A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

Old May 12th 18, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

I have no reason to doubt the manufaturers claims, can you present any actual facts?
Old May 12th 18, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 7:15:02 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
This assumes that all lithium batteries have a full-featured BMS circuit
that protects against battery abuse. That seems to be a bad assumption,
particularly for LiFePO4 batteries. Pfiffner has posted some
interesting failures he's seen there, in the previous incarnation of
this discussion.

I really was just asking about the taller size battery (the PowerSonic # is PS-12100H if you want to look it up; it's about $10 more than the usual size) to see if there were a LiFePO4 equivalent.

That said, I've read Richard's posts as well as others from a few pilots who have reported relatively premature deterioration of LiFePO4 batteries. The verdict seemed very clear a few years ago. Now...? Having a $35 SLA start to slide after a few years wouldn't be as annoying as would a $100 to $150 LiFePO4 battery. Yes, the only advantage of SLA is cost...but if I have to replace both types at about the same time, that's definitive for me.

T8, I believe you were using Bioenno whereas most posts are about K2, with a few about Starkpower and one unanswered query about Dakota. I take it you're still happy with yours.

Chip Bearden

Old May 12th 18, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Saturday, 12 May 2018 06:16:40 UTC+3, wrote:
I have no reason to doubt the manufaturers claims, can you present any actual facts?

My LFP batteries died in 1,5 and 3 years age, respectively. They have cycle life and calendar life. For glider pilots calendar life is what matters, we do not use 1000 cycles per year. Obviously not all LFPs are the same.
Old May 12th 18, 10:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Try the Australian made Fusion brand, no cheap chinese junk. Fusion use prismatic cells, not round cheap laptop cells.
They also have very good internal battery management. They are the ONLY LiFe battery approved for gliders in Australia.
I have quality laptop batteries that are 10 years old, 1500 and 90% charge still.
Its all about the quality, just as a cheap SLA wont last, neither will a cheap LiFe.
Old May 12th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 11:59:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I agree that there seems to be a wide range of quality out there and that higher price doesn't guarantee longevity (K2). Several guys have the Bioenno 12 AH battery. I know of no issues, but it's a very small sample (also worth noting the obvious fact that this technology is still evolving). I reported my test results earlier this Spring... 11.5 AH capacity after five seasons of use.

What we don't have a handle on is what all the eventual failure modes are. If it turns out that they frequently die suddenly, or sometimes die in some hazardous fashion, then that would take some of the luster off!

I may well replace mine after this season out of caution. I'm more concerned with performance and reliability than economy when it comes to batteries. I'll offer the old one for $25 so someone else can brag on economy :-).

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

Old May 12th 18, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_5_]

I have three K2s, one is completely useless the other two provide performance similar to SLA at best. All are 2-5 years old, I've always used the K2 charger. Borrowed a friend's Stark recently, voltage was much better throughout the flight. FWIW
Old May 13th 18, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

I bought A123. Low power rating but still giving after 3 years.

Old May 13th 18, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have several LFP batteries, all different makes. The multiple chargers was an issue for me. I have had a very good experience with the CTEK Lithium US charger.
I was curious about CTEK since both of my newest cars came with CTEK trickle chargers, a Mercedes and a Porsche. I find it unusual that different manufacturers would use a common product.
I have been using the CTEK Lithium US for about one year. One charger for all my batteries and everything has been working perfectly.
Check it out. One charger works for all LFP batteries from 5Ah to 60Ah.
Old May 13th 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 6:38:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have several LFP batteries, all different makes. The multiple chargers was an issue for me. I have had a very good experience with the CTEK Lithium US charger.
I was curious about CTEK since both of my newest cars came with CTEK trickle chargers, a Mercedes and a Porsche. I find it unusual that different manufacturers would use a common product.
I have been using the CTEK Lithium US for about one year. One charger for all my batteries and everything has been working perfectly.
Check it out. One charger works for all LFP batteries from 5Ah to 60Ah.

The Tenergy TB6AC+80W works well with all the LiFePO4s I've connected.
It can be used with other chemistries too, including SLA/AGM, LiPO, Li-Ion at various cell counts (voltages).
For reference, that charger is provided with Jonkers sailplanes with the jet sustainer. The battery for that system is a Tenergy 12v 10Ah.
The references to the Australian LiFePO4 battery are interesting. GFA has only authorised that particular battery and the use of an inappropriate charger with it. I pointed this out to the CTOA.
Those Fusion batteries have not self-destructed when charged with a car charger. But they haven't been charged fully either.
Jim

LifePO4 batteries for motorgliders - are we there yet? Chris Soaring 13 January 9th 16 04:43 PM
LiFePO4 Batteries on sale. [email protected] Soaring 20 December 9th 15 06:34 PM
K2 vs. StarkPower LiFePo4 batteries Fox Two[_2_] Soaring 36 April 16th 15 05:14 PM
LiFePO4 Batteries vontresc Soaring 56 June 27th 14 07:25 PM
LiFePO4 batteries JS Soaring 26 October 15th 12 02:51 PM