304 versus Discus B

Old February 28th 17, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Del Jensen

Default 304 versus Discus B

Two gliders have caught my eye; 304 with minden trailer and Discus B with Komet. Both about the same hours, roughly same age, 30k vs. 36k.

I'm getting back into soaring after a twenty year break. I've got about 120hrs, a fair number of those hours in a Glasflugel 401. I'm big, but dropping weight (6' 240lbs, 64yrs). Glider would be based south of Phoenix, so I'm hoping to keep the ship assembled under all weather covers, covers to be replaced every couple of years. I take it the Discus is hot and sexy (for its age), but the 304 pulls at my heart strings.

Any advice/observations on the gliders and suitability for a low time fat boy would be gratefully received. Also comments on keeping the machine under all weather covers year round. Also, would type of trailer tip the balance in your opinion?

P.S. If I can find hanger space, I'll buy it.
Old February 28th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

=
I'm hoping to keep the ship assembled under all weather covers, covers to
b=
e replaced every couple of years. I take it the Discus is hot and sexy
(fo=
r its age), but the 304 pulls at my heart strings.

Any advice/observations on the gliders and suitability for a low time fat
b=
oy would be gratefully received. Also comments on keeping the machine
unde=
r all weather covers year round. Also, would type of trailer tip the
balan=
ce in your opinion?

P.S. If I can find hanger space, I'll buy it.

The discus can be a little snug for fat boys,but you don't need covers you
can
rig in 10 minutes without effort,
There is a video on YouTube of one being rigged and launched to 1000ft in
less than 2 minutes
Never flown 304 but reported larger cockpit and less twitchy
Buy something and fly ,it's later than you think.

Old March 1st 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

"Buy something and fly ,it's later than you think."

Well said,

ROY
Old March 1st 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 5:08:34 PM UTC-6, Del Jensen wrote:
Two gliders have caught my eye; 304 with minden trailer and Discus B with Komet. Both about the same hours, roughly same age, 30k vs. 36k.

I'm getting back into soaring after a twenty year break. I've got about 120hrs, a fair number of those hours in a Glasflugel 401. I'm big, but dropping weight (6' 240lbs, 64yrs). Glider would be based south of Phoenix, so I'm hoping to keep the ship assembled under all weather covers, covers to be replaced every couple of years. I take it the Discus is hot and sexy (for its age), but the 304 pulls at my heart strings.

Any advice/observations on the gliders and suitability for a low time fat boy would be gratefully received. Also comments on keeping the machine under all weather covers year round. Also, would type of trailer tip the balance in your opinion?

P.S. If I can find hanger space, I'll buy it.

That a real 304 or the HpH 304C?

Assuming it's a real 304 with flaps as God and Hanle intended, then there's no decision to be made. Get the 304. Flaps!
Old March 1st 17, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Del Jensen

It's the real deal. You guys are right. I'm going for it. Maybe ten or fifteen years left before I turn into a menace and have to hang it up. Maybe less.

Old March 2nd 17, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 4:36:39 PM UTC-5, Del Jensen wrote:
It's the real deal. You guys are right. I'm going for it. Maybe ten or fifteen years left before I turn into a menace and have to hang it up. Maybe less.

Good choice, I flew a 304cz for 16 years, and loved it. And I am solidly in the "big and tall" category. 6' 3" with broad shoulders and it fit great.. I needed to remove the seat back, but at 6' you should be fine with it in. My new glider fits lengthwise, but it is a bit tighter in the sholders (ASH-31)

Is this a CZ or Orignal?

RR
Old March 2nd 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Del Jensen

Is this a CZ or Orignal?

RR

It is a Glasflugel made in '80. I hear the HpH ships are excellent, but the newer stuff is a bit out of reach price-wise. I really like the trailing edge brakes on the 304. In fact, I was looking at 90 degree flapped gliders, but I just don't fit into the ones I looked at. Maybe I'll find that kind of glide path control becomes a crutch, though. You guys flying long winged (and sometimes weak braked) ships have much finer honed skills than I can hope to achieve. The kestrel-17 (Glasflugel, not Slingsby) was a real pussy cat: even I could handle it. I loved it, but it was s Beast from Hell to rig.
Old March 2nd 17, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My first ship 30+ years ago was a Glasflugel Mosquito. I absolutely
loved the trailing edge dive brakes.

--
Dan, 5J