Which post-WW2 combat aircraft have not been used in combat?

Old October 16th 03, 05:59 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
(Kirk Stant) wrote:

Just for fun, off the top of your heads, which post-WW2 combat
aircraft (any country) have NOT been used in their intended roles in
an actual shooting war (or police action, or soccer riot, or whatever
it's called these days)?

And why?

Some ROE:

1. Combat aircraft means it was designed or modified to employ
air-to-air or air-to-ground/ship/boat weapons.

2. Combat means someone was activily shooting back (or really wanted
to) while the aircraft was performing it's mission.

3. Let's leave out recce, that just gets too complicated!

To start things off, here are my USAF candidates:

B-36 - Held back from Korea for Nuke mission.
B-47 - Too early for Korea, too late for Vietnam (remember, no recce).
F-84F - Too early for Korea (ef considered a separate aircraft from
straight-wing F-84s), too late for Vietnam. Combat use by other
countries?
F-89 - Too late for Korea (?), not needed (no bomber threat).
F-106 - Not needed in Vietnam - F-102s deployed instead.
F-101 (Yeah, I know about the RF-101 in Cuba and Vietnam). Don't know
why F-101Cs weren't used early in Vietnam. Being phased out by then?

Could be wrong, but here goes:

B-36, B-47, F-84F, F-89, F-106, F-101, F-86D, F-94C, Saab Draken, Saab
29, F-4D Skyray, F7U Cutlass, F9F (swept-wing) Cougar, Gloster
Javelin, Avro Vulcan, Handley Page Victor, Supermarine Scimitar, Fiat

Vulcans performed bombing missions in the Falklands and Victors
operated as tankers then and in Gulf War 1

G.91, English Electric Lightning, Dassault Mirage IV, Saab Viggen,
Sukhoi Su-15, Shin Meiwa, Alpha Jet, Folland Gnat, BAe Hawk, Fuji
T1F2, Supermarine Swift, Tupolov Tu-22, Tupulov Tu-26, B-58 Hustler,
Tupolov Tu-16, North American B-45, Hawker Firebrand, Tupolov Tu-20,
Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer, Hawker Sea Vixen, deHavilland Venom,

Buccaneers were operational in the Gulf War and I believe Venoms did
ground attack in Malaya and Sea Venoms operated in Korea

McDonnell F2H-4 Banshee, North American FJ-4B Fury, deHavilland
Vampire, Yakolev Yak-25A, Dassault Ouragen, McDonnell FH-1

Vampires saw service in Korea I think

Phantom, Hawker Sea Fury, Grumman F7F Tigercat, McDonnell
F3H Demon, Supermarine Attacker...

Sea Furies were used off RN carriers in Korea I think.

The Indians have used the attacker against Pakistan I believe

Everything else got lots of chances to do their thing.

At first glance, looks like the US taxpayer is getting a pretty good
deal for his money!

Kirk
(tired of all the non-mil av bull**** on this group)

Same.

Old October 16th 03, 06:42 PM
Pierre-Henri Baras

"Alex A" a écrit dans le message de news:

Sukhoi Su-15

1983, KAL 007 airliner

Tupolov Tu-22

Heh, a Libyan Backfire tried to attack a french airfield in Libya in 1986.
First attack put one bomb on the runway, second attack put 2 Crotale SAM
into the Backfire...

Pierre-Henri BARAS

Co-webmaster de French Fleet Air Arm
http://www.ffaa.net
Encyclopédie de l'Aviation sur le web
http://www.aviation-fr.info

Old October 16th 03, 06:46 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Mike Marron
writes
Could be wrong, but here goes:

F-101,

Did recce over Vietnam, didn't it?

Gloster
Javelin,

Indonesian Confrontation, 1960s

Avro Vulcan,

Black Buck raids, Falklands

Handley Page Victor

Tanking in the Falklands and IIRC the Gulf, plus some "small war"
bombing IIRC.

Fiat
G.91,

English Electric Lightning,

Folland Gnat,

Used in combat by the Indians.

BAe Hawk,

Used by several buyers for COIN against terrorists / ruthless repression
of noble dissidents.

Tupolov Tu-22

Libyan bombing raids vs. Chad, IIRC.

Tupolov Tu-16,

Egyptian raids vs. Israel, and I think Iranian Badgers saw some combat
in the Iran-Iraq war.

Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer

South Africans used them in Namibia, and they also flew combat in Gulf
War '91.

Dassault Ouragen

Used by the Israelis in 1967.

Hawker Sea Fury

Korea.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old October 16th 03, 06:53 PM
Matt Wiser

Mike Marron wrote:
(Kirk Stant) wrote:

[...]

