Oshkosh Bound With Ham Radio

Old July 13th 03, 05:52 PM
Jim Weir

Default Oshkosh Bound With Ham Radio

In about two weeks (and for ten days thereafter) the largest collection of
aircraft in the world will be converging on Oshkosh WI from all corners of the
USA and several countries. The show actually starts on the 29th of July and
ends on the 4th of August, but the heaviest traffic is going to be the weekends
of 26 July and 2 August.

There is a large crossbreeding of pilots and hams. Our (admittedly
nonscientific) research shows that approximately 15% of all certificated pilots
are also certificated amateur radio operators. Given that there will be about
10,000 aircraft flying in at some point during the week, that means 1500
pilot-hams will be in the air somewhere over this country.

Most of us flying our own aircraft have installed ham rigs in the airplane,
predominantly 2-meters. Most of the rest will at least have an HT with them.

If you hear one of us on 52 simplex, please give us a shout. Flying between,
oh, say, Salt Lake to Minneapolis is hours and hours of nothing but hours and
hours. And, please excuse us if you turn it back to us and we don't immediately
respond. Every now and again the ground controllers want us to talk with them,
and with all due respects, they've got priority.

Jim & Gail
WX6RST & KB9MII

Cessna 182A N 73 CQ

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old July 13th 03, 06:50 PM
JimC

I have noticed an overlap between piloting and amateur radio too but have
never put a number to it. Back in the days when I was active on radio I
communicated with several people in planes. Now I'm a pilot too but have
not operated amateur radio from the air. Sounds like something to look
into.

Do people still exchange QSL cards?

Good flying,

JimC
N2233W
WT0J

Old July 13th 03, 07:23 PM
Peter Gottlieb

Maybe a good time to get back on the air. Besides the 146.52 simplex, what
repeaters are best for use at the show?

It's been a long time. Is receive or transmit (on the portable) higher?

Old July 14th 03, 11:57 AM
Scott

Not sure if I understand the question, but if you are referring to the
offsets on the HT to access repeaters, on 2 Meters, below 147.000 you
transmit 600 KHz down from your receive freq. and above 147.000 you
transmit 600 KHz above your receive freq. There are exceptions such as
exactly at 147.000...some repeaters listen 600 KHZ down and some listen
600 KHz above and the (few) repeaters with odd splits. Examples: Set
your HT to listen to a repeater at 145.190 and you transmit back to it
at 144.590, Listen at 146.610 and TX at 146.010, and finally, listen at
147.300 and TX at 147.900.

As for repeaters at OSH...I've never been able to get anyone to talk to
me, but here is a link to the listing of all Wisconsin repeaters:
http://www.wi-repeaters.org/warlst.htm

Scott
N0EDV
Listening 146.580 Simplex at OSH
Also Listening FRS Channel 5 Tone 12 (call "Acepilot")

--

Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com
Old July 14th 03, 04:18 PM
Jim Weir

Scott

[snip some particularly confusing answers]

-As for repeaters at OSH...I've never been able to get anyone to talk to
-me

Why not download just the Oshkosh repeaters from the Oshkosh frequency chart at
www.rstengineering.com ? I've never had a problem with getting ANY of the
locals to talk to me; they actually seem to be a very nice lot.

-Listening 146.580 Simplex at OSH

Why don't you try 52 simplex? That's where the rest of us are going to be

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com
Old July 14th 03, 11:38 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
news
Scott

Thank you both. I'll reprogram my Visar tonight (and hopefully there won't
be a CAP mission I need to be on until OSH).

Peter

Old July 15th 03, 03:47 AM
Jay Honeck

Most of us flying our own aircraft have installed ham rigs in the
airplane,
predominantly 2-meters. Most of the rest will at least have an HT with

them.

Hey Jim -- can you set up your radio at poolside?

We can be "live from the Alexis Park Inn & Suites" worldwide during the
fly-in pool party!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 15th 03, 04:30 AM
Jim Weir

Well, we certainly can, Jay. Both Gail and I (WX6RST and KB9MII) carry
handhelds that will do as well as a full-featured rig, but...

2 meters is just a little above the VHF COM band...that is, line of sight.
"Live from the ...." will be anything within a hundred miles or so at 5000MSL or
so, and I really wouldn't expect one, maybe two checkins all of Sunday afternoon
and evening.

HOWEVER, as the Wizard of Cheap-Ass Homebuilt Antennas, I'll bring along
something that will let us listen to any of our brethren and sistren that choose
to yack at us as they proceed along their chosen course.

Jim & Gail

"Jay Honeck"

-

Old July 15th 03, 04:39 AM
john smith

Hey Jim -- can you set up your radio at poolside?
We can be "live from the Alexis Park Inn & Suites" worldwide during the
fly-in pool party!

Hmmm... satellite, earth-moon-earth, or HF?
Old July 15th 03, 04:46 AM
Jay Honeck

Well, we certainly can, Jay. Both Gail and I (WX6RST and KB9MII) carry
handhelds that will do as well as a full-featured rig, but...

Cool!

AND, just to add some high-voltage fun to our little get together, our very
own Aviv Hod has agreed to display (and fly!) his very cool (and scarily
bizarre) "flying machine" (he calls it a "lifter") that flies with no
visible means of propulsion -- just for all of our Usenet visitors.

As you may recall, this contraption looks for all the world like a billiards
triangle, attaches to some VERY high voltage power supplies, and flies on a
stream of ions -- or something like that. It makes a cool humming noise,
and probably emits deadly radiation. Best of all, if you touch it, you die
instantly!

(Sounds like a great thing to have at poolside while drinking beer -- no?

But, honestly, he'll be there all day long, demonstrating it for all of our
startled guests. Don't miss it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Need a ride from Milwauke to OshKosh Steve Ruse Home Built 2 July 11th 03 07:40 PM
Recommendation for Radio, transponder and Altimeter Ron Natalie Home Built 0 July 8th 03 03:40 PM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Doug Carter Home Built 24 July 8th 03 03:30 AM
Ontario to Oshkosh CarlO Home Built 1 July 5th 03 02:05 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM