Chicago VFR throughway

Old July 4th 04, 10:56 PM
Stuart King

Default Chicago VFR throughway

Chicagoans...please advise ...

What about flying from North to South along the shore.
Then cross between Midway and O'Hare at 1500MSL.

Then continue south, after flipping the bird to Mayor Dick Daley.

Is this the way, or is there something like the Hudson river VFR corridor ?

SK

Old July 4th 04, 11:43 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Stuart King" wrote in message
.com...
Chicagoans...please advise ...

What about flying from North to South along the shore.
Then cross between Midway and O'Hare at 1500MSL.

Then continue south, after flipping the bird to Mayor Dick Daley.

Hmmmm...Amusing!! The Daley family ran one of the most corrupt political
machine in the country for, what, 60 years?, but until the pilots' ox was
gored it was just a source of amusement (and often, in fact, supported ).

So much for principles.

Old July 5th 04, 03:03 AM
Stuart King

Hi ...

Perhaps I let my disdain for Mayor Daley get in the way of my real question,
which is "Do you think that the flight path I described is feasable ?"

I am sorry for overlooking your oppression before Meigs. He makes a mockery
of democracy.

Stuart

Old July 5th 04, 05:43 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Stuart King" wrote in message
.com...
Hi ...

Perhaps I let my disdain for Mayor Daley get in the way of my real

question,
which is "Do you think that the flight path I described is feasable ?"

I am sorry for overlooking your oppression before Meigs.

I'm not really refering to you...I don't know that you even live in the
area.

He makes a mockery
of democracy.

He is a perfect example of democracy in action...when his constituents have
no principles. Of course, who else would such a constituency elect?

Old July 5th 04, 05:54 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Stuart King" wrote in message
.com...
Hi ...

Perhaps I let my disdain for Mayor Daley get in the way of my real

question,
which is "Do you think that the flight path I described is feasable ?"

I am sorry for overlooking your oppression before Meigs.

I'm not really refering to you...I don't know that you even live in the
area.

I meant to add that no one barked very loud (if at all) during 50 years of
corruption, until he screwed a particular group. Hell, in Chicago, such
corruption is a source of pride.

--
"He that would make his own liberty secure,
must guard even his enemy from oppression;

Old July 5th 04, 01:45 PM

Stuart King wrote:

Hi ...

Perhaps I let my disdain for Mayor Daley get in the way of my real question,
which is "Do you think that the flight path I described is feasable ?"

I am sorry for overlooking your oppression before Meigs. He makes a mockery
of democracy.

Stuart

The best source of an answer to your question would be to telephone the TRACON
and ask. It's their ballgame, not the mayor's or any of the pilots who check in
here.

Old July 5th 04, 03:32 PM
Nathan Young

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:56:22 GMT, "Stuart King"
wrote:

Chicagoans...please advise ...

What about flying from North to South along the shore.
Then cross between Midway and O'Hare at 1500MSL.

Then continue south, after flipping the bird to Mayor Dick Daley.

Is this the way, or is there something like the Hudson river VFR corridor ?

Never done it. I fly the lakeshore occasionally, but usually just go
N-S, turn around and head back S-N.

In regards to the proposed route, it looks feasible from an airspace
standpoint, and I believe the traffic copters use this as a
'thoroughfare'. However, the areas between ORD and MDW have a dense
population, and given an engine out, there would be few options @
1500MSL, which is only 8-900AGL in most of this area. This also would
conflict with FAR 91.119(b) (1000AGL over congested areas).

The ORD airspace is actually 1900MSL, so you could fly at 1899ft to
provide more glide range and 91.119(b) clearance.

GA planes flying low to the ground and in close proximity to the city
are not received well these days, so I definitely would not do this
without talking to ORD approach and having a squawk. It would be bad
to get a fighter escort out of this...

The city has a number of skyscrapers along the lakeshore, which is the
entrypoint for the proposed route. Make sure to keep well clear of
them...

And last, there are a few antenna 1500 MSL on the West side of ORD
(nearing DPA), so be careful of that.

-Nathan
Old July 5th 04, 03:49 PM
Chuck Gerlach

Stuart,

I'll ignore all the Daley comments and get back to your original question.
I fly out of DuPage airport in the far west Chicago suburbs and live even
further west.

I believe the Eisenhower corridor is open for use. It's also known as the
I-290 corridor. I haven't used it in a while. The route is directly over the
I-290 expressway/interstate under the O'Hare Class B airspace and through
the Midway Class C airspace. The route begins just west of old Meigs on the
east and extends to Downer's Grove on the west.

Westbound traffic stays within 4 miles on the north side and eastbound 4
miles on the south. Since most of the land around here is approximately 700
' MSL and the Class B floor is at 1900' MSL, you need to keep it in a 200'
window. 1800' MSL is a good choice.

The route is controlled by Midway Approach. You need to talk to them about
10 minutes before you enter the corridor. Naperville is a good point on the
west end and just north of Gary Airport is good on the southeast. Approach
can be very busy and you need to give them time to sort things out. Be sure
to have thought out what you want to say before you contact them.

This is an impressive route especially if you fly it at night. The route is
just south of the downtown area with all it's tall buildings. You are well
below the top of the Sears Tower. You are also right between O'Hare and
Midway. Lot's of big iron flying around. It may look like they are right
in your path, but they aren't.

Be sure everything is working ok before you try this and you are comfortable
with using the radio. If you have problems and need to set the airplane
down, there is no good option. Chicago doesn't have a whole lot of empty
space.

Get a terminal area chart, think things through, and go out and do it.

Have fun.

Chuck Gerlach

Old July 6th 04, 01:00 PM
Travis Marlatte

What you suggested is very doable. Did it last weekend. Although, your
sequence is off. You need to flip the bird as you pass the city and overfly
Meigs, then turn inland and follow the Eisenhower. If you have never done
this before, be careful. It can be difficult to determine which major
highway is the Eisenhower. GPS provides a lot of peace of mind.

Definitely talk to Midway. Now that Meigs is gone, Midway pretty much
controls the lakefront, when needed. They always did control the corridor.

Call them over the lake before turning inbound. Don't call Chicago Center or
ORD. They are not interested.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
"Stuart King" wrote in message
.com...
Chicagoans...please advise ...

What about flying from North to South along the shore.
Then cross between Midway and O'Hare at 1500MSL.

Then continue south, after flipping the bird to Mayor Dick Daley.

Is this the way, or is there something like the Hudson river VFR corridor

?

SK

Old July 6th 04, 07:27 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Travis Marlatte" wrote in message
ink.net...

Definitely talk to Midway. Now that Meigs is gone, Midway pretty much
controls the lakefront, when needed. They always did control the corridor.

Now that Meigs tower is closed, who do you call to transit the Meigs Class D
airspace?