Ultra light Glider regulations

Old May 20th 04, 10:39 AM
Denis G

Default Ultra light Glider regulations

Hi !

The european regulation precise that "gliders with a structural mass
of less than 80 kg when single seater or 100 kg when two seater,
including those which are foot launched" shall stay under national
responsibility, so to say, out of EASA.

Could someone tell me what are Regulations for ultra light gliders in
differents country, as Germany, US, Canada, Spain, Italy, etc, please.

Thank you for your help

Regards

Denis
Old May 20th 04, 12:14 PM
Pat Russell

Also, this question:

Is "structural mass" the same as "empty weight?"

-
Pat
Old May 21st 04, 01:46 AM
BTIZ

As far as I know... there is no "Ultralight Glider" category in the US.

FAR 103 does refer to "Unpowered Ultralight" which could be a variety of
different designs from nylon and aluminum to a carbon fiber "Sparrowhawk"

Operating under FAR103 has it's own requirements, (1) does not have any US
or foreign airworthiness certificate (2) unpowered does not weight more than
155 US pounds. If so operated it, the pilot does not require a US pilots
certificate.

I understand the US Sparrowhawk can be registered and operated under FAR 61
and 91 as an Experimental GLIDER, at which time it will receive a US
airworthiness certificate and the pilot and operations are in accordance
with standard "glider" operations.

BT

om...

Old May 24th 04, 03:05 PM
Denis G

Thank you for your answers.

However, could i have more precisions about UK, Germany, Belgium, etc, please

Denis
Old May 24th 04, 06:19 PM
Tony Burton

There is no ultralight glider category in Canada. By definition, a
Canadian ultralight is an "aircraft", and "aircraft" by definition has an
engine,hence it would be possible to have an ultralight motorglider.

--
Tony Burton

NTSB: USAF included? Larry Dighera Piloting 10 September 11th 05 10:33 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
The light bulb Greasy Rider Military Aviation 6 March 2nd 04 12:07 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM