New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Old February 14th 18, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:31:46 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was so tried of the hard deck discussion thought I would try a discussion of dreams. After seeing the vision of Elon Musk with his Falcon Heavy, I had to pinch myself. Those two boosters landing in sync..

What are some of the innovative, new technology, original thought, scifi dreams, would you like to see in a brand new glider design? Let your inter Elon Musk flow.

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

If you were to design a glider what are your dreams?

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Sustainer, jet, electric, two stroke?

Light weight: I would love to be able to get to 7.5 pounds with a 220 lb pilot+chute and up to 12ish pounds wet. This might take new manufacturing methods and materials. Perhaps pre-preg, vacuum bagging...?

Pedestal mounted wing?

I would like to see instrumentation that could be like radar that would give a graphic representation on the flight computer screen that shows lift and sink, possibly in color represented in color scales between green and red.. Either that, or a HUD/holographic projection on the canopy to give a visual depiction of the movement of the surrounding air (lift, sink, wind direction).
Old February 14th 18, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

To me, most "pilot damage" is either feet (cockpit eggshells) or vertical loads that damage/break the spine.....assuming not a major hit.
Taken from someone that has "broken their back, twice", but not in a sailplane.
Only looking at accidents I have read or been an early party to recovery.

To me, airbags (unless maybe under the pilot) are a ton of cost with little to no benefit, just my opinion......

"If airbags were so great, why don't ANY auto motorsports require them?".
Because, a good set of well anchored belts will be about the best bet.
Aircraft crashes tend to have a vertical motion, belts don't help there. Crush structure does.......most wouldn't put an airbag under your back/butt where most damage is done.
Cockpit structure for your feet/lower legs HAS been done.
Ask Andy Gough.......I helped first responders during his incident many years ago in PA.
Glad to see him return to contests.
Old February 14th 18, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 11:06:11 -0800, ND wrote:

speaking of cars... this is a little nuts, but, airbags? i've always
thought that during a crash, you probably smack the **** out of your
head.

Airbags shouldn't be necessary provided that your straps are tight and
the anchor points don't pop off the hull, though your chin may hit your
chest quite hard. The stick is be short enough that your head won't hit
it and the shoulder + lap straps will stop your head hitting the panel

That said, I've been shown photos of lap-strap anchor point failures
during a BGA safety talk. Some of the older gliders used steel rod with
four bends to form a joggle for the lap-strap to go through. These were
attached to the hull with patches of glasscloth glued on over the
straight bits at each end of the rod. Stop suddenly enough with a heavy
pilot on board and the patches tear or pull off the hull, but IIRC that
usually causes the pilot to submarine under the panel rather than hitting
his head on it.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old February 14th 18, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 1:31:46 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was so tried of the hard deck discussion thought I would try a discussion of dreams. After seeing the vision of Elon Musk with his Falcon Heavy, I had to pinch myself. Those two boosters landing in sync..

What are some of the innovative, new technology, original thought, scifi dreams, would you like to see in a brand new glider design? Let your inter Elon Musk flow.

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

If you were to design a glider what are your dreams?

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Sustainer, jet, electric, two stroke?

Light weight: I would love to be able to get to 7.5 pounds with a 220 lb pilot+chute and up to 12ish pounds wet. This might take new manufacturing methods and materials. Perhaps pre-preg, vacuum bagging...?

Pedestal mounted wing?

How about a standardized and reliable BlueTooth communication protocol between the electronic gizmos we have on our panels today? Eliminate all these data cables and only run power to them from a bus bar.
Uli
'AS'
Old February 15th 18, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 2:01:41 PM UTC-6, Kiwi User wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 11:06:11 -0800, ND wrote:

speaking of cars... this is a little nuts, but, airbags? i've always
thought that during a crash, you probably smack the **** out of your
head.

Airbags shouldn't be necessary provided that your straps are tight and
the anchor points don't pop off the hull, though your chin may hit your
chest quite hard. The stick is be short enough that your head won't hit
it and the shoulder + lap straps will stop your head hitting the panel

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

That's assuming a straight ahead impact. A friend was killed when his glider impacted in a yawed orientating (spin). The side of his head hit the canopy rail hard enough to kill him. It would have taken side airbags to have protected him, or a helmet.
Old February 15th 18, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 6:19:48 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
[...]

side airbags is basically what i was thinking, to protect your head during a yawing or side impact. like if you were going into a ridge, caught a wingtip first, and impacted sideways.
Old February 15th 18, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 05:36:39 -0800, ND wrote:

[...]

I'd have thought that the tip would catch, causing the glider to pivot
round it through almost 90 degrees, putting the fuselage into the ridge
nose-first. Have I got that wrong?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old February 15th 18, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)

I mean if we are going to dream,

- Deployable drone cloud that helps find and center lift. Fun in gaggles!
- A minimum speed of say 20 knots for landing and climb
- Expert system flight computers that anticipate pilot need based on the phase of flight, making real-time display and sensor adjustments and offering guidance.
- Fly by wire controls that integrate loading and maneuvering inputs with flap movements
- Cloud recognition software that does shape analysis using time lapse
- Smart system learning vario that learns the pneumatic inputs of the particular glider it is installed and the day factors in real time so it gets smarter the more you fly, even with a day factor.
- OK not glider but rigging integrated into trailer design
- Something that will mask the height from the Hard Deck analysis software.
Old February 15th 18, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 3:37:12 PM UTC-5, J. Nieuwenhuize wrote:
*Reduced battery pack for the FES. Replace that with a 5 HP 4-stroke generator and you loose all drawbacks of FES.

- Excellent idea. Use the high-energy-density of gasoline to store energy for the rarely-used operation of a lengthy sustain. Save weight and cost.
Old February 15th 18, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 3:18:37 PM UTC-5, Kiwi User wrote:
[...]

yeah, it's not going to pivot on the wingtip and hit nose first. it IS going to pivot. but would probably pivot, stall, and begin to fall all while travelling sideways. the nose may be the first to touch the ground but i think the major force of the impact would be in a sideways direction, relative to the pilot.

i think you'll agree that it wouldn't be a horrible thing to have airbags deploy around the pilots head in this situation (i realize its not him catching a wingtip) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nsXL72S9OA

I have a dream. A GPS/SBAS/QZSS dream ! In honour of MLK day. macpacheco Instrument Flight Rules 2 January 19th 11 01:39 AM
A Dream franck jeamourra Piloting 0 March 27th 04 08:43 PM
A dream franck jeamourra Simulators 0 March 25th 04 01:26 PM
a dream franck jeamourra Military Aviation 0 March 25th 04 07:27 AM
a dream franck jeamourra Owning 0 March 25th 04 07:26 AM