Paint

Old January 6th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Paint

In article .com,
"Michael" wrote:

"Steve" wrote:

I have a couple sections on my Cessna that I would like to repaint. Could
anyone recommend a book or guide for doing this? Specifically I'm looking
for what help on whay type of stripper and paint to use, primer
requirements, ...

Are you touching up in small spots or painting whole panels? I've been
looking into touching up spots around windows. Imron is a spectacularly
expensive touchup paint! I painted a spinner a couple of years ago with
an automotive two-stage paint and it's holding up great although I
decided to polish my planes spinner because it "seemed" (another story)
like it would be easier. Any paint system is expensive since you need
to buy the catalyst, the appropriate thinner and other extras like a
dewaxer solvent
Owner painting is okay if it's not a control surface. I've been
planning on touching up with a gravity feed touchup gun because it
needs the least amount of paint in the cup, how were you going to apply
the paint?
Michael

I have found that an airbrush is great for touchup with Imron. You can
mix up the stuff by the 1/4 teaspoon, if you like, and touchup some very
small areas.

I have also found that you can store mixed Imron in small bottles in the
freezer for about a week. The freezer inhibits the setup of the paint
sufficiently to keep it alive. This also works for 2-part epoxy primers.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old January 6th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Again, Imron is dangerous stuff. Had a pilot at the field sent to
the hospital for two weeks for not using an aspirator while spraying in
a hanger. It can be absorbed through the skin and disrupt the nervous
system. Almost as bad a nerve gas.

I do believe you mean respirator, not aspirator.
Specifically, a pressure hood.
No part of your body should be exposed when using IMRON.
That means wearing a pressure hood, set of coveralls, gloves and boots.
THEN tape the wrist and ankles to seal.
Old January 6th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I use Imron outside and stay up breeze from the spray with no problems.

Old January 7th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I use Imron outside and stay up breeze from the spray with no problems.

Whoo-whee! I can just imagine what the EPA-types are thinking right now...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 7th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
I use Imron outside and stay up breeze from the spray with no problems.

Whoo-whee! I can just imagine what the EPA-types are thinking right now...

;-)

Interestingly, the EPA usually passes on chasing down individuals
engaging in certain polluting activities on a one time basis when it is
done for non commercial and personal purposes. Open a business doing it
and that usually catches their attention.

Even body shops can get away with "spot" painting to the open air. When
they get into "complete" paint jobs, then the rules change and they are
required to have a spray booth. Oddly, most spray booths do nothing to
actually treat the cyanide laced air they spew out.

The OSHA folks also weigh in on these activities. Depending on the type
of paint, there is a whole slew of rules as to what you are required to
provide to workers (respirator masks, fresh air supply, body
covering(s), etc.)

Even outside, I use a dual filter respirator. There really is no way to
stay out of the mist when painting all around an object. The mask
catches some percentage of the substances in paint, but the worst
offenders in Imron pass right through. Most polyurethanes also tend to
clog the outer filter pretty quickly even before it gets to the charcoal
part. So, you need to change them frequently (like after every use).

Mike
Old January 7th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I use Imron outside and stay up breeze from the spray with no problems.

Whoo-whee! I can just imagine what the EPA-types are thinking right
now...

EPA? More what his health insurance company is thinking.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old January 8th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Sounds like one of those weenie burger adds.

Update on new paint job and leather seats - Trip back home Longworth Piloting 6 November 21st 05 07:52 PM
Thinning paint Michelle P Owning 12 June 4th 05 12:37 PM
Instrument Panel Paint [email protected] Owning 0 May 1st 05 02:54 PM
Trailer paint removal Chris Davison Soaring 13 September 3rd 04 10:42 PM
Choice of Paint for use over Copper foil Antennas Charlie Precourt Home Built 1 December 2nd 03 03:51 AM