Dear Mary...

Old March 17th 04, 04:02 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Douglas Berry" wrote in message

Of course, the difference is that humans can clearly indicate that
they understand marriage, and animals can't. You have a slight
problem there.

Actually, if all humans clearly understood marriage, there'd be no call for
same-sex marriage!

Because contract law depends on both parties being competent to
understand the implications of the agreement.

But we're talking about arbitrarily redefining marriage. Human-animal
marriage wouldn't require the animal to understand the concept of marriage.

Old March 17th 04, 04:03 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Kessler" wrote in message

Unwillingness to accept your premises and conclusions doesn't
necessarily mean we don't understand your arguments and explanations.

Actually, that's exactly what it means.

Old March 17th 04, 04:08 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Kessler" wrote in message

You certainly seem to have lost your patience, at least, in post
et:

I've repeated the explanation over and over. Why are you unable
to understand the explanation? Do you have an identified learning
deficiency?

Poor judgment on your part.

That's what must have led you to the conclusion that anyone who
doesn't accept your conclusions must therefore not understand them and
might be learning-disabled.

Marriage is a pretty simple concept. There's obviously something wrong with
those that are unable to understand it.

Old March 17th 04, 08:30 PM
Larry Kessler

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Larry Kessler" wrote:

Unwillingness to accept your premises and conclusions doesn't
necessarily mean we don't understand your arguments and explanations.

Actually, that's exactly what it means.

You certainly are impressed with the infallibility of those arguments.
Tell me, are you perfect in every other way as well?

Has it never crossed your mind that others may not find them as
convincing as you? Isn't that what independent thought is all about?
Listening to arguments from either side of a debate and drawing one's
own conclusions?

--
__________Delete the numerals from my email address to respond__________
"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed...
Old March 17th 04, 08:36 PM
Larry Kessler

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Larry Kessler" wrote in message
.. .

You certainly seem to have lost your patience, at least, in post
et:

I've repeated the explanation over and over. Why are you unable
to understand the explanation? Do you have an identified learning
deficiency?

Poor judgment on your part.

I call 'em like I see 'em. "Poor judgment" is just one bigot's
opinion of that perception.

That's what must have led you to the conclusion that anyone who
doesn't accept your conclusions must therefore not understand them and
might be learning-disabled.

Marriage is a pretty simple concept.

No, it isn't. If it were, we'd have no need of alt.support.marriage
newsgroup, marriage counselors, divorce lawyers, how-to books, or
myriads of laws and customs relating to marriage. These laws and
customs vary wildly from place to place and from one era to the next,
by the way. Did you know that until the 19th century the Catholic
church used to perform same-sex marriages, and until Utah wanted to
join the USA it was legal there to marry several women? These laws
and customs are not set in stone for all time and handed down on Mt.
Sinai from the hand of the Lord; they are crafted by humans.

There's obviously something wrong with
those that are unable to understand it.

Yup, I guess anyone who disagrees with you on this must be stupid,
insane, or evil.

No, the "something wrong" with those of us who don't see it your way
is that we THINK FOR OURSELVES. Obviously, that's not OK with you.

Old March 18th 04, 02:38 AM
Ralph DuBose

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

[...]

What you must be referring to was something more like a sacrament
of friendship to restore a broken relationship. It was something the
church would referee between alienated friends, in my understanding.
Besides, the modern concept of homosexuality was not very widely
held in the 18th, 19th centuries. At any rate, the catholic church has
never given approval to same sex sex, St. Thomas Aquinas wrote his
natural law theolgy, on which subsequent teaching have been based, a
long time before that. And it categorically condemned all sexual acts
that "were not open to the transmission of life".
So, whatever the church did, it was not giving anyone permission
for sex apart from unprotected piv.

Old March 18th 04, 10:23 PM
~Nins~

Ralph DuBose wrote:
|| What you must be referring to was something more like a sacrament
|| of friendship to restore a broken relationship. It was something the
|| church would referee between alienated friends, in my understanding.

I don't recall there ever having been such a sacrament. I don't doubt the
Church might have mediated in friendships on an informal level, but in no
way would such condone same-sex acts. "Homosexual persons are called to
chastity.........CCC2359". There are 7 sacraments: Baptism, Confirmation or
Chrismation, Eucharist, Penance, Anointing of the Sick, Holy Orders, and
Matrimony. Sacrament is formal, a mediation is informal, not a sacrament.

The other poster, the only thing I've run across on the net about same-sex
marriages prior to the 19th century was a generalized one not specific to
the Catholic Church. As a matter of fact, I've not seen anything that
references the Church as having ever performed such a marriage.

St. Thomas you mentioned, were you referrring to Summa Theologica?
http://www.ccel.org/a/aquinas/summa/home.html

Old March 19th 04, 05:31 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:23:14 GMT, "~Nins~" wrote:

There are 7 sacraments: Baptism, Confirmation or
Chrismation, Eucharist, Penance, Anointing of the Sick, Holy Orders, and
Matrimony.

You left out pedophilia.