Turn co-ordinator

Old November 2nd 05, 01:43 AM
Bill Zaleski

Default Turn co-ordinator

I never said that you will get "green line "vacuum. I did say that
the gyro's will continue to work with the vacuum that you will have
with a windmilling engine. Go to 10K, windmill, and see that you still
have useable gyro's. Been there, done that, they still work.

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:48:38 GMT, Jon Kraus
wrote:

You think wrong Bill. At least on my Mooney at idle doesn't come close
to the vacuum gauge reading in the green. This is with a new dry pump
too. I still doubt that a windmilling engine will keep the gyros spooled
up enough to run the AI and DG. Just my .02. YMMV

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Bill Zaleski wrote:

You think wrong, Jon. Even at idle, most vacuum pumps produce enough
differential to keep rotors spinning satisfactorily.

Old November 2nd 05, 03:46 PM
Mark Hansen

On 11/1/2005 17:43, Bill Zaleski wrote:

I never said that you will get "green line "vacuum. I did say that
the gyro's will continue to work with the vacuum that you will have
with a windmilling engine. Go to 10K, windmill, and see that you still
have useable gyro's. Been there, done that, they still work.

How long did you windmill? After all, the gyros are going to
continue to spin for some time with no vacuum. The slower they go,
the more difficulty they're going to have.

Did you go for more than 5 or 10 minutes and verify that they were
still working acceptably?

Bill Zaleski wrote:

You think wrong, Jon. Even at idle, most vacuum pumps produce enough
differential to keep rotors spinning satisfactorily.

Sacramento, CA
Old November 2nd 05, 04:28 PM
Bill Zaleski

Yup. Right to the ground from 10K' bout 800FPM

Bill Z. A&P I.A.

Old November 2nd 05, 04:33 PM
John R. Copeland

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message ...
On 11/1/2005 17:43, Bill Zaleski wrote:

I never said that you will get "green line "vacuum. I did say that
the gyro's will continue to work with the vacuum that you will have
with a windmilling engine. Go to 10K, windmill, and see that you still
have useable gyro's. Been there, done that, they still work.

How long did you windmill? After all, the gyros are going to
continue to spin for some time with no vacuum. The slower they go,
the more difficulty they're going to have.

Did you go for more than 5 or 10 minutes and verify that they were
still working acceptably?

My gyros spin up from stopped to a usable state while my engines idle after startup.
Don't yours?

Old November 2nd 05, 04:48 PM
Mark Hansen

On 11/2/2005 08:33, John R. Copeland wrote:

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message ...
On 11/1/2005 17:43, Bill Zaleski wrote:

I never said that you will get "green line "vacuum. I did say that
the gyro's will continue to work with the vacuum that you will have
with a windmilling engine. Go to 10K, windmill, and see that you still
have useable gyro's. Been there, done that, they still work.

How long did you windmill? After all, the gyros are going to
continue to spin for some time with no vacuum. The slower they go,
the more difficulty they're going to have.

Did you go for more than 5 or 10 minutes and verify that they were
still working acceptably?

My gyros spin up from stopped to a usable state while my engines idle after startup.
Don't yours?

What is usable? The AI usually doesn't straighten-up 100% until after
I do my static run-up.

However, the real sign is the vacuum gage. It reads below the green while
idling. Now, the gyros are still spinning even while the vacuum is not
in the green - but I wouldn't want to bet my life on them while in IMC
conditions ... I may have to, but I wouldn't assume they are working 100%
while the vacuum is below the green.

Sacramento, CA
Old November 2nd 05, 05:02 PM
John R. Copeland

[...]

Roger that.
Do you have any possibility of changing to a higher-capacity vacuum pump?
(I assume your instrument filters aren't clogged, of course.)
I show 5 inches Hg of vacuum at engine idle in my airplane.

Old November 2nd 05, 06:03 PM
Mark Hansen

On 11/2/2005 09:02, John R. Copeland wrote:

[...]

Naw, Rental. C-172M

Sacramento, CA
Old November 2nd 05, 10:18 PM
Ron Natalie

John R. Copeland wrote:

My gyros spin up from stopped to a usable state while my engines idle after startup.
Don't yours?

You would hope so, because otherwise you're going to be in deep doodoo
climbing up into the soup shortly after takeoff.
Old November 2nd 05, 10:19 PM
Ron Natalie

Mark Hansen wrote:

What is usable? The AI usually doesn't straighten-up 100% until after
I do my static run-up.

Probably not the run-up but the elapsed time. It takes on the order of
ten minutes for the gyros to stableize.

However, the real sign is the vacuum gage. It reads below the green while
idling.

Fix your pump.
Old November 2nd 05, 10:41 PM
Newps

Mark Hansen wrote:

What is usable? The AI usually doesn't straighten-up 100% until after
I do my static run-up.

Then you got a bad gyro. My AI shakes like a son of a bitch for about
10 seconds and then settles down in the upright position. Idles speed
about 900. Vacuum gauge will be bottom of the green at 1000 rpm.