Moving the Annual Up

Old January 31st 05, 11:15 PM
Bob Noel

In article 82qLd.10770$C24.2574@attbi_s52,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Not all IA's have a shop. The first five annuals on my plane were done
right
on my tie-down

Wow, that really amazes me.

Even on a relatively simple Spam Can, annualing an aircraft involves
removing (and saving) a zillion little screws and connecters. Even indoors
I inevitably kick over a container full of screws, or lose a couple -- I
just can't imagine fighting the wind and the elements at the same time.

September is a beautiful time to be outside - even if it's just working
on the airplane. otoh - now that my annuals are inside a heated hangar
(feb/mar) I can fly on those beautiful fall days. Maybe I'm sick, but working
on the plane is almost as much fun as flying it.

Where did you put all the stuff you removed?

In my SUV or in the IA's pickup. At the end of the day, large items are
put back on the airplane.

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old January 31st 05, 11:54 PM
jsmith

Try using zip-lock sandwich/snack bags, two-inch masking tape and a
sharpie marker. Remove the screws from a component, put them in a
baggie, tape the baggie next to the component location, write what and
where the screws go (make a drawing if necessary).

Jay Honeck wrote:
Not all IA's have a shop. The first five annuals on my plane were done
right
on my tie-down

Wow, that really amazes me.

Even on a relatively simple Spam Can, annualing an aircraft involves
removing (and saving) a zillion little screws and connecters. Even indoors
I inevitably kick over a container full of screws, or lose a couple -- I
just can't imagine fighting the wind and the elements at the same time.

Where did you put all the stuff you removed? In my case, I've got
clamshell halves of my wheelpants that would make a great kite in the wind,
interior panels, seats, etc. A good gust, and I'd be chasing them across
the airport.

Old February 1st 05, 02:31 AM
Jay Honeck

Well, and then cut my wings up with his Dremel tool for the landing light
installation. Man, I just cringe at the thought!

Then why are you doing it?

Because I want to be able to see the taxiways at night, and I want more than
one landing light.

And, with our tip tanks, I can't utilize the wing-tip landing lights, so
we're stuck with the in-wing ones.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 1st 05, 05:21 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Jay Honeck wrote:
: For several years now I've taken advantage of the rule that allows you to do
: your annual on a 13-month (rather than 12 month) basis, by simply finishing
: the annual on the 1st of the following month each time.

: Now it seems this procedure has come back to haunt me, as my annual this
: year is scheduled for JUNE -- smack in the midst of prime flying time.

Hi Jay! I also "moved up" my annual, but now it's in July and can't be moved
up if I go to Oshkosh. Unless I do it *at* Oshkosh...
--
Aaron C.
Old February 20th 05, 09:28 PM
No Spam

Jay Honeck wrote:
For several years now I've taken advantage of the rule that allows you to do
your annual on a 13-month (rather than 12 month) basis, by simply finishing
the annual on the 1st of the following month each time.

Now it seems this procedure has come back to haunt me, as my annual this
year is scheduled for JUNE -- smack in the midst of prime flying time.

Thus, since I'm faced with ripping out the interior and opening up the wings
to install the Skycraft landing lights (the kind that are cut into the
leading edge of the wing) anyway, I've decided to have my A&P do the annual
at the same time, while the weather sucks.

Anyone else done this? I feel like I'm ripping myself off, somehow, but I
don't want the plane to be down in the summer, either...

I've done that, too, but I intend to stop when it hits early Spring.
That way, I've got an airplane ready to go for the main flying part of
the year.

- Don
Old February 21st 05, 12:34 AM
Jay Honeck

I've done that, too, but I intend to stop when it hits early Spring. That
way, I've got an airplane ready to go for the main flying part of the
year.

Yep, I'm going to aim for February every year now. It seems to be the
perfect time to be "planeless in Iowa"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA