Question on AirMap® 600C

Old March 7th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Smith[_2_]

Default Question on AirMap® 600C

I've looked at the manual for the software, and I can't see if the software I have (that came with it) can do this. I went flying in my Cessna with my new Christmas toy (the AirMap® 600C) and I'd like to download the data (trails) so I can see how well I did with my speed and altitude during my flight.

Does any one have a AirMap® 600C and have done this? Is there a 3rd party program that can do this?

Bill.
Old March 7th 07, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Bill,

Does any one have a AirMap® 600C and have done this? Is there a 3rd
party program that can do this?

I think MapCreate can do this, but I am not sure.

However, see
http://www.aeroversand.eu/gpsempfaen.../waypoint.html for
alternative methods. One of the coolest options (to me) is to load
trails into Google Earth. You'll need GPS Babel and GPS Visualizer.

I hate to disappoint you, though: The Airmaps do not store altitude in
their trail data. No GPS unit I know of stores speed, they only do
position (and altitude, if not from Lowrance).

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 7th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bill,

However, seehttp://www.aeroversand.eu/gpsempfaenger/lowrance/wpt/waypoint..htmlfor
alternative methods. One of the coolest options (to me) is to load
trails into Google Earth. You'll need GPS Babel and GPS Visualizer.

I hate to disappoint you, though: The Airmaps do not store altitude in
their trail data. No GPS unit I know of stores speed, they only do
position (and altitude, if not from Lowrance).

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Storing speed is unnecessary. You can calculate speed from position
and time.

Old March 7th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland

On Mar 7, 12:21 am, "Bill Smith" wrote:
I've looked at the manual for the software, and I can't see if the software I have (that came with it) can do this. I went flying in my Cessna with my new Christmas toy (the AirMap® 600C) and I'd like to download the data (trails) so I can see how well I did with my speed and altitude during my flight.

Does any one have a AirMap® 600C and have done this? Is there a 3rd party program that can do this?

Bill.

Last I heard, Lowrance does not provide for altitude with their trail
data. Please feel free to write Lowrance to tell them that you want 3-
d data! Right now, the best you can get is your path of travel. I
have a 2000C and this is my largest complaint with the product.

Old March 7th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Storing speed is unnecessary. You can calculate speed from position
and time.

I know. To be more specific: I don't know any app that would show speed
on a map together with the trail. It could be a color coding of the
trail, of course.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 7th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Adam Schneider

"deanwil" wrote:
Storing speed is unnecessary. You can calculate speed from position
and time.

I beg to differ. Yes, one CAN calculate speed from position and time,
but it's cumbersome, and the results are rarely as accurate as what
you'd get if the GPS units were to store speed in their track logs. I
don't know if it's because they do some kind of internal "smoothing"
of the data before recording the speed, or what, but it's certainly
been my experience. (How do I know? Because there ARE tracklogs out
there with speed in them; usually they're raw NMEA data that was
streamed to another device, like a laptop - or a log that was at least
derived from such raw data.)

I think we can all agree that it's ridiculous how little information
the Garmins and Magellans store for you; HDOP, satellites, and heading
would be nice to have as well... and then there's that fun thing where
Garmin deletes your altitude -- and half your points -- if you happen
to (god forbid) "save" your track on the GPS unit.

Thomas Borchert wrote:

I know. To be more specific: I don't know any app that would show speed
on a map together with the trail. It could be a color coding of the
trail, of course.

GPS Visualizer can do this. In Google Earth, it can also create
pseudo-waypoints from each trackpoint (GPSBabel can do this as well).
I don't know if you'd count GPS Visualizer as an "app" though.

Adam

http://adamschneider.net/
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Old March 7th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john

On Mar 7, 12:21 am, "Bill Smith" wrote:
I've looked at the manual for the software, and I can't see if the software I have (that came with it) can do this. I went flying in my Cessna with my new Christmas toy (the AirMap® 600C) and I'd like to download the data (trails) so I can see how well I did with my speed and altitude during my flight.

Does any one have a AirMap® 600C and have done this? Is there a 3rd party program that can do this?

Bill.

I purchased my Airmap 600C last fall and have spend a lot of time
playing with it. I contacted Lowrance with the same question that you
asked, and no, it will not do it. It will not track your speed or
altitude - 2 dimension only. Like you, I was greatly dissappointed,
but for $500 what can you expect :-( . If I remember correctly, a
Garmin 296 and it does have this capability,

Old March 8th 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Adam,

I think we can all agree that it's ridiculous how little information
the Garmins and Magellans store for you; HDOP, satellites, and heading
would be nice to have as well...

Not sure about that. I don't know how many people really need it enough to
willing to pay for it in a unit that is already very expensive.

GPS Visualizer can do this.

I somehow knew it in the back of my mind ;-) Are you behind GPS Visualizer?
If so, a big Thank You for a great tool!

I don't know if you'd count GPS Visualizer as an "app" though.

Yeah, I was sloppy ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 8th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Adam Schneider

On Mar 8, 12:22 am, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

I think we can all agree that it's ridiculous how little information
the Garmins and Magellans store for you; HDOP, satellites, and heading
would be nice to have as well...

Not sure about that. I don't know how many people really need it enough to
willing to pay for it in a unit that is already very expensive.

Including the extra info wouldn't cost anything extra; it would be
about five lines of code in the unit's firmware. A cheap handheld
Garmin GPS device already knows all these things (HDOP, etc.), and
they're all supported by the GPX standard, but Garmin have simply
chosen not to include the extra information in the saved track logs.
It's especially inexcusable now that the newer models write real GPX
files to the internal memory card anyway.

GPS Visualizer can do this.

I somehow knew it in the back of my mind ;-) Are you behind GPS Visualizer?
If so, a big Thank You for a great tool!

Yup, that's me. You're welcome.

Adam