A Correction: Tu-16 Badgers have seen combat-by the Iraqis in 1967 against
the Israelis and in 1980-88 against Iran; Soviet Badgers were in Afghanistan.
Libyan Tu-22s have seen combat in Chad, Sudan, and Tanzania. Soviet Tu-22M
(Tu-26) Backfires were used in Afghanistan in 1987-88, and in the first Chechen
campaign. Buccaneers in S.African service saw combat in Angola, Sea Furies
in Korea, Suez, and by the Cubans against the Bay of Pigs force; F7Fs saw
action in Korea, while French F-84Fs were also in Suez.Vulcans flew the Black
Buck missions in the Falklands War, with Victors as Tankers there and in
Desert Storm.
RB-45s flew in Korea.

Old October 16th 03, 07:07 PM
Kevin Brooks

(Kirk Stant) wrote in message . com...
[...]

There was only one wing of them (81st TFW at Ben****ers), tasked with
deep penetration (read "nuclear") missions in support of SACEUR; I'd
imagine that the powers-that-was decided that we still needed to keep
a credible force facing the Sovs while other forces were sent to
Vietnam.

Everything else got lots of chances to do their thing.

At first glance, looks like the US taxpayer is getting a pretty good
deal for his money!

Kirk
(tired of all the non-mil av bull**** on this group)

The Avro CF-101--closest it came to combat use was when the Belgians,
who operated the type for some six years, sent four of them to the
then Belgian Congo where they performed at an airshow and did the
"show the flag" bit.

Grumman F-11F Tiger

McD-D F3H Demon--unless you count its deployement to the Quemoy/Matsu
area during 1958--but I don't know of any actual combat.

All of the Saab fighters (J35 and J37, along with the J39 to date),
minus the J29, which did see some use in Africa under UN auspices.

Douglas F4D Skyray

Gloster Javelin

De Haviland Sea Vixen (?)--Unless it saw some kind of use during the
UK's involvement in SEA operations?

Vought F7U Cutlass

North American FJ1 through 4 Fury--Deployed to support the Lebanon
Crisis in 58 (FJ3), never saw combat.

The Japanese F-1

ROC Ching Kuo

I think you will find that there are a few Soviet types that have
never seen active combat (even the Su-15 only ever "fought" a couple
of airliners...).

Brooks
Old October 16th 03, 07:09 PM
Guy Alcala

Kirk Stant wrote:

Just for fun, off the top of your heads, which post-WW2 combat
aircraft (any country) have NOT been used in their intended roles in
an actual shooting war (or police action, or soccer riot, or whatever
it's called these days)?

And why?

Some ROE:

1. Combat aircraft means it was designed or modified to employ
air-to-air or air-to-ground/ship/boat weapons.

2. Combat means someone was activily shooting back (or really wanted
to) while the aircraft was performing it's mission.

3. Let's leave out recce, that just gets too complicated!

To start things off, here are my USAF candidates:

snip

F-84F - Too early for Korea (ef considered a separate aircraft from
straight-wing F-84s), too late for Vietnam. Combat use by other
countries?

France during Suez.

snip

F-101 (Yeah, I know about the RF-101 in Cuba and Vietnam). Don't know
why F-101Cs weren't used early in Vietnam. Being phased out by then?

They were still at Ben****ers sitting Victor alert. 27 F-101As and 34
F-101Cs were converted to RF-101G/Hs respectively, beginning sometime in
the 1966-67 timeframe, and were assigned to ANG squadrons. Conversions
were still incomplete at the time of the Pueblo incident. some of the
squadrons were deployed to Itazuke and forward deployed to Osan about six
months later, lasting until April 1969.

Guy

Old October 16th 03, 07:11 PM
Ian Craig

The Buc was used in Gulf War I
"Alex A" wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

B-36, B-47, F-84F, F-89, F-106, F-101, F-86D, F-94C, Saab Draken, Saab

I have read that F106 was used in used in Vietnam for few monthes but not
with the
expected results (1 shot down)

I'm afraid you're confusing the F-106 with its delta-wing F-102
predecessor. A quick visual to differentiate between the two
is the clipped vertical fin on the Six and the air-intakes are also
behind the canopy (not to mention the Six blows the Duece away
in terms of takeoff/climbout performance when watching from the
ground). But the -102 was in 'Nam and the -106 wasn't.

29, F-4D Skyray, F7U Cutlass, F9F (swept-wing) Cougar, Gloster
Javelin, Avro Vulcan, Handley Page Victor, Supermarine Scimitar, Fiat
G.91, English Electric Lightning,

I think Vulcan was used for Malouines Airfield bombing... scimitar by

indian
in Pakistan/India war (not sure, sea vixen?)

