TSA Follies

Old December 6th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default TSA Follies

Kev writes:

... I think he just meant that people in power have demonstrated
their disregard for our military.

Particularly at the very top.

Old December 6th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

No. That's the perspective of a civilian who's never served, and thus
has no idea who the (U.S.) military is really composed of. They're
just ordinary people, and no, they have no desire to kill anyone, or to
die themselves, any more than someone who gets a driver's license
demonstrates such thoughts.

Different people enlist for different reasons. Some of them do indeed
have a desire to kill, but certainly not all.

Old December 6th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clonts

Steve Foley wrote:
"Kev" wrote in message
ps.com...

Larry Dighera wrote:
Does not one who enlists in the military demonstrate his disregard for
his own life and those whom he intends to kill?

No. That's the perspective of a civilian who's never served, and thus
has no idea who the (U.S.) military is really composed of.

But I just installed 'Call to Duty 3'. It's just like the real thing!!!!

Winner, funniest post of the month award!!!! Kudos!

Old December 6th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Probably not. These are young kids who enlist for a variety of reasons
other than out of disregard for life. Most of them have no better place
to be. Being young, they don't even think of dying or killing when they
enlist. If they do think about it later they figure it won't happen to
them. Isn't that a typical attitude for teenagers? Plus they can hope
that they are not assigned to combat units. Plus they are naive about
how bad it really can be when you get shot. etc.

Old December 6th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Mxsmanic wrote:
Different people enlist for different reasons. Some of them do indeed
have a desire to kill, but certainly not all.

Well, I was in for three years plus some weird active duty callups
after that, and I never met anyone who had a desire to kill. However,
I did meet a guy training to be a SEAL who said he loved blowing things
up. His enthusiasm worried me a bit.

:-)

Kev

Old December 6th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Steve Foley wrote:

But I just installed 'Call to Duty 3'. It's just like the real thing!!!!

HA !!!

What a stupid statement !!! Everyone knows civilians can't learn to
fire a gun in simulation !!! Only real life drill instructors can
teach you how to pull a trigger !!!

You must be a troll, and I'm putting you on a list. Yeah, that's
right. You heard me. And your mother too... because she once said
something nice about you.

gd&r, kev

Old December 6th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
CRaSH

RomeoMike wrote:
Probably not. These are young kids who enlist for a variety of reasons
other than out of disregard for life. Most of them have no better
place to be. Being young, they don't even think of dying or killing
when they enlist. If they do think about it later they figure it
won't happen to them. Isn't that a typical attitude for teenagers?
Plus they can hope that they are not assigned to combat units. Plus
they are naive about how bad it really can be when you get shot. etc.

You hit the nail on the head (too bad it wasn't some other head, but I
digress!!! I for one enlisted because in flatlands Nebraska in the late
50's there wasn't much to offer a high school dropout (or dropin!). Thanks
to the US Navy I ended up with an excellent start for a lifelong career in
electronics, saw much of the world, was aboard the USS Kearsarge when we
picked up astronauts Shirra & Cooper in the south Pacific (62/63), luckily
exited just before Viet Nam totally went nuts, and had vets benefits for
college and PPL. Didn't get shot at (at hit!) until being mugged in Kansas
City 10 years later...........

Cheers'n Beers... [_])
Don

Old December 7th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:

Different people enlist for different reasons. Some of them do indeed
have a desire to kill, but certainly not all.

Some who DON't enlist have a desire to kill....
But it is harder to detect them in civilianhood and weed them out.

In a room full of guys with guns, who have to depend on each other, I
can't imagine much that would be scarier than someone who sits alone
mumbling "Kill, kill, kill".

Old December 7th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

Well, I was in for three years plus some weird active duty callups
after that, and I never met anyone who had a desire to kill.

Unfortunately, they exist.

However, I did meet a guy training to be a SEAL who said he loved
blowing things up. His enthusiasm worried me a bit.

There are worse than that.

If someone has an intense desire to shoot people, wouldn't the
military be a logical choice of career? There aren't too many
competing options.

Old December 7th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:

Does not one who enlists in the military demonstrate his disregard for
his own life and those whom he intends to kill?

Well, that depends. Someone volunteering for camp guard duty in the
Nazi military might fit that description. And I suppose that in our
own history, one could find some times when it might at least be
tantalizingly close.

But in general, no.
Military members train hard to stay alive, protect each other, and at
least in some cases accomplish their mission with as little loss of
life as possible--including the lives of their opponents.

I'd say more, but there are other newsgroups that have the
political/war discussions way off topic. I'd just as soon not see this
one go there as well.

So, anyone want to ask me about my flight to Texas?