Close to solo

Old April 18th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon[_2_]

Default Close to solo

Now have 12.7 hours logged and doing lots of touch and go landings. My
CFI is still working at my cross wind landings before he lets me go
solo. One thing he has me doing on nearly every flight is to bank and
keep the nose going straight and hold altitude too. Said its for cross
wind landings practice. Anyone else doing this?
Jon

Old April 18th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Jon wrote:
Now have 12.7 hours logged and doing lots of touch and go landings. My
CFI is still working at my cross wind landings before he lets me go
solo. One thing he has me doing on nearly every flight is to bank and
keep the nose going straight and hold altitude too. Said its for cross
wind landings practice. Anyone else doing this?
Jon

It's a good exercise. If you can manage all three, you have three
important skills needed for crosswind landing:

1. Landing without sideways drift.
2. Landing with the nose aligned with the runway.
3. Control of the descent.

It's handy to try this fairly low above a long runway as it gives you
a good reference to hold straight.

Old April 18th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On 18 Apr 2007 06:09:32 -0700, Jon wrote:

Said its for cross
wind landings practice. Anyone else doing this?

My instructors never did that, but they should have... it's a great idea.
Crosswind landings require some very unnatural control inputs and getting
you used to them with some exercises before trying a real crosswind landing
shows you have a good instructor.

--
Dallas
Old April 18th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

Good practice.

My instructor once landed in a stiff crosswind and ran down the runway
with just the left wheel on the ground for maybe 10 sec before going
around, just to show what was possible. I've never been that good at
it, but I think the method is one of the best.

Old April 18th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 18, 6:09 am, Jon wrote:
Now have 12.7 hours logged and doing lots of touch and go landings. My
CFI is still working at my cross wind landings before he lets me go
solo. One thing he has me doing on nearly every flight is to bank and
keep the nose going straight and hold altitude too. Said its for cross
wind landings practice. Anyone else doing this?
Jon

Makes it hard when you can't find cross winds. What you really need is
20 knots across the runway and grab your CFI.

-Robert, CFII

Old April 18th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven Barnes

I had one CFI do this for me during my Private training. Something to keep
in mind is you'll need less rudder input doing this maneuver than a power
off flare, due to the prop wash helping the rudder authority.
Still, good practice.

"Dallas" wrote in message
On 18 Apr 2007 06:09:32 -0700, Jon wrote:

Said its for cross
wind landings practice. Anyone else doing this?

My instructors never did that, but they should have... it's a great idea.
Crosswind landings require some very unnatural control inputs and getting
you used to them with some exercises before trying a real crosswind

landing
shows you have a good instructor.

--
Dallas

This seems real close! CD[_3_] Aviation Photos 5 March 19th 07 11:42 PM
It was really close... Jay Honeck Piloting 166 May 22nd 05 01:30 PM
How close would Hawaii have to be... Ben Jackson Piloting 23 December 16th 04 07:46 AM
Too close... Rod Tomlinson Piloting 2 August 16th 04 06:06 PM
Comming close Tony Owning 17 May 18th 04 06:22 AM