Late BFR

Old March 24th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Anonymous coward #673

Default Late BFR

I fly through an organization that requires a proficiency check ride
every six months. As a result I somehow got it into my head that I
didn't need to worry about BFR's any more. But today my instructor
reminded me that a BFR requires an hour of ground instruction, so
technically I have not completed a BFR for (as it turns out) more than
two years (though I have received considerably more recurrent in-flight
training than the regs require). My log book now contains entries for
numerous flights conducted (inadvertently) in violation of FAR61.56.

My question to the group: what is the best way to handle this situation?
Obviously I am going to get my hour of ground instruction ASAP, but what
about all those flights that I've already logged? Should I file an ASRS
form? Call up the local FSDO and confess? Scribble out all those log
entries? Deduct the hours on those illegal flights from my PIC time?
Bribe my flight instructor to back-date my BFR? Or should I just not
worry about it and hope they don't haul my ass to Gitmo for falsifying
my log book?
Old March 24th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Anonymous coward #673" wrote in message
Scribble out all those log entries?

Buy a new log book and start it with the BFR. Put the old one in a safe
place.

Old March 24th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Getting the ground instruction is only part of it...you needed specific
endorsements each time a BFR came due. Right now, you can't act as PIC until
you get the full treatment, ground plus air plus endorsement.

As far as the past is concerned, it is past (duh). Forget about it.

Bob Gardner

Old March 24th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Dunno what to do about the past, but for the future, consider doing the
Wings program. It may be that the flights you already take would count,
and all you need for ground is to attend one of the safety seminars.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old March 24th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

The logbook is your personal document. It becomes a legal document
only when you submit it for inspection by the FAA for a checkride or
ramp check. Even in that case, only the experience necessary for the
check would be relevant. The legality of your prior flight would
rarely come into question unless there was an insurance claim, and in
that case it would be an insurance matter rather than a FAA matter. If
these were personal flights, don't worry about it. Get a flight review
now, and move on.

Calling a FSDO is proably a bad idea. It's like calling the police and
confessing that you have exceeded the speed limit in the past.
However, filing an ASRS can't hurt.

Old March 24th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Jose wrote:

Dunno what to do about the past, but for the future, consider doing the
Wings program. It may be that the flights you already take would count,
and all you need for ground is to attend one of the safety seminars.

although I prefer the safety seminars (opportunities to meet interesting
folks), you can also do some of the online courses offered by AOPA
instead. I haven't done a BFR since the one I did after validating my
foreign license 10 years ago (via a combination of Wings program and
getting new ratings)...

--Sylvain
Old March 25th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
601XL Builder

Steve Foley wrote:
"Anonymous coward #673" wrote in message
Scribble out all those log entries?

Buy a new log book and start it with the BFR. Put the old one in a safe
place.

It couldn't hurt to complete a NASA for could it? Would the protections
apply in a case like this?
Old March 25th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Get a BFR ASAP and make sure it is logged. Beyond that,
just be thankful that no mishap ocurred thus far that
would have resulted in your logbook being scrutinized.

Old March 25th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Anonymous coward #673 wrote:
[...]

You might also want to check to see if the safety meetings count as part
of the hour of ground instructions. You may only be missing the sign
offs not the work itself.
Old March 25th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-03-24 14:57:01 -0700, Anonymous coward #673 said:
My log book now contains entries for
numerous flights conducted (inadvertently) in violation of FAR61.56.

My question to the group: what is the best way to handle this situation?

There is no requirement to keep a logbook except to show currency. Get
a new logbook, move the total hours into it, and forget about it.

Get your BFR signed off in the new logbook and log enough takeoffs and
landings to show currency. No one will have any reason to look in your
old logbook. Once you get the BFR, I doubt if even the FAA would care.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Too late to be a pilot? Fuzz Piloting 12 May 12th 04 02:30 AM
Sun N Fun Pix -- Better Late than Never! Jay Honeck Piloting 40 May 11th 04 12:52 PM
OSH 2003 Pix -- better late than never? Jay Honeck Home Built 11 September 13th 03 10:22 PM
OSH 2003 Pix -- better late than never? Jay Honeck Owning 11 September 13th 03 10:22 PM
OSH 2003 Pix -- better late than never? Jay Honeck Piloting 11 September 13th 03 10:22 PM