AvMap EKP-IV users? any XM coming down the pipe?

Old December 26th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dico

Default AvMap EKP-IV users? any XM coming down the pipe?

Hello,

Just wondering if we have any AvMap EKP-IV users here that can give a
comparison to the Garmin x96 units. The lower price and the much
larger screen make it seem pretty attractive. Although I'd like to
have the XM weather capability. Any one know if this is somethiing
they're working on? It would seem that most companies would have to
get weather integrated (as an option at least) into their systems to
remain competitive.

Thoughts?

Dico

Old December 26th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Longworth[_1_]

I stopped at the AvMap booth at Oshkosh last July. The salesrep asked
me whether I was going to ask him about XMWeather because everybody was
asking him about it. He lamented the fact that it took the Germans
forever to develop the softwares. He could not give me any estimates
on when it will be available (probably got burned from earlier
unfulfilled promises).

The next best GPS in terms of display size is Lowrance Airmap. Their
salesreps assured me that they would introduce a color unit with
XMweather at Sun-n-Fun 07. We have been satisified owners of the
Airmap 1000 for the last few years and will certainly grab an Airmap
with XMweather capability as soon as it is available.

Hai Longworth

Old December 26th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dico wrote:
Hello,

Just wondering if we have any AvMap EKP-IV users here that can give a
comparison to the Garmin x96 units. The lower price and the much
larger screen make it seem pretty attractive. Although I'd like to
have the XM weather capability. Any one know if this is somethiing
they're working on? It would seem that most companies would have to
get weather integrated (as an option at least) into their systems to
remain competitive.

Thoughts?

Dico

I've had an EKP-IV for a while.

Other than the larger screen (which is why I bought it), most of the
comparison is like trying to decide if Pepsi or Coke is better.

The larger screen is a definite advantage if your eyes are over 30.

I haven't heard a thing about weather, and as you say, to stay
competitive they will eventually have to offer it.

I have noticed the company doesn't seem to make vaporware announcements
like some other companies; they appear to hold the press releases
until there is a product you can actually order.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old December 26th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
D.Rizzato

I have a AvMap EKP-IV for a couple of years and I would not change it for
anything on the marked, I understand that the next software update will
include the weather capability

Horst

oups.com...

Old December 26th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Longworth,

He lamented the fact that it took the Germans
forever to develop the softwares.

What Germans? The unit is from Italy.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 26th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

D.Rizzato,

I understand that the next software update will
include the weather capability

It's impossible to do XM weather as a software only upgrade.

What's your real name, Daniel or Horst?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 26th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_3_]

Same. We also have the AM 2000.Love it!

XM Wx coming from Lowrance next year.

We use an GPRS IpaQ for real time weather radar on the Stbd yoke for
now.

Would be nice to have it super imposed on the AM display. (if wx
weather is extended to Canada by then, which I am told it will be..).

Dave

Old December 26th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Longworth[_1_]

On Dec 26, 1:49 pm, "D.Rizzato" wrote:
The software is not from Germany but from Italy

Dan

I was certain that the salesrep said Germans and not Italians. Either
he mispoke or the company had outsourced their software development.
It really did not matter to me who wrote the softwares, what was
cleared to me that they could not tell me when the software would be
available.

Hai Longworth

Old December 27th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dico

Well... I'm heading down to Sun'n'Fun in April so I guess I'll have to
stop by their both and see what the deal is. Hopefully they'll have
some news by then!

-Dico

Goodbye, AvMap... Jay Honeck Owning 10 October 21st 06 02:42 PM
More war for Israel coming right down the pipe at US: [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 April 14th 06 09:33 AM
millionaire on the Internet... in weeks! Malcolm Austin Soaring 0 November 5th 04 11:14 PM
AvMap IV price range Kai Glaesner Piloting 2 September 6th 04 02:07 PM