Spin

Old May 5th 04, 06:25 AM
Toks Desalu

Default Spin

(I wished that I didn't see that show)
I was flipping through channels the other day and I came across a show
called, Real TV. They did a story about a plane crash. They showed this
because one of passengers survived. He or she parachuted out of a spinning
aircraft. The amateur video showed the family having a barbeque at the
airport. All of sudden, the video looked into air and the plane appeared to
be in an erect spin (a six-seated Piper). The video caught the plane doing
at least 5 spins before disappearing behind the building. At one point, the
video caught a glimpse of person jumping and pulling a chute out. I didn't
pay attention to that detail. What bother me the most is the pilot inability
to recover from that spin. During training, I was told that erect and
inverted spin are recoverable. And in event of those spins, I was told that
with proper action, you can break clear in two spins with few hundred feet
to bring plane to level. I have been in an inverted spin demonstrated by an
instructor during training. I do not remember much of detail because I was
caught off-guard with the weightless moment. Now, the show prompted me to
consider taking some sort of spinning and recovering training. Am I being
overacting or paranoid?

Toks Desalu
And I wonder why they FAA removed spin training as requirement in early
years? I know the planes today are 'difficult' to get into spin but, it can
happen.

Old May 5th 04, 07:13 AM
Ditch

The airplane was a Cessna C-210 being used as a skydiving airplane. If you
listen to the audio, you can hear the engine running at a high power setting.
You are more than likely not going to recover from a spin with a high power
setting.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old May 5th 04, 08:08 AM
Elwood Dowd

Criminey, are snuff films legal for TV now?

Old May 5th 04, 10:48 AM
Cub Driver

Now, the show prompted me to
consider taking some sort of spinning and recovering training.

Like you, I had a spin demonstrated to me early in training (against
airport rules, by the way) and longed to have more experience. So late
one winter I flew out to Phoenix for five days of spin training and
aerobatics. (I had other objectives. Three days would be plenty.) I
wrote a story about it which is at www.pipercubforum.com/chandler.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old May 5th 04, 12:57 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Get the spin training!
The FAA screwed the pooch on that one when they eliminated it from the
syllabus... Having competence in recovering from a spin makes you a better
pilot and almost guarantees that you will never unintentionally enter a
spin...
Besides which, after spin training you will wear a crushed officers cap, sun
glasses even at night, a worn leather jacket, a big watch, and be
irresistible to beautiful women who will throw themselves at you... What
are you waiting for? jeeezzzz

denny

"Toks Desalu" Now, the show prompted me to

Old May 5th 04, 01:06 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Regardless of the power setting, you are not going to recover from a spin
with 5 jumpers spin plastered against the back bulkhead, putting the CG well
aft of 30% of the wing chord...
denny

Old May 5th 04, 01:12 PM
CV

Ditch wrote:
The airplane was a Cessna C-210 being used as a skydiving airplane. If you
listen to the audio, you can hear the engine running at a high power setting.
You are more than likely not going to recover from a spin with a high power
setting.

Well, what is to stop you cutting the power ? Or do you mean a spin entered
under power will be unrecoverable even if the power is cut ?

I have vague memory about some kind of spin mode in an aerobatic plane,
that was only recoverable by applying full power. Ring a bell, anyone ?

CV

Old May 5th 04, 01:20 PM
EDR

In article , CV
wrote:

Well, what is to stop you cutting the power ? Or do you mean a spin entered
under power will be unrecoverable even if the power is cut ?
I have vague memory about some kind of spin mode in an aerobatic plane,
that was only recoverable by applying full power. Ring a bell, anyone ?

Power applied during a spin, in general, will flatten the spin (raise
the nose). Centrigal (sic) force will throw objects (human bodies)
outward from the CG (as Denny's post pointed out). The object is to get
the nose down and move the weight forward withing the CG envelope.
Old May 5th 04, 02:52 PM
tony

Regardless of the power setting, you are not going to recover from a spin
with 5 jumpers spin plastered against the back bulkhead, putting the CG well
aft of 30% of the wing chord...
denny

Never having jumped out of a perfectly good airplane, nor having had people
bail out of my M20J, I'm ignorant re carrying jumpers. Do they belt themselves
in place during take off and climb?

Is it likely they were all well aft, or fell back as the pilot slowed down for
their jump, or did he lose it on climbout?

Old May 5th 04, 02:57 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Toks Desalu wrote:

And I wonder why they FAA removed spin training as requirement in early
years?

They removed it because many people were dying during spin recovery training. They
decided to teach people to avoid stalls and recover promptly from inadvertent stalls,
because an aircraft will not spin unless it stalls first. The FAA feels that the
reduced fatality rate proves they made the correct decision.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.

Spin Training Captain Wubba Piloting 25 April 12th 04 02:11 PM
Cessna 150 Price Outlook Charles Talleyrand Owning 80 October 16th 03 02:18 PM
Accelerated spin questions John Harper Aerobatics 7 August 15th 03 07:08 PM