Altitude Call Out is COOL

Old December 26th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Altitude Call Out is COOL

With the aerodynamics of a
2 by 4, I come in a wee bit higher than some expect (Cherokee 140 -
nuff' said). I finally see "red over white" on short final.

Is that because you're doing power-off landings? I fly a Warrior, which I
assume has simular aerodynamics, and have no problem holding the
glideslope. With power in, you'd be able to control the descent rate, no?

That's the way I do it, too (and I think most Cherokee pilots carry a
bit of power to land smoothly) -- but a lot of guys like to do
power-off landings, just to prepare themselves for the eventuality of a
failed engine in the pattern.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 27th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Alan Gerber wrote:
Mike Spera wrote:

With the aerodynamics of a
2 by 4, I come in a wee bit higher than some expect (Cherokee 140 -
nuff' said). I finally see "red over white" on short final.

Is that because you're doing power-off landings? I fly a Warrior, which I
assume has simular aerodynamics, and have no problem holding the
glideslope. With power in, you'd be able to control the descent rate, no?

... Alan

No, No, No, my friend. The tapered wing is WAY different than a constant
chord wing. Power is at around 17500 rpm and it sinks like a rock. Go
for a ride in a 140 and you will be enlightened (or scared to death).

Yes, you can control the descent rate right at 500fpm. But, you do so at
a MUCH greater angle to the ground than your Warrior. First time I flew
a tapered wing I could not believe how flat you had to come in to avoid
floating right past the airport. If you tried that with the 140, your
CFI would immediately pull the power back and announce "Engine Out" and
laugh while you quickly figured out you would NEVER make the runway.

Try it out.
Mike

MVAs in AZ Dan Instrument Flight Rules 36 September 16th 06 02:19 AM
Naval Aviators jsmith Piloting 1 March 25th 04 03:56 PM
GPS Altitude with WAAS Phil Verghese Instrument Flight Rules 42 October 5th 03 12:39 AM
gps altitude accuracy Martin Gregorie Soaring 12 July 18th 03 08:51 PM