U-2 conversion thoughts

Old December 9th 11, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default U-2 conversion thoughts

A friend reminded me, again, about the films of rookies landing U-2s and
not knowing to do with the rudder on roll-out or (in some cases) the need
keep the wings level as long as possible.

This reminded me that both are things all glider pilots understand and,
by extrapolation, to wonder why all U-2 candidates aren't converted to
gliders before getting their mitts on a U-2.

Its not as if the USAF doesn't already own gliders, though admittedly a
few DG-1000s would be better than ASK-21s for this task since they don't
have a nosewheel. Regardless, buying a few Twin Astirs or DGs would be
much cheaper than repairing even one ground-looped U-2.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 9th 11, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Dec 8, 4:37*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
A friend reminded me, again, about the films of rookies landing U-2s and
not knowing to do with the rudder on roll-out or (in some cases) the need
keep the wings level as long as possible.

This reminded me that both are things all glider pilots understand and,
by extrapolation, to wonder why all U-2 candidates aren't converted to
gliders before getting their mitts on a U-2.

Its not as if the USAF doesn't already own gliders, though admittedly a
few DG-1000s would be better than ASK-21s for this task since they don't
have a nosewheel. Regardless, buying a few Twin Astirs or DGs would be
much cheaper than repairing even one ground-looped U-2.

The U-2s are home based at Beale AFB, close to Williams Soaring
Center. I remember some U-2 pilots doing glider training there in
years past, but I don't know if it was an official program, or just
for fun. In any case, the U-2s are gradually being retired and
replaced by upgraded GlobalHawks, which should be somewhat easier to
fly from the comfort of ones office 8^)

Marc

Old December 9th 11, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
aerodyne

*In any case, the U-2s are gradually being retired and
replaced by upgraded GlobalHawks, which should be somewhat easier to
fly from the comfort of ones office 8^)

Marc

U-2's cannot be replaced by Global Chicken - look at the payload
disparity. U-2 fleet to go beyond 2018 at least

MM
Old December 9th 11, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

I've done the altitude training and barochamber ride at Beale AFB where U2 and some Global Hawk are based. U2 pilots provided some of the training and we were lucky enough to get a tour of a U2 and Global Hawk by a U2 pilot at the end of the day.

Most of the class were power pilots and some folks from aerospace contractors who required a chamber ride sign off. The U2 pilot described the roll out and ground handling attributes of the U2 and commented it can be a handful... like flying a glider. That got a smile out of the glider pilots present.
Old December 9th 11, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Here is an U-2 landing video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5D9pHfiBBo&feature=fvst

"Darryl Ramm" wrote in message

I've done the altitude training and barochamber ride at Beale AFB where U2
and some Global Hawk are based. U2 pilots provided some of the training and
we were lucky enough to get a tour of a U2 and Global Hawk by a U2 pilot at
the end of the day.

Most of the class were power pilots and some folks from aerospace
contractors who required a chamber ride sign off. The U2 pilot described the
roll out and ground handling attributes of the U2 and commented it can be a
handful... like flying a glider. That got a smile out of the glider pilots
present.

And as Marc mentions some of the U2 pilots to fly out of Williams Soaring at
times. I remember chatting with a young looking guy who was there to take
his girlfriend flying in the ASK-21. Yep one of those U2 pilots. He had no
problem landing the K-21...

Darryl

787 thoughts Sally W Soaring 9 July 13th 07 09:55 PM
More 787 Thoughts David Pye[_2_] Soaring 2 July 13th 07 07:39 PM
My OSH thoughts Hilton Piloting 6 August 4th 05 10:03 PM
What are your thoughts on..... Ben Piloting 55 March 23rd 04 03:50 PM
Your thoughts on this 150 please Paul Folbrecht Owning 8 March 19th 04 02:14 AM