OK?

Dassault Mirage IV, Saab Viggen,
Sukhoi Su-15, Shin Meiwa, Alpha Jet, Folland Gnat,

Gnat was used by India in India vs Pakistan ?

?

BAe Hawk, Fuji T1F2, Supermarine Swift, Tupolov Tu-22, Tupulov Tu-26,
B-58 Hustler,
Tupolov Tu-16, North American B-45, Hawker Firebrand, Tupolov Tu-20,
Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer, Hawker Sea Vixen, deHavilland Venom,
McDonnell F2H-4 Banshee, North American FJ-4B Fury, deHavilland
Vampire, Yakolev Yak-25A,

Dassault Ouragen, by IAF

OK.

McDonnell FH-1 Phantom, Hawker Sea Fury, Grumman F7F Tigercat, McDonnell
F3H Demon, Supermarine Attacker...

A+

Heh.

Old October 16th 03, 07:36 PM
Guy Alcala

Mike Marron wrote:

(Kirk Stant) wrote:

snip

Some ROE:

1. Combat aircraft means it was designed or modified to employ
air-to-air or air-to-ground/ship/boat weapons.

2. Combat means someone was activily shooting back (or really wanted
to) while the aircraft was performing it's mission.

3. Let's leave out recce, that just gets too complicated!

To start things off, here are my USAF candidates:

snip

Could be wrong, but here goes:

B-36, B-47, F-84F, F-89, F-106, F-101, F-86D, F-94C, Saab Draken, Saab
29, F-4D Skyray, F7U Cutlass, F9F (swept-wing) Cougar,

TF-9s used as armed FastFACs by the Marines in Vietnam. Tunnan used in the
Belgian Congo, as already mentioned by someone.

Avro Vulcan,

Falklands.

English Electric Lightning,

Possibly used by Saudi Arabia and/or Kuwait for ground attack? Unlikely.

Alpha Jet,

Not sure on this.

Folland Gnat,

India, in both 1965 and 1971.

BAe Hawk,

COIN.

Tupolov Tu-22,

Usd by both Iraq and Libya according to Bill Gunston (circa. 1979), the
former against the Kurds, the latter against Tanzania in support of Uganda.

Tupulov Tu-26, B-58 Hustler,
Tupolov Tu-16,

An Irawi Tu-16 bombed Netanya, israel during the Six-day war; it was shot
down (shared by a Mirage and AAA). Also used by Egypt to fire Kelt ARMs
against Israel in 1973.

snip

Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer,

Namibia by RSA, DS by RAF.

McDonnell F2H-4 Banshee,

Banshees were used in Korea by the USN, but I can't remember if the -4 was.

Dassault Ouragen,

Israel (56, 67 and WoA) and India (1965 for sure).

Hawker Sea Fury,

FAA in Korea.

Supermarine Attacker...

Don't think Pakistan used it in combat, but won't swear to it.

Guy

Old October 16th 03, 07:40 PM
Guy Alcala

(Kirk Stant) wrote:

[...]

Gloster Javelin,

Javelins were in a semi-shootin' war with Indonesia I believe. As was the
Sea Vixen. Both were intecepting aircraft but not shooting them down
(although I believe the Javelins managed to get an Indonesian C130 to fly
into the ground)

Avro Vulcan,

Falkland Islands not ring a bell?

Handley Page Victor

Dropped bombs in Indonesia conflict (I think) again.

Don't think so. Valiants dropped bombs in various places (Suez for sure), but
I dont think Victors ever did for real, although they did deploy.

Guy

Old October 16th 03, 07:45 PM
Guy Alcala

Keith Willshaw wrote:

"Mike Marron" wrote in message

snip

Buccaneers were operational in the Gulf War and I believe Venoms did
ground attack in Malaya and Sea Venoms operated in Korea

No Sea venoms that I'm aware of. Only the Colossus-class light fleets were
deployed to Korea, and they had air groups of Seafires or Sea Furies and
Fireflies.

McDonnell F2H-4 Banshee, North American FJ-4B Fury, deHavilland
Vampire, Yakolev Yak-25A, Dassault Ouragen, McDonnell FH-1

Vampires saw service in Korea I think

Meteor.

Phantom, Hawker Sea Fury, Grumman F7F Tigercat, McDonnell
F3H Demon, Supermarine Attacker...

Sea Furies were used off RN carriers in Korea I think.

Yes, see above.

The Indians have used the attacker against Pakistan I believe

If it happened it was the other way around.

Guy