Any vision challenged pilots that can give some advice?

Old March 15th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kirk Ellis

Default Any vision challenged pilots that can give some advice?

Before I ask my question thought I'd throw out a few words on my
background. After nearly a lifetime of pent up desire to fly I finally
got my PPL in 1998 at the young old age of 45. Last week I just turned
55 and unfortunately in the last ten years I have been able to log
only about 140 hours total. I have not been able to afford to fly as
much as I'd like. But that's finally beginning to change and I am
getting ready to transition from the Archer III which I last flew
more than 15 months ago to a DA40 with the G1000. Admittedly I've got
some catchin' up to do.

Now to the real reason of the post. For the last 5 years I have been
good with distant and intermediate vision albeit I have had a
restriction to carry glasses for up close reading. But these last 5
years have seen a slight decline in my distant vision as well as the
intermediate due to both presbyopia and astigmatism. Now I need
correction for all three vision distances, close up, intermediate and
infinity.

I have been to an optometrist who speciallizes in vision correction
for pilots and he has suggested progressive lenses to handle all 3
vision tasks. However, what he is prescribing is contrary to the AOA
information I see online that warn pilots to NOT use progressives for
flying due to distortion affects. I understand about the distortion
because I have been using progressives for over a year for other
tasks.

I asked about bifocals, but the eye doc said that's not a good thing
because of glare coming off the separation line and yet the AOA
recommends bi-focals and even tri-focals as the preferred solution for
pilots. I hear from some people that tri-focals are very annoying and
bifocals work better.

But how do you resolve the need for 3 focal distance with only
bifocals?

What I found interesting in the 3rd class vision requirements is that
if your far sight is not at least 20/40 you HAVE to wear glasses. If
your near sight (16 inches) is not at least 20/40 you just have to
carry the glasses with you. But there is no requirement for the
intermediate vision at around 30' - 32" which is right where the glass
panels sit in the DA40.

Seems that with glass cockpits becoming the norm the intermediate
distance is much more important. I still don't completely undersand
why the intermediate with a third class did not have any restrictions.
I assume they thought the hands on the standard analog instruments
where easy enough to see.

But the glass displays have so much digital information on them, that
it's not so easy for me to see the smaller print in focus without some
correction. I will need 3 way correction, but I am not all that
enamored of using trifocals. I think I can live with Bi-focals unless
the glare, as my doc mentioned, is a real problem. But they would have
to be set for intermedaite and distance to make sense to me in a glass
cockpit. However, what about the times you need to focus at the 16"
distance to read sectionals and charts? Perhaps an extra set of
bifocasl that has distance and near and you just switch.

It doesn't seem there is any optimal solution to this delimma and
those 2 pair is the only way I can figure to solve the problem. It's
just double the money and I am still concerned about the glare aspect
of bifocals the doc mentioned.

So what do other pilots opt for in vision correction in this glass
cockpit era?

Kirk

Kirk
PPL-ASEL
Old March 15th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:40:30 -0400, Kirk Ellis
wrote:

[...]

My experience.

I flew for years with USAF tri focals.

1. Distance on top
2. Instrument panel in middle
3. Read maps, etc on bottom

NEVER had any problem with the lines. With the tri focals I had the
best of all worlds.

You can get a pair of sun glasses made this way and also a clear pair
for overcast, night or instrument flying where you are not fighting
the sun.

I tried the progressive and they made me dizzy when I moved my head
(

Transition to Tri focals was quick and easy for me.

Best of luck.

Big John
Old March 16th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
quietguy

I second Big John's endorsement of non-blended trifocals. I've used
them for about a year (and bifocals for seven years before that) and
have had no serious problems with glare or with having to position my
head just so. Just make sure that the lens segments are approximately
equal in height; mine are a bit skimpy on height in the middle
segment, which I'll have corrected the next time I buy glasses. I
didn't buy trifocal sunglasses; instead I bought lightweight non-
prescription clip-ons that use a spring-loaded expandable nose-bridge
and small end-clips to grip the lenses. They're lighter (and less
dorky) than the center-clip flip-ups, although reflections off the
front lenses can be bothersome when in bright sunlight from behind.
That's been a problem only under the bubble canopy of a friend's RV-8.
Old March 16th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

I've flown my Arrow for 7 years with progressives, got my IR with
them, never a problem.

However, my distance adjustment is very slight; YMMV
Old March 16th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Big John" wrote:

So what do other pilots opt for in vision correction in this glass
cockpit era?

Kirk

Kirk
PPL-ASEL

Kirk

My experience.

I flew for years with USAF tri focals.

1. Distance on top
2. Instrument panel in middle
3. Read maps, etc on bottom

NEVER had any problem with the lines. With the tri focals I had the
best of all worlds.

Amen.

I fly a glass panel 182. Trifocals work great.

--
Dan

T-182T at 4R4

Old March 16th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.

I got Lasik a few year ago. The procedure I selected was monocular (one
eyes near, the other far). Then I got glasses just so I could pass the
medical. I can see better without the glasses but can't quite pass without
them, so the regs say I have to wear them...) anyway, make sure you read the
most recent medical standard for the level you want. The new regs call for
a longer distance for the near reading then before and certainly longer then
the eye doctor normally corrects for reading. So bring the reg, show the
Dr. and make sure he follows that requirement, if you do that.

--
BobF.

Old March 16th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 15, 3:40*pm, Kirk Ellis
wrote:
[...]

I wear progressives. No problems.

But each patient is different. You have to decide for yourself. My
glasses cost less than two hours in a C182. Maybe even less than 2
hours in a 172.

At those costs you can try both and decide for yourself.
Old March 16th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

I've read the posts on Progressive lenses and Bi / Tri focal lenses. And I
have both.
I need glasses for distant vision correction and have since my early teen
years. For years I flew in the USAF with prescribed contact lenses, or
regular single prescription lenses to correct for distant vision and the
younger eyes can adjust just fine for up close work.
But we age, and now I have to correct for near vision.

The eyes are too old to make that forced correction on their own and can no
longer adjust from the distant to near with my "distant" corrective lenses..
For most of my work, I wear the contacts and keep reading glasses handy for
computer and reading. Now the time has come that I cannot read a VFR chart
or a standard sized approach chart without reading glass assistance if I
have my contacts on.

I know many pilots that have fine distant vision, but use the half high
reading glasses in the cockpit.

I have used bifocals and find them workable, I am able to read the glass
cockpit panels with no problems at the intermediate range.
I have progressives, I have found from driving a car with the progressive
lenses that the periphery vision is blurred.. not as clear as looking out
the sides of my bifocal lenses. This gives me concern that if flying with my
progressive lenses that distant objects (aircraft) in the periphery will not
be clear and in focus and could easily be missed. I find that I have to look
directly at what I want to see and then adjust my view vertically with the
progressive to find the clearest picture. Not what I want to be dealing with
while flying.

A fellow pilot prefers the bi focal, with the line, he knows which part of
the lenses he is using to see out the window, and to see his instrument
panel. His glasses are adjusted, so that at normal sitting position, the
line of his bifocal is right at the line of the glare shield.

Old March 16th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

Wow, can't believe all the pilots that use tri-focals. I tried 'em
once and threw them away as far as they would go. I've been wearing
progressives for several years now and will never go to a discrete
lens. When I first started using them it took a few days for the brain
to adapt to the distorsion but after that I've never noticed it. But
you have to have good progressives; I forget which brand mine are but
brand makes a huge difference.
--
In all affairs, it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question
mark on the things you have long taken for granted.
Old March 16th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

BT wrote:
[...]

I tried progressives. The Optometrist said most people take a week or
two to adjust and some never do.

I'm one that didn't, the distortion was just too great and agravated
by looking at things with parallel lines.

In a video store looking at the racks I got vertigo so bad I could barely
stand up.

A fellow pilot prefers the bi focal, with the line, he knows which part of
the lenses he is using to see out the window, and to see his instrument
panel. His glasses are adjusted, so that at normal sitting position, the
line of his bifocal is right at the line of the glare shield.

That's what I wound up with. You get the frames with plain glass, sit in
the cockpit and put a piece of tape on the glass where you want the line,
and take them back. Also the Optometrist had me measure the distance from
my nose to the nearest and farthest parts of the panel and set the lenses
for the mid distance so the entire panel is clear.

The most important thing is to have an Optometrist that is willing to
listen and work with you.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.