Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Old July 25th 19, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Yea very cool!
Old July 25th 19, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 10:34:54 AM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
So I fly out of Ephrata and Arlington, WA. What would make the Canadians happy if I flew into their airspace? I am probably going to install a transponder this winter.

1) You would file an American Flight Plan 1-800-WX-BRIEF (took me forever to figure out that you file the flight plan for the country where you are taking off from)

2) Talk to USA ATC for your area, get a transponder code. In Canada, we squawk 1202 until they give us a different code. You might be able to do this on the ground before taking off.

3) Tell USA ATC as you approach the border that you are leaving, switch over to Canada ATC. I think you would be talking to one of the "East" frequencies on this page. http://www.canairradio.com/bc.html They are likely hailed as Pacific Center.

Not sure what happens if you drop below transponder coverage.
Old July 25th 19, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 7:52:06 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
You need to read up on the laws a little bit. You don’t need to clear customs if you don’t land.

Well, I DID look up the law (reread the post). The FAA clearly states:

All civil, private aircraft entering the U.S. must first land at an airport of entry before continuing to their destinations, unless other arrangements are made with U.S. CBP.

Now, tell me where there is an exception for an aircraft whose final destination is in Canada?

Tom
Old July 25th 19, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

If you fly from the US into Canada, ATC or FSS likely can tell you the adjacent Canadian ATC frequency you need to talk to.

See below for NavCanada FISE:

http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-...tives-rco.aspx

Unfortunately Canada has Class B over 12,500 in low level airways and terminal areas which requires a clearance. Close to the border, Class B holes are few and far between.
Old July 25th 19, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good question. Millions of passengers overfly foreign countries every year. They are not treated as entering each country they fly over. Somehow, flying over doesn't count as entering.
Old July 25th 19, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 9:09:55 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Awesome flight Chester! I recommend in the future to add a comment in OLC indicating the legality of the flight. We often do this when we get clearance to fly in restricted airspace, to calm down the fun police. I am waiting for Tom (2G) to say “sorry, my bad for not checking with the pilot before posting”.

Ramy

Ramy, I DID read his comments: it said nothing about obtaining a clearance to enter the US. Had he, we wouldn't be discussing it now - and he should have (I included that for a flight that passed thru Clover Control's restricted area).

BTW, what does fun have to do with following FARs, anyhow?

Tom
Old July 25th 19, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 2:50:42 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 9:09:55 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Awesome flight Chester! I recommend in the future to add a comment in OLC indicating the legality of the flight. We often do this when we get clearance to fly in restricted airspace, to calm down the fun police. I am waiting for Tom (2G) to say “sorry, my bad for not checking with the pilot before posting”.

Ramy

Ramy, I DID read his comments: it said nothing about obtaining a clearance to enter the US. Had he, we wouldn't be discussing it now - and he should have (I included that for a flight that passed thru Clover Control's restricted area).

BTW, what does fun have to do with following FARs, anyhow?

Tom

This conversation sent me searching the interweb for an explanation:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...hey-were-wrong

Without the humiliatingly incorrect use of CAPS LOCK in the thread title I might never have learned the useful procedure for legal flight across our northern border. I'm thankful for that.

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old July 25th 19, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:50:42 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 9:09:55 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Awesome flight Chester! I recommend in the future to add a comment in OLC indicating the legality of the flight. We often do this when we get clearance to fly in restricted airspace, to calm down the fun police. I am waiting for Tom (2G) to say “sorry, my bad for not checking with the pilot before posting”.

Ramy

Ramy, I DID read his comments: it said nothing about obtaining a clearance to enter the US. Had he, we wouldn't be discussing it now - and he should have (I included that for a flight that passed thru Clover Control's restricted area).

BTW, what does fun have to do with following FARs, anyhow?

Tom

Yep, I didn't expect you will admit your post was wrong, especially the subject saying "ILLEGAL". But Chester is much more forgiving than I am, and it was good to discuss the procedures for flying across the borders legally, so I'll rest my case.

Ramy
Old July 25th 19, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote on 7/25/2019 9:52 AM:
[...]

I'm pleased your flight was legal. I'm not likely to try a cross-border flight,
but now I can fantasize about it more knowledgeably.

Did USA ATC have you use "flight following"? Did you have to have a flight plan
for the entire flight, or just the US portion? And I wonder about each countries
ATC response to several gliders on the same mission the same day.