stupid GPS question

Old September 17th 05, 01:30 PM
Jay Honeck

So here's something I've wondered since I first began IFRing: What makes
an
intersection worthy of appearance on a VFR chart?

Here's the rule, straight from the FAR-AIM:

"IFR intersections are depicted on sectional charts only if by doing so
there will be a greater than 50% chance of covering up, obscuring, or
confusing something more important on that chart."

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 17th 05, 02:43 PM
kontiki

Morgans wrote:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote

If you're vfr, nobody cares how you navigate.

So you only use the "VFR GPS onboard", if you want to file direct on a IFR
flight plan?

Technically you don't file "direct" if you can't legally file /G. You
can file direct between navaids. That being said, I have filed direct
(even though I am /U) and got the clearance. Often, I ask for direct
while enroute. Several times I have been asked by ATC if I want direct
while enroute. My Garmin 196 is well more than capable of allowing me
to do that (and everybody else knows it too).

Old September 17th 05, 05:36 PM
Peter Duniho

"kontiki" wrote in message
news
Looking through http://www.airnav.com/airspace/fix/ shows quite a list of
intersections. Most aren't on the sectionals. Are they all on IFR charts?

Yes, and even a few more on STARS and SIDS

*All* are on IFR charts, and a few more are on STARS and SIDS? That's an
odd way of wording it. There would have to be more intersections than all
of them for that to happen.

Besides, the charts depicting STARS and SIDS *are* IFR charts.

Pete

Old September 17th 05, 08:41 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter Duniho wrote:

ThereÂ*wouldÂ*haveÂ*toÂ*beÂ*moreÂ*intersectionsÂ*t hanÂ*all
of them for that to happen.Â*Â*

Douglas Adams once wrote of a computer "with more computing power than all
the computers on Earth, including itself."

- Andrew