Instrument overhaul - Are all overhauls created equal?

Old February 4th 05, 12:19 AM
RonLee

Default Instrument overhaul - Are all overhauls created equal?

Today I received the following quotes to overhaul an autopilot DT.
They appear to all be equal except for the price. What am I missing
here??

We charge $804. Our overhaul is a complete with all bearings replaced
and any worn parts replaced with new, including a new rotor assembly.
One year warranty.

Overhaul Price for S-TEC DGI P/N 6406-14L is $695.00
Overhaul consist of replacement of Bearings, Rotor Assy, and any parts
that do not meet OHC specs. We warrantee our overhauls for one year.

We charge $250 plus shipping to overhaul that instrument. Overhaul
consists of new bearings, rotor, cleaning and all adjustments as well
as run-in. We provide a one year warranty

Old February 7th 05, 06:35 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
RonLee wrote:
Today I received the following quotes to overhaul an autopilot DT.
They appear to all be equal except for the price. What am I missing
here??

Note that 1) and 2) replace _anything_ that is 'worn'. 3) doesn't say
anything about anything other than the 'bearings' and the 'rotor'.

1) says they replaces 'worn' parts.
I dunno how much wear is required, before they replace.
2) replaces 'worn beyond OHC specs' parts.
I'm guessing they replace _less_ than vendor #1.

also
1) says that all replacement parts are "new".
2) doesn't say. maybe they're using 'rebuilt' parts, or subbing 'used'
parts in good condition.

I'm *GUESSING* that #3 does a 'minimum' tear-down, replace the critical
bearings and rotor, and re-assemble.

And that the other folks do a more complete tear-down, more thorough/detailed
inspection, additional parts replacement, and then re-assemble.

*OR* it may be that #3 has much cheaper labor available. grin Maybe
somebody semi-retired, who's more interested in 'keeping his hand in' doing
the occasional overhaul, than in the money.

For completeness: it costs $400 or so, just to _ship_ that instrument.

An additional possibility, the way the exchange rates have been going --
1) and 2) are quoting in U.S. dollars, while 3) is quoting in Canadian $.