Banner Towing

Old May 3rd 05, 11:35 PM

We've done some banner towing, and there's more to it than meets
the eye. An STC'd tow hook with quick release ($$), special banners
($$), ground crew ($$), and special techniques (Practice and more $$).
We use a 7-foot tall banner (biggest we could get) and it's barely
readable at 1000 feet. Not terribly practical at that altitude. The
drag is enormous, climb is poor and the engine gets plenty hot, with
near full power at 70 mph in a 150 hp Citabria. I had a better time
towing gliders.

Dan

Old May 3rd 05, 11:57 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Peter R." wrote in message
ups.com...
Dudley wrote:

Bad idea! Forget it. Special equipment, special crew, special

training, and
whatever you do, don't even THINK about trailing something out the

window of
a 172 to avoid all this :-))

So, the idea that he tie a couple of old sneakers and a bunch of tin
cans to the struts wouldn't work?

--
Peter

For some reason I can't shake this vision of something streaming out the
window and getting caught in the right horizontal stabilizer/elevator hinge
margin. Could make for a VERY interesting flight!!
Dudley Henriques

Old May 4th 05, 10:37 AM
Cub Driver

On 3 May 2005 09:01:58 -0700, "Michael"
wrote:

A waiver from the FSDO, which you are unlikely to get as a 145 hour
private pilot.

I didn't notice that part!

I don't think a 145 hour pilot ought to be picking up banners, and
certainly not on his wedding day.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old May 4th 05, 10:41 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:57:32 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
dhenriques@noware .net wrote:

For some reason I can't shake this vision of something streaming out the
window and getting caught in the right horizontal stabilizer/elevator hinge
margin. Could make for a VERY interesting flight!!

Maurice Kirk, who is trying to fly his L-4 Cub around the world,
thought he could jettison his empty gasoline jerry-jugs en route from
New Zealand to Australia. He let the first one stream back but
couldn't maneuver it past the flying wires on the tail.

Then he had the task of hauling it back in. His flight almost ended
right there.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/l4world.htm

Old May 4th 05, 02:54 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:57:32 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
dhenriques@noware .net wrote:

For some reason I can't shake this vision of something streaming out the
window and getting caught in the right horizontal stabilizer/elevator
hinge
margin. Could make for a VERY interesting flight!!

Maurice Kirk, who is trying to fly his L-4 Cub around the world,
thought he could jettison his empty gasoline jerry-jugs en route from
New Zealand to Australia. He let the first one stream back but
couldn't maneuver it past the flying wires on the tail.

Then he had the task of hauling it back in. His flight almost ended
right there.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/l4world.htm

Segway?

Dudley Henriques

Old May 4th 05, 03:02 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 04 May 2005 05:37:02 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote in
::

wrote:

A waiver from the FSDO, which you are unlikely to get as a 145 hour
private pilot.

I didn't notice that part!

I believe a waiver is only necessary for airmen who don't hold a
Commercial Certificate or ATP.
Old May 4th 05, 04:19 PM
TaxSrv

"Larry Dighera" wrote:
I believe a waiver is only necessary for airmen who
don't hold a Commercial Certificate or ATP.

The waivers I've seen obtained by my friend in this business and his
pilots I believe say a commercial certificate is required. Whether or
not they would issue a waiver to a private pilot, thus for
noncommercial activity, would be a question to be posed to the FSDO.

Fred F.

Old May 4th 05, 06:45 PM
Peter Duniho

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
I believe a waiver is only necessary for airmen who don't hold a
Commercial Certificate or ATP.

The regulation referenced earlier in this thread, 91.311, doesn't say
anything about the type of certificate.

Old May 4th 05, 07:51 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 4 May 2005 11:19:24 -0400, "TaxSrv" wrote
in ::

"Larry Dighera" wrote:
I believe a waiver is only necessary for airmen who
don't hold a Commercial Certificate or ATP.

The waivers I've seen obtained by my friend in this business and his
pilots I believe say a commercial certificate is required. Whether or
not they would issue a waiver to a private pilot, thus for
noncommercial activity, would be a question to be posed to the FSDO.

Given:

§ 91.311 Towing: Other than under §91.309.

No pilot of a civil aircraft may tow anything with that aircraft
(other than under §91.309) except in accordance with the terms of a
certificate of waiver issued by the Administrator.

It would appear that any towing by any pilot with the exception of
Gliders and unpowered ultralight vehicles requires a waiver.
Old May 4th 05, 10:25 PM
Blueskies

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 4 May 2005 11:19:24 -0400, "TaxSrv" wrote
in ::
Given:

§ 91.311 Towing: Other than under §91.309.

No pilot of a civil aircraft may tow anything with that aircraft
(other than under §91.309) except in accordance with the terms of a
certificate of waiver issued by the Administrator.

It would appear that any towing by any pilot with the exception of
Gliders and unpowered ultralight vehicles requires a waiver.

Interesting that the TFRs around stadiums pretty much rule out any banner towing aircraft, and that apparently all
banner towing pilots need this waiver.