Pilot error, fog

Old April 14th 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxyzptlk

Default Not Aviation

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:26:13 -0700 (PDT), a wrote:

--
Viva la mort! Viva la guerre! Viva la sacre, Mercenaire!
Live To Spend It ! http://preview.xrl.in/4z9q
Old April 14th 10, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Pilot error, fog

I understand it was a military airfield and that the only
approach aid was radar. I forget the term - Precision
Approach Radar (PAR)? This is normal in some militaries
and works very well. The operator has two screens one for
azimuth and the other for slope. He "talks" the pilot
along the glideslope to minimums. I have no idea what
typical minimums might be.

Gosh, I didn't think my IFR training was THAT long ago....I remember
studying and (I think) actually doing at least one PAR (Precision
Approach Radar) during my IFR instruction. This was early 90s and I
remember it well because somebody (instructor, perhaps) asked me at
one point "What are the only two precision approaches available for
IFR?" I could only answer "ILS," but then I was introduced to PAR. I
am sure we did one, too, which I think caught the tower off guard
because nobody ever did a PAR. There's talk here about a trailer or
something at the runway's end but I believe tower provided the
guidance for that one PAR I did.

Ricky
Old April 15th 10, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
VOR-DME[_3_]

I think we’re at the point where we pretty much interchange the
terms,PAR and GCA, sort of like NDB and ADF. There is a correct way to
formulate it, but everyone knows what you’re talking about. I believe
the correct formulation today is that the GCA controller uses his
Precision Approach Radar for the approach pilots call PAR. You’ll
generally only find it at military facilities allowing civilian use.

If you want to see their eyes light up on the "Precision Approach"
question, you can also mention the ubiquitous Microwave Landing System!

Old April 16th 10, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Ricky wrote:

..I remember
studying and (I think) actually doing at least one PAR (Precision
Approach Radar) during my IFR instruction. T
Ricky

Yeah, I did them also. I understood that the controllers needed to
practice these approaches as well. So we would ask the controller if he
had time for it. They were fun and not very difficult.
Old April 20th 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
George Dance

Default Pilot error, fogz

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:26:13 -0700 (PDT), a wrote:

On Apr 13, 5:36*pm, Andy Hawkins wrote:
Hi,

Bye.