after I got off the brake, it seemed to me
that the DA20 required a longer ground roll than a 152, which surprised
me because the DA20 resembles a motor glider: I was expecting to float
off more quickly.

Climbout at near max gross was nearly 1.000 fpm. Turning out of the
pattern, I found the aileron stick force heavier than I would have liked
and not well matched to the elevator force--not too bad, but could be
better.

In cruise, at 75% power at 1,500', the airspeed indicated 130+ kts.
Wow! Try to get *that* from a 152! The airplane was out of yaw trim at
that speed, forcing me to hold left rudder pressure to keep the ball in.
There is no rudder trim adjustment in the cockpit, a luxury I take for
granted in my airplane. I was glad we weren't going on a long trip.

Of course, the first thing Bobby wanted to do was stalls. Ick. I
haven't done a stall in *anything* in four years, let alone an
unfamiliar airplane, so I didn't do so great. The airplane does fine,
though; very gentle and honest. Next we did some steep turns and I
found it difficult to maintain proper pitch attitude without checking
the AI. I just couldn't get a good visual cue without the usual Cessna
windshield frame. Just something to get used to, and believe me, the
spectacular view out that bubble is something I could definitely get
used to.

Back in the pattern, I didn't find the slick little Diamond too
difficult to slow down. Bobby warned me that one needs to get it under
60 kts on final or be prepared to float out over the bay. With proper
airspeed control, I found the DA20 easier to land than a 152, having a
broader "sweet spot" in the flare between three-pointing and ballooning.
Two t-&-g's and a full stop were squeakers with the stall horn blowing,
a tribute to the airplane as much as the pilot.

This is a neat little airplane, which I may change my mind and rent
($80/hr.) for fun on occasion. As a basic trainer, it is just dandy, I
believe, except that students moving on to complex aircraft will find
they are in a prehistoric world flying Pipers and Cessnas. Try one out
if you get a chance, but be warned: that view will spoil you.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 10th 05, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Dan,

Thanks for the report. Glad you liked your (apparently) first
experience in a modern GA aircraft ;-) The view is indeed tremendous
(with apologies to John Glenn). Same in the DA-4, by the way.

The Continental should be easy to start if one uses the methods
described by Deakin in his Avweb columns. I'm afraid I have forgotten
the details.

Since ERAU uses the DA-20 in their Prescott, AZ location, I would guess
the heat limit is more of a theoretical problem.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 11th 05, 02:58 AM
xxx

You're right that the heat limit isn't much of problem at Prescott,
but Prescott is at 5,045 ft. msl. It's a different story entirely
on the desert valley floor, or even in the more moderate temperatures
of Texas.

For a less-favorable initial impression of the C1, see what I wrote
about
it some time ago:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...33731d9983f8be