Replace (Fix) ADF?

Old October 23rd 03, 12:18 AM
Tom Nery

Default Replace (Fix) ADF?

My '66 Cherokee 180C currently has a T12C ADF. Even though it has analog
tuning, the previous owner installed a Davitron digital frequency
read out so it's not as bad to tune as you'd think.

Anyway, it now longer points to the NDB (actually the needle never moves)
but can successfully tune am radio stations. So my choices a 1 Fix it,
2 Replace it, 3 Remove it.

My plane is currently certified for instrument operation (and I plan
on starting my IFR training shortly). I also have a Garmin 196 (primary)
and a Garmin 195 (backup - came with the plane).

Given the fact that ADF is (someday) being phased up (maybe), what is
the collective wisdom of the group? Which of the three choices
should I pursue?

Tom

Old October 23rd 03, 12:22 AM
Hankal

I have an old ADF and my avionics shop stated that it would cist more than it
is worth to fix it. If it can be fixed the parts may no longer be available
Hank N1441P
Old October 23rd 03, 12:25 AM
BTIZ

placard it as INOP and use it for AM Radio..

check with your CFII and others about the requirement to "use all navaids in
an aircraft" for an instrument check ride, if it's MARKED INOP then you
should not need to demonstrate it's use.

BT

Old October 23rd 03, 12:51 AM

On 22-Oct-2003, "Tom Nery" wrote:

Anyway, it now longer points to the NDB (actually the needle never moves)
but can successfully tune am radio stations. So my choices a 1 Fix it,
2 Replace it, 3 Remove it.

My plane is currently certified for instrument operation (and I plan
on starting my IFR training shortly). I also have a Garmin 196 (primary)
and a Garmin 195 (backup - came with the plane).

Given the fact that ADF is (someday) being phased up (maybe), what is
the collective wisdom of the group? Which of the three choices
should I pursue?

It's probably not worth fixing the T12C's indicator unless the problem is
minor. You probably will not need an ADF for most of your IFR training, and
you are right that they are being supplanted by GPS. However, you do not
have an IFR certified GPS, and many instrument approach procedures,
including a lot of ILSs, require an ADF or GPS, primarily for flying the
published missed approach procedure. If you do not have an operable ADF or
IFR certified GPS you cannot legally fly these approaches. I'd ask my CFII
what he/she recommends as required for practical training in your area.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old October 23rd 03, 01:29 AM
PaulaJay1

In article bfElb.540$9E1.5435@attbi_s52, "Tom Nery"
writes:

Anyway, it now longer points to the NDB (actually the needle never moves)
but can successfully tune am radio stations. So my choices a 1 Fix it,
2 Replace it, 3 Remove it.

My plane is currently certified for instrument operation (and I plan
on starting my IFR training shortly). I also have a Garmin 196 (primary)
and a Garmin 195 (backup - came with the plane).

Given the fact that ADF is (someday) being phased up (maybe), what is
the collective wisdom of the group? Which of the three choices
should I pursue?

When I was getting the Garmin 430 installed a year ago, I got money allowance
for the items removed. However, the ADF was a wash. That is, they would
remove it if I wanted but would give no allowance. Does this tell you what it
is worth and whether you should fix it? It's value is near zero if it was
working. Only reason I can think of to fix it is if you fly a lot to Canada.
They still have NDB approaches without overlays. By the way, the 195 & 196 are
VFR only and do not qualify for IFR flight.

Chuck
Old October 23rd 03, 02:42 AM
dave

I like a ADF for general instrument flying.
i wouldn't be without one unless i had a IFR GPS.
An ADF supplies tons of good information from music to maintaining
directional control when a DG goes belly up.

Just my $0.02 worth

Dave

Old October 23rd 03, 03:04 AM
Mike Spera

When my Edo-Aire would not point to the station, I found that the repair
shop who worked on it last time was out of business. Only other shop who
confessed to know how to fix it was in Canada and would only do T&M.

I looked around on the 'Net and found a fellow's article who wrote for
aviation magazines. He said in his article that he got a new stack and
removed his old avionics, including the Edo-Aire ADF. E-mailed him to
find out the unit worked and was the exact same model as mine. A $250
check mailed to him got me a working unit.

If you can find a slide in exact copy for a reasonable price, you might
consider taking the gamble (that it will work). The cost to legally
REMOVE the inop beast and tray was more than I paid for the replacement.

If yours is inop, you do not have to demonstrate its use in an IFR
checkride. Be sure to put an INOP sticker on it.

If it will tune and the pointer will not move, it may not be all the way
in ADF mode. Most have mode switch with a "REC" position that allows you
to... tune a station without having it point. The purpose was to listen
to the radio without running the goniometer (the phase detector and
motor which drives the indicator). The symptom you describe has many
possible causes, among them, a balky Mode switch (not making proper
contacts to go into "ADF" mode).

You might remove the unit, open up the outer shell, and do some basic
housekeeping (blow out the unit with compressed air, spray contact
cleaner on the contacts, clean up any contacts at the back of the unit
with an eraser or fiberglass brush, reseat any plug-in circuit boards,
etc.). These old units are a real BEAR to disassemble the internal
boards. Don't even try.

Good Luck,
Mike

Tom Nery wrote:
My '66 Cherokee 180C currently has a T12C ADF. Even though it has analog
tuning, the previous owner installed a Davitron digital frequency
read out so it's not as bad to tune as you'd think.

Anyway, it now longer points to the NDB (actually the needle never moves)
but can successfully tune am radio stations. So my choices a 1 Fix it,
2 Replace it, 3 Remove it.

My plane is currently certified for instrument operation (and I plan
on starting my IFR training shortly). I also have a Garmin 196 (primary)
and a Garmin 195 (backup - came with the plane).

Given the fact that ADF is (someday) being phased up (maybe), what is
the collective wisdom of the group? Which of the three choices
should I pursue?

Tom

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old October 23rd 03, 01:59 PM
Bob

I'll take a VFR GPS over an ADF anyday.

If I had one that works I wouldn't get rid of it but I wouldn't spend
a dime on a new one or a fix unless you need it for "legality"
reasons.

Old October 23rd 03, 02:13 PM
Rich Hare

Market price for a T12C seems to be about $10... more with an indicator.
Switching units seems like a low cost experiment.

However,
I seem to remember that the antenna must be turned to the receiver to
reliably point... or maybe it was "tuned to the indicator". Keep that
in mind as you try things out.

Rich

Old October 23rd 03, 02:53 PM
James M. Knox

Rich Hare wrote in :

I seem to remember that the antenna must be turned to the receiver to
reliably point... or maybe it was "tuned to the indicator". Keep that
in mind as you try things out.

There are minor impedance issues depending upon antenna type, cable length
and type, phase of the moon, etc. These can effect the useful range of the
unit. The receiver has a small matching circuit that is normally adjusted
for best performance with the specific aircraft.

OTOH, if it's not too much money for an eBay replacement, it can hardly
have LESS range than the current unit that does not point to ANYTHING! G

